Make 2 Spades

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-10, 03:47

Opening lead is the King.

Experts, please use spoilers. Like my hint -
Spoiler

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-10, 13:53

Doesn't seem too hard.

Spoiler

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-10, 18:45

chasetb asks "Opening lead is the King. Experts, please use spoilers."

Non-expert effort
Spoiler

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-10, 19:49

View Postbillw55, on 2016-October-10, 13:53, said:

Doesn't seem too hard.

Spoiler

How will you play if they never play spades?

Assume they cashed 3 diamonds and continued clubs. When you play 2 rounds of East took it and played 3rd round of . Will you play for 4-3 or will you ruff high? Which one are you ruffing with?
You have to ruff with J in case W has T. Just to see clubs were actually 4-3. And ruff 3rd in dummy. Now what?
Assume you cashed A one round. And then? Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-11, 01:32

View Postbillw55, on 2016-October-10, 13:53, said:

Doesn't seem too hard.

Spoiler

Not so simple,somebody may have 10xx & may overruff 3/4 or 4th .As East shown 3carder you are to ruff 4th high.So you are to preserve one high in hand to take two trump tricks.If they return a trump,it is easy as you are getting a free finesse.But if they continue with ,, you either have to assume West has 3carder or finesse 10 /assume its position in East or West hand.

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-October-11, 08:00

Spoiler

#7 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-11, 08:17

View Postnige1, on 2016-October-11, 08:00, said:

Spoiler

You can ruff only twice & they have already taken 5 tricks.

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-October-11, 10:04

View Postalok c, on 2016-October-11, 08:17, said:

You can ruff only twice & they have already taken 5 tricks.
Duh! alok c is right :) Perhaps there's no safe line :(

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-11, 12:23

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-10, 19:49, said:

How will you play if they never play spades?

Assume they cashed 3 diamonds and continued clubs. When you play 2 rounds of East took it and played 3rd round of . Will you play for 4-3 or will you ruff high? Which one are you ruffing with?
You have to ruff with J in case W has T. Just to see clubs were actually 4-3. And ruff 3rd in dummy. Now what?

By this point I may have some additional clues about the distribution. The auction is at least encouraging. As Nigel says, perhaps there is no sure trick line. But 6 trump tricks are obviously necessary (and none for the defense) so alternatives are limited.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-11, 17:02

You can safely ruff a heart in dummy because East has shown 3 hearts. If opponents don't play trumps, you either have to ruff the 4th heart with the 8 or ruff a club with 9. Without more details about the distribution, you don't know who has 10. Looks like a 50-50 chance either opponent could have it. But ruffing a club with 9 gives an additional chance since clubs may be 4-3 so West can't overruff, and if they are 5-2, then maybe they can't overruff.

#11 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-12, 05:38

I agree - there is no 100% line of play that I can see and the choice comes down to either ruffing the third club with the 9 or the fourth heart with the 8.

The lead of the K is consistent with an original KX, KQX or even KQXX. Ruffing the third round of clubs with the 9 only fails if West led from KX and started with 10X(X)(X).

The chance of a diamond trick should not be dismissed. West has already shown the king of clubs and if west's one heart bid includes a heart honour it seems to me that the chances of finding East with both the ace and king of diamonds are quite good, given that East opened the bidding.

I think the best line is: win A, cash the A and exit in hearts. The defence may cash their five tricks (although if East has AK this might not be possible) and will probably then lead a club - take a deep breath and ruff with the 9. If it succeeds the contract makes on a high cross-ruff.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-12, 07:04

View PostTramticket, on 2016-October-12, 05:38, said:

I agree - there is no 100% line of play that I can see and the choice comes down to either ruffing the third club with the 9 or the fourth heart with the 8.

The lead of the K is consistent with an original KX, KQX or even KQXX. Ruffing the third round of clubs with the 9 only fails if West led from KX and started with 10X(X)(X).

The chance of a diamond trick should not be dismissed. West has already shown the king of clubs and if west's one heart bid includes a heart honour it seems to me that the chances of finding East with both the ace and king of diamonds are quite good, given that East opened the bidding.

I think the best line is: win A, cash the A and exit in hearts. The defence may cash their five tricks (although if East has AK this might not be possible) and will probably then lead a club - take a deep breath and ruff with the 9. If it succeeds the contract makes on a high cross-ruff.

W was not on lead. E led K Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-12, 07:19

Indeed there is no safe line.Another line of play is take A,A & exit a .After taking their 5 tricks if East leads 3rd ruff high, ruff a,cash A,ruff ahigh & take finesse through West -it will be successful whenever West held 10 even if he held xx.So for different line of play to succeed ultimately it boils down to how many West holds or position of 10.

#14 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-12, 07:57

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-12, 07:04, said:

W was not on lead. E led K Posted Image

Oops! :)

Lots of space for west to have a top diamond then and I fear that the diamond suit is unlikely to supply a trick!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users