BBO Discussion Forums: Am I permitted to blow a fuse? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Am I permitted to blow a fuse? (very occasionally)

#21 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-11, 16:13

At the table there is only one person on your side. If the top players are an example after the competition they tear strips of each other then start over as if nothing has happened. I find artificial politeness offensive. However two friends can say things to each other without creating offence.

#22 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-20, 16:18

I'm well aware that you have to be very careful about ever saying anything negative to partner, for fear of creating 'offence' - as you say.

The other day I was partnered by a novice - someone who'd actually been quite honest about it and put 'novice' on their profile! For all their candour, they played a pretty reasonable game. In one hand, as declarer, partner made one or two minor slip-ups. At the end of the hand, I posted something like 'would you mind if I made some comments?' Partner agreed, so I then explained what I saw as a better line, gaining an extra trick. (I may be wrong of course :huh: ). Partner thanked me. That's what I understand as having a friendly exchange with partner. It's what makes bridge enjoyable!

On the other hand, with a different partner on a different occasion, someone who's carded themself as 'advanced' or 'expert' or whatever. Also as declarer, and me as dummy powerless to intervene, they committed what I'd class as a real 'beginner's mistake'. Judge for yourself. Dummy's holding QTxx, and declarer holding AKJ, and with no other entries to dummy after trumps are drawn, and defence leads a club. Declarer plays low from dummy and wins with the Jack! I mean - yes I might drop that clanger if I was half asleep, I admit it! - but I'd certainly apologise to partner afterwards.

This partner didn't, I'm sorry to say. In fact they were a bit cavalier. I kept my cool - this time. I think.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users