• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Misunderstanding query

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-11, 09:20

I've tried teaching it to a couple of partners. Their response: "No. I can't remember that." :blink:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-October-11, 09:21

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-October-11, 08:39, said:

If any lesson is to be learned from this then it is that EW should not ask such questions. Questions almost always put opps at risk of providing asnwers that result in UI. Here, luckily, it probably didn't matter. But next time it might. Of course you sometimes have to ask questions. But in this case it is hard to see why EW needed to ask about 4NT before the end of the auction.

Uh oh, I smell a SB post coming. He'd happily point out that he's entitled to ask questions regardless of whether he needs to know the answer, it's not his problem if this gives the opponents UI headaches (and if they mess that up, he'll pounce and take advantage of it). And in fact, not asking transmits UI that he doesn't need to know the answer to the question -- he should ask consistently to avoid this.

#23 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-11, 09:21

View Postbarmar, on 2016-October-11, 09:17, said:

Maybe on your side of the pond.

Probably more a question of level than on side of the pond. I don't think there are any textbooks (other than maybe some that don't teach transfers) that recommend anything else so in that sense it is absolutely standard. But yes, I don't think there are any of my IRL partners (since Manudude and I moved in opposite directions away from Lancaster) who would know.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-October-11, 09:27

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-October-11, 09:21, said:

Probably more a question of level than on side of the pond.

Yeah, I consider part of "expert standard". I just checked, it's in Bridge World Standard. But it's a relatively obscure treatment -- like you said, it's not covered in textbooks, so many intermediate/advanced players don't know it until someone passes it on to them.

Kind of like how many RKCB tutorials don't go into void-showing responses.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users