Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Challenge Gib

#1 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-09, 21:54

Currently we have challenge a stranger, and challenge a friend. I'd like to suggesting adding challenge Gib. Identical to challenging a stranger, but Gib is at the other table.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-09, 23:25

Seconded. There have been several suggestions of late being a variation on this theme, for a variety of tournament formats. Maybe it will gain traction. There is a cost issue to address.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-10, 02:19

Good idea.
However, I think Gib has no great ability to play against human at present.
Maybe it can do in the future.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-10, 04:28

View Postsmerriman, on 2016-October-09, 21:54, said:

Currently we have challenge a stranger, and challenge a friend. I'd like to suggesting adding challenge Gib. Identical to challenging a stranger, but Gib is at the other table.
Good idea but Gib is my friend :)

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-10, 06:30

View Postlycier, on 2016-October-10, 02:19, said:

However, I think Gib has no great ability to play against human at present.

GIB does get tested against human players by the programmers. The results of that testing are not generally published. However we were given a bit of insight maybe a couple of years ago when Uday advised in these forums that GIB was (at that time) turning in about a 57% game against a human cross-section of BBO. So, while I may agree that this does not qualify as a "great ability", it may still be a worthy opponent.

Let's not confuse the issue with GIB playing against human opponents on the same table. At that I would expect GIB to fail miserably. But two tables comprising 7 GIB players and 1 average human player could give rise to an interesting comparison.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users