BBO Discussion Forums: Can we have more setting for browser version, like colors? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can we have more setting for browser version, like colors?

#1 User is offline   olegdolgik 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-October-10, 13:04

Colors, own sounds for different events(30 secs before tournament, start of tournament, start of the deal, etc.), may be even default position for some elements, like warnings in express tournament?

It's just inconvenient when information about you will be replaced soon shown on green background at the bottom of the screen, especially if it's replacing exactly same information about your RHO.. I would like place it in center, and if it's about me - see it more clearly, like BIG RED BOX.
Can it be it all exists somewhere but i missed it?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-October-10, 13:37

View Postolegdolgik, on 2016-October-10, 13:04, said:

Colors, own sounds for different events(30 secs before tournament, start of tournament, start of the deal, etc.), may be even default position for some elements, like warnings in express tournament?

It's just inconvenient when information about you will be replaced soon shown on green background at the bottom of the screen, especially if it's replacing exactly same information about your RHO.. I would like place it in center, and if it's about me - see it more clearly, like BIG RED BOX.
Can it be it all exists somewhere but i missed it?

We have deliberately chosen to keep the number of options in the web and mobile versions of BBO to the bare minimum. The old version had dozens of settings, and we decided that was too confusing.

#3 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-10, 14:51

View Postbarmar, on 2016-October-10, 13:37, said:

We have deliberately chosen to keep the number of options in the web and mobile versions of BBO to the bare minimum. The old version had dozens of settings, and we decided that was too confusing.

I want to take this opportunity to say how misguided I think this policy is. I refer specifically to the web version since I can see that by its nature a mobile version will want to be condensed. The BBO management understandably wants to cater to the majority of users who are very casual players and would find any extra settings unnecessary. There are however the heavier users who would find greater functionality and more options incredibly useful. I'll take the time old example of the sound settings. I've lost count of how many times on the forums people (often me!) have asked for more sound options - most specifically to have the option to remove that god-awful chh-chh card noise. At least once I've seen BBO staff say that they don't like to include these options because it's confusing. I love BBO but honestly this is total nonsense.

How can it be confusing to, say, include an "advanced" options menu? And a setting such as "return to default". It makes no sense to say this is confusing - people are not idiots. In fact there is already an advanced option menu. It includes a toggle for the ability to click on a players' name to see their profile... Why do we need this option I ask you!?

If there are other reasons for less functionality such as programming issues then I would be more understanding, but it's not confusing to have more options. Rather it improves the experience for a small but presumably valuable user base.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-10, 16:38

The old Einstein mis-quote applies: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-10, 22:03

View PostTylerE, on 2016-October-10, 16:38, said:

The old Einstein mis-quote applies: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Personally I feel that there are quite a few features in the desktop version missing in the mobile version that I regret, although I am more into genuine features rather than look-and-feel.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-10, 23:02

View Postbarmar, on 2016-October-10, 13:37, said:

I don't think that this is what you ended up with though.

I never had any issues finding anything on the browser version, the web version often has me wanting to hurl the computer into a snowbank, I can't find anything easilly, everything is scattered all over the place. I know you have some excellent options on there that the download version doesn't have but I usually can't FIND them, especially if in a hurry. I have absolutely no idea how in the world you do adjustments on the web version. I was trying to figure that out today so I'd know when the time came and I couldn't figure it out. I am quite willing to believe that if you can crack the code it is probably much easier to do them. Aside from anything else, halfway through the tourney the results area simply stopped showing results. No matter what I tried, the results would not show up any more. It was just fortunate that no adjustments were needed.

Instead of things being complicated for the staff and simple for the user, it seems now to be the other way around.

However, probably the thing I find most irritating is the tiny chat box system on the web. Chat vanishes and if two or three people are trying to talk to you it's absolutely infuriating trying to track what was said and by whom. Chat boxes sitting in the middle of the screen are annoying, so is trying to find some place to park it so it isn't in the way. Teaching sessions are just frustrating unless they use voice, there's no room to type anything so people cannot save notes. The old version may have had dozens of settings that the staff had to cope with, but it was/is a whole lot simpler for the USER. Some of the options on the web are probably terrific for the users if they could only find them or even know about them. I frequently even have to hold hands so people can find the voice option and that's one that IS clear. That one, BBO got right.

Something else much more complicated now is seeing who is kibbing. Browser, you went to the kib box and there they were. Now you have to go find a button among the dozen or so tabs and buttons and click on it and then try to sort out who is where,and on the side there are all these totally unrelated comments from entirely different tables being posted, what's that about? LESS confusing? hardly. I don't want any of that, I just want to know who is kibbing the table.

People trying to come to the club for teaching sessions have to be told to click on "show full tables" or they get stranded outside the club, is another example of a new option. Does anyone really need to be told there are no empty seats in a club? It's no faster than just getting into the club, and seeing for themselves what the story is, and is just irritating.

I know several people who no longer play on BBO at all because they can't or won't deal with the web version, some are even paying to play on other sites. It's unfortunate, and I wonder sometimes if that's why there definitely seems to be fewer people playing on BBO now than there were a few years ago.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-October-11, 08:58

View Postonoway, on 2016-October-10, 23:02, said:

I don't think that this is what you ended up with though.

I never had any issues finding anything on the browser version, the web version often has me wanting to hurl the computer into a snowbank, I can't find anything easilly, everything is scattered all over the place.

Almost everything is in the Options menu. There are a couple of options related to display of hands that can differ between a table that you're playing at and the movies in the My Results column, so these are set by right-clicking on the appropriate table display.

#8 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-11, 09:09

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-October-10, 22:03, said:

Personally I feel that there are quite a few features in the desktop version missing in the mobile version that I regret, although I am more into genuine features rather than look-and-feel.

Oh I agree. web BBO is well past the point of 'but no simpler'.

#9 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-12, 10:31

I know I've said it before, but can we please have "sound, but no card swish?" Would be nice if we could accept any or all of the sounds, but that is *so* irritating that it's worth it to *not* get notification of anything just to have that thing go away.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users