Pd has majors.

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-09, 02:22

Cross imps.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-09, 03:18

What is the style?, I have some partners that would only bid 2 with 5-5 around opening values at least, but I know others who would do it with 5-4 with 6 HCP. Probably the standard is in the middle.

It is a missfit, so going low seems best, 2 is what I would bid unless partner is really solid.

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-09, 03:36

2s no problem yet

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-09, 03:40

MrAce's cross-imp problem.

I rank
1. 2 = NAT. You might miss game but it's non-vul. IMO partner promises no more than KJxxx AJxxx xx x
2. 2N = ASK. Suggested responses: 3 = MIN. 3 = MIN longer s. 3 = MAX. 3 = MAX longer s.
3. 3N = NAT. to play.
4. 3S = INV. Would prefer to have another .
5. 4S = NAT. Brave,

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-09, 06:01

View PostFluffy, on 2016-October-09, 03:18, said:

What is the style?, I have some partners that would only bid 2 with 5-5 around opening values at least, but I know others who would do it with 5-4 with 6 HCP. Probably the standard is in the middle.

It is a missfit, so going low seems best, 2 is what I would bid unless partner is really solid.

5-5 minimum shape. No hcp restrictions. But not total trash.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-October-09, 09:04

Here you are with an opening bid equivalent and partner shows the two suits you really don't have. But you do have honors in the suits partner has. What to do???

Anything could be right or wrong. It seems likely that West has length and the hand is a misfit all around. There's always a slight chance that West has 3 and both majors which isn't much better. Anyhow, experience should be telling you to be conservative with potential misfits.

I'm bidding 2 also. I find it hard to bid more especially NV when partner can have less than an opener and be pushing the bidding envelope. If partner makes 4, that's just due to the fog of the hand. Of course, if partner makes any further move showing good values/distribution, then you can come to life. Hey, and on a good day, the opponents may decide to compete further in the minors which wouldn't exactly displease you.

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-09, 09:25

Even if partner has extras blockages in the majors are a concern. I'd just bid 2S. A normal minimum looks like ATxxx AJxxx x xx. Why would I want to try for game across from this?

This is actually a good time for split range Michaels.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-09, 10:15

2 seems like enough here with an outside chance that partner can move or the opponents aren't done bidding yet.

Red I would probably try 2nt and depending on our methods and end up in 3 down 1, sigh. I HATE any notion that partner can be 5-4 opposite my unpassed hand and mediocre 5-5's overcall 1 (red) in my partnership.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-October-10, 15:34

They opened in a minor. Our chances of 25+ HCP is about 3%. Looks like we have 13 major suit cards and 13 minor suit cards. Not conclusive to making lots of tricks. Cross imps. A small plus score of 2+2 is only a disaster if a large portion of the field finds 4=. The conservative 2 is enough.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-11, 05:02

Thanks to all replies.
I also bid 2

Pd had

K9652
QJ943
A
K5

1 opener held

AJT8
AT72
JT5
Q7

I made 2 +1 for +1.64 imps. 4 is makeable but noone bid 4
9 out of 15 bid 3 NT. 4 of them made it and gained +8 imps.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-11, 09:26

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-11, 05:02, said:

Thanks to all replies.

A silent win for the style where this is a 1 overcall followed by a heart rebid. This is the issue with wide-ranging Michaels although its practitioners will say that the wins vastly outweigh the problem hands. You do not have to change the hands very much for game to be almost certain with 2 remaining the mainstream choice. Both split-range and strong (10 or so +) Michaels are both considerably easier to handle for mere mortals, even if the trend is running against this.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-11, 11:24

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-October-11, 09:26, said:

Both split-range and strong Michaels are both considerably easier to handle for mere mortals, even if the trend is running against this.

Not a trend I will be following.

It's legit style wise but 6 pts in the majors with no particular body cards and 1/2 a quick trick versus 7 in the minors with 1 1/2 quick doesn't fly with me.

Sure it wins its share but perhaps the losses are masked by opponents playing the same thing and turning them into pushes? Maybe not this hand but if the offence/defence ratio can be this skewed I can see some competitive bidding and defensive disasters on opening lead happening.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users