• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do You Fix This? Re-establishing a working U.S. government

#61 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-27, 00:39

View Postbarmar, on 2016-October-26, 19:37, said:

Who is arguing that we shouldn't fix mistakes? Not me.

It seemed like you were saying that we can't convict people in the first place because we can never be sure beyond a reasonable doubt. Or that when we discover errors, it calls all previous convictions into question. Maybe I misunderstood you.

The question I raised is the following. Person X is convicted. Person X has exhausted all their appeals. Person X obtains new evidence that proves that they are innocent. Does X have a constitutional right to present this evidence in court, and a right to have their conviction overturned if they can indeed convince the court of their proof of evidence?

SCOTUS has quite carefully avoided answering this question. I think the answer is obviously "yes". SCOTUS' refusal to answer this question has the practical consequence of clearly innocent prisoners staying in jail.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#62 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-27, 02:39

View Postcherdano, on 2016-October-27, 00:39, said:

The question I raised is the following. Person X is convicted. Person X has exhausted all their appeals. Person X obtains new evidence that proves that they are innocent. Does X have a constitutional right to present this evidence in court, and a right to have their conviction overturned if they can indeed convince the court of their proof of evidence?

SCOTUS has quite carefully avoided answering this question. I think the answer is obviously "yes". SCOTUS' refusal to answer this question has the practical consequence of clearly innocent prisoners staying in jail.

But what does it mean that X "obtains evidence"? Isn't it the job of the court to decide if that is indeed the case? And isn't it reasonable that at some point the appeals are exhausted, to prevent an endless sequence of appeals?

I think the safeguard here must be that the governor or president can pardon X.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#63 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-27, 02:46

View Postkenberg, on 2016-October-26, 08:38, said:

"litmus test" is perhaps vague in this context, after all it is borrowed from chemistry. But the common understanding is that the potential Justice will be asked how s/he would rule on certain issues and, if the answer is unsatisfactory, the person is out.

Why is this? It seems to me that a perfectly good Litmus test would be that a judge has a record of ruling consistently rather than following the fashion of public opinion, or even just someone that you would not mind having a long dinner sat next to. It perhaps says something about the nature of American politics when such a phrase can acquire such a specific and charged meaning. Has HC clarified exactly what she herself meant?
(-: Zel :-)

#64 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-October-27, 02:52

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-October-27, 02:39, said:

And isn't it reasonable that at some point the appeals are exhausted

Is it? Surely it is at least as reasonable to allow hearings for a judge to decide if new evidence has enough merit to warrant a new appeal rather than limiting a person to a fixed number of appeals. Otherwise you can have the situation of new evidence coming in that is not immediately conclusive in showing X to be innocent but very likely calls a conviction into question and now the Governor has to make a personal decision, perhaps one that might swing votes for their re-election, rather than going through the due process in a court.

#65 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-October-27, 03:01

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-October-27, 02:39, said:

But what does it mean that X "obtains evidence"? Isn't it the job of the court to decide if that is indeed the case?

I am not sure what you mean by this. In the adversarial US legal system, evidence can only be considered by a court if one of the two parties provides this evidence. (There might be exceptions to that, not sure, but as a general rule it holds.) The court makes no effort to obtain evidence on its own.

I don't think a rule allowing for post-appeal evidence that proves innocence would lead to endless appeals in all but a few cases. The bar would be extremely high. The defendant could file a claim saying "Please consider the attached evidence proving that I am innocent." Unless the judge finds that this may well prove innocence, and agrees that the defendant couldn't have known of this evidence earlier, he'd throw this claim out without a hearing, and the defendant would gain nothing but legal costs.

There is no such finality on other possible due process claims, either. For example, I believe in most US states defendants could file claims of Brady violations (prosecutors withholding important evidence that is helpful to the defense) at any point, as long as they did not learn of these violations earlier. This does not lead to endless appeals except in cases where prosecutors withheld evidence.

In fact, let me continue my original point. Again, personally I would argue that prosecutors intentionally withholding exculpatory evidence is an obvious violation of due process, and thus defendants should have a constitutional right to bring such a claim at any time (within a reasonable period of the defendant learning of such a violation). Yet to my knowledge neither SCOTUS nor federal courts have found this to be the case (that's why I wrote "most states" not "all states" above).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#66 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-October-27, 03:25

View Postcherdano, on 2016-October-27, 03:01, said:

In fact, let me continue my original point. Again, personally I would argue that prosecutors intentionally withholding exculpatory evidence is an obvious violation of due process, and thus defendants should have a constitutional right to bring such a claim at any time (within a reasonable period of the defendant learning of such a violation). Yet to my knowledge neither SCOTUS nor federal courts have found this to be the case (that's why I wrote "most states" not "all states" above).

Has there ever been a case in America of a defendant being denied the right to appeal where a prosecutor has deliberately withheld significant evidence that would call the conviction into question? (other than during the days of the KKK)

#67 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-October-27, 04:34

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-October-27, 03:25, said:

Has there ever been a case in America of a defendant being denied the right to appeal where a prosecutor has deliberately withheld significant evidence that would call the conviction into question? (other than during the days of the KKK)

If there is a time limit, defendant cannot even file an appeal. Yes, this has happened.
Side note: intention by the prosecutor is irrelevant.

#68 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-October-27, 07:39

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-October-27, 02:52, said:

Is it? Surely it is at least as reasonable to allow hearings for a judge to decide if new evidence has enough merit to warrant a new appeal rather than limiting a person to a fixed number of appeals. Otherwise you can have the situation of new evidence coming in that is not immediately conclusive in showing X to be innocent but very likely calls a conviction into question and now the Governor has to make a personal decision, perhaps one that might swing votes for their re-election, rather than going through the due process in a court.

Yes you are right. Thanks.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#69 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-October-27, 12:23

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-October-27, 03:25, said:

If you do a plea deal you lose many rights of appeal, not all but many/most. Roughly 99% of federal cases end in a plea deal. Most state/local cases end in a plea deal.

Keep in mind that today most trials really mean the period before trail called "discovery". To answer your question, yes there have been examples of where the prosecutor has been found to deliberately withhold significant evidence during "discovery" There have been many more accusations of such withholding but the judge found it to be insignificant in their judgement.

#70 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-October-27, 12:33

View Postcherdano, on 2016-October-27, 00:39, said:

It is important to note that the vast number of appeals do not deal with the issue of whether person x is innocent. The question most often is was the law followed.

So regarding the issue of new evidence found years later the issue is what is the law in the given jurisdiction regarding presenting new evidence after the trial. Not all "new evidence" is equal under the law, the law varies from place to place.

In general judges and the law make it very very difficult to overturn the trial court decision.

#71 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-October-28, 09:32

View Postmike777, on 2016-October-27, 12:33, said:

It is important to note that the vast number of appeals do not deal with the issue of whether person x is innocent. The question most often is was the law followed.

True. The general idea is that as long as due process was followed and the defendant received a fair trial, the decision stands.

So regarding the issue of new evidence found years later the issue is what is the law in the given jurisdiction regarding presenting new evidence after the trial. Not all "new evidence" is equal under the law, the law varies from place to place.

In general judges and the law make it very very difficult to overturn the trial court decision.

Yeah, we don't want to be forever retrying cases.

I think it depends on the nature of the new evidence. If it's evidence that the defense could have found and presented in the original trial, but for some reason they didn't, they don't get a second bite at the apple. But if it was infeasible at the time, they may get another chance. That's why DNA evidence works for reopening very old cases: if DNA analysis technology was not adequate at the time of the original trial, that's not the defendant's fault, and we presume the defense would have presented it if they could (or if the police had done the DNA check, they probably wouldn't have charged him in the first place).

#72 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-October-28, 10:25

View Postbarmar, on 2016-October-28, 09:32, said:

True. The general idea is that as long as due process was followed and the defendant received a fair trial, the decision stands.

Yeah, we don't want to be forever retrying cases.

I think it depends on the nature of the new evidence. If it's evidence that the defense could have found and presented in the original trial, but for some reason they didn't, they don't get a second bite at the apple. But if it was infeasible at the time, they may get another chance. That's why DNA evidence works for reopening very old cases: if DNA analysis technology was not adequate at the time of the original trial, that's not the defendant's fault, and we presume the defense would have presented it if they could (or if the police had done the DNA check, they probably wouldn't have charged him in the first place).

Am not sure historical precedent is with you here Barry. Take the other big DNA scandal, that of statistical probability. In the early days of forensic evidence it was standard practice for the Prosecution to present astronomical numbers for the likelihood of the defendant not being guilty given the evidence presented. Obviously defence lawyers were able to challenge these numbers but they were widely believed and accepted leading to many convictions. Some time later it was shown that the entire basis for the probabilities was completely false and this led to re-trials and appeals in most advanced countries, presumably also in America. It was not new evidence so much as the old evidence being re-examined. New evidence comes in many forms.

A further point is this. If you are able to afford a good defence lawyer they are much less likely not to have found a vital piece of evidence and presented it. Not accepting evidence that proves someone's innocence because of lax work by the defence team strikes me as a penalty against the poor, which goes against the widely accepted ideal of justice being blind. In truth the poor have more than enough disadvantages in the legal process without adding additional artificial ones.

#73 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-October-28, 10:52

It is rare very rare for a defense to have a team. In practice you get lawyer with a bunch of other cases...only on tv or the very rich do you see these "teams" going out and looking all around for evidence. Keep in mind at the federal level 99% of cases end in a plea deal, not a trial...I also expect the number is very high for local cases.

On a civil case where money is involved, a lot of money paid by some insurance company you may get your lawyer to do a bit of searching.

#74 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 01:54

A question of justice; http://deadstate.org...nd-tear-gassed/

Armed white men attempting to seize land are acquitted while unarmed people peacefully protesting are shot with rubber bullets, bitten by attack dogs, their horses shot at with real bullets (one killed) people injured with the combined might of riot police from 5 states brought in to force them off their own land so as to permit big oil to move through there without issues. In the meantime, Sunoco has just had a pipeline fail and pollute miles of river elsewhere, underlining the validity of the Dakota Sioux concerns. Broken promises once again.

Clinton was asked for help and basically said nothing, only that everyone ought to talk to each other, Trump reportedly asked why the Indians dont pay taxes.

The Treaty Camp is named in reference to the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie, which designated the land as belonging to the Great Sioux Nation. Despite the order to halt construction by three federal agencies, DAPL construction has encroached approximately 17 miles into the 20-mile voluntary exclusion zone.

If those white men had not been white, they would undoubtedly have been labelled terrorists and the book thrown at them. Give them names like Mohammad and the public outcry for blood would have been heard across the country. But publicly funded police being used to attack people camping on their own land is perfectly acceptable..as long as they aren't white. Or rich.

Just what will it take for the US to become the country it claims to be? At the moment it looks to be unravelling at the seams, to say the least.

#75 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-October-29, 03:35

View Postmike777, on 2016-October-28, 10:52, said:

It is rare very rare for a defense to have a team.

This is patently untrue Mike. The lawyer will usually have at least one admin clerk to call upon and the clerk will often attend hearings in place of the lawyer if no legal arguments are required, such as entering a guilty plea. This is not inconsistent with the lawyer also having many other cases and (usually) not doing any investigative work. In general, the police are assumed to have investigated any substantial evidence.

#76 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-October-29, 09:40

If you want to see what it's like for poor defendants, I suggest watching the TV show "The Night Before", which was on HBO a few months ago. IANAL, but from what I've read it was a pretty realistic portrayal.

#77 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-October-29, 09:42

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-October-29, 03:35, said:

This is patently untrue Mike. The lawyer will usually have at least one admin clerk to call upon and the clerk will often attend hearings in place of the lawyer if no legal arguments are required, such as entering a guilty plea. This is not inconsistent with the lawyer also having many other cases and (usually) not doing any investigative work. In general, the police are assumed to have investigated any substantial evidence.

That's hardly a "team". I think Mike was talking about something that looks like the OJ defense team: several lawyers armed with their firms' paralegals.

#78 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-October-29, 12:27

View Postonoway, on 2016-October-29, 01:54, said:

A question of justice; http://deadstate.org...nd-tear-gassed/

Armed white men attempting to seize land are acquitted while unarmed people peacefully protesting are shot with rubber bullets, bitten by attack dogs, their horses shot at with real bullets (one killed) people injured with the combined might of riot police from 5 states brought in to force them off their own land so as to permit big oil to move through there without issues. In the meantime, Sunoco has just had a pipeline fail and pollute miles of river elsewhere, underlining the validity of the Dakota Sioux concerns. Broken promises once again.

Clinton was asked for help and basically said nothing, only that everyone ought to talk to each other, Trump reportedly asked why the Indians dont pay taxes.

The Treaty Camp is named in reference to the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie, which designated the land as belonging to the Great Sioux Nation. Despite the order to halt construction by three federal agencies, DAPL construction has encroached approximately 17 miles into the 20-mile voluntary exclusion zone.

If those white men had not been white, they would undoubtedly have been labelled terrorists and the book thrown at them. Give them names like Mohammad and the public outcry for blood would have been heard across the country. But publicly funded police being used to attack people camping on their own land is perfectly acceptable..as long as they aren't white. Or rich.

Just what will it take for the US to become the country it claims to be? At the moment it looks to be unravelling at the seams, to say the least.

As to your main point which you discuss in your last sentence there may be more truth there than many of us care to admit.
A revolution often happens when there is distrust in a country's institutions. It takes less than a majority to lose trust.

As to this particular example to be fair it is much more complicated than you lay out. The whole Indian nation within a nation is complicated and confusing at best. I doubt anyone disagrees with you on how over 200-300+ years the Indians have been treated.

Here is a partial list of some of the issues involved.
http://www.cnn.com/2...line-explainer/

--------------------

Judge Rules That Construction Can Proceed On Dakota Access Pipeline
http://www.npr.org/s...access-pipeline

#79 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-October-29, 14:30

View Postmike777, on 2016-October-29, 12:27, said:

As to your main point which you discuss in your last sentence there may be more truth there than many of us care to admit.
A revolution often happens when there is distrust in a country's institutions. It takes less than a majority to lose trust.

As to this particular example to be fair it is much more complicated than you lay out. The whole Indian nation within a nation is complicated and confusing at best. I doubt anyone disagrees with you on how over 200-300+ years the Indians have been treated.

Here is a partial list of some of the issues involved.
http://www.cnn.com/2...line-explainer/

--------------------

Judge Rules That Construction Can Proceed On Dakota Access Pipeline
http://www.npr.org/s...access-pipeline

Mike777,
Speaking of revolution, I would like to hear your views on this.

I’m not the smartest guy you’ve ever met, or the hardest-working. I was a mediocre student. I’m not technical at all—I can’t write a word of code. What sets me apart, I think, is a tolerance for risk and an intuition about what will happen in the future. Seeing where things are headed is the essence of entrepreneurship. And what do I see in our future now?
I see pitchforks.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#80 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 15:45

The last revolution was sexual in nature, peace and love and we now know where that has led.
Doom-sayers and cry-babies will always see a falling sky. The US has been an imperialist war-monger for over a century. They may just have failed to switch over to the economic war meme, in time to avoid Chinese domination of a world led by bureaucracy-bound Europe and a third-world grown tired of US and Russian intervention/involvement. The Chinese will, no doubt, be no different, but plus ça change, plus ça reste la meme chose.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users