BBO Discussion Forums: To dive or not or to dive - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To dive or not or to dive

Poll: To dive or not or to dive (29 member(s) have cast votes)

To dive or not

1. 5H (27 votes [93.10%])

Percentage of vote: 93.10%

2. pass (2 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

3. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-06, 03:59

IMPs, you're green vs red, club game.

ahydra

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-06, 04:57

Pass - the 5-level belongs to opps.

Bidding can go wrong in all sorts of ways:
- Maybe we were defeating 5.
- Maybe they are in the wrong game and have missed 3NT.
- Maybe they miss their slam.
- Maybe they play in the wrong slam.
- Maybe they bid on to a slam which isn't making.

They have guessed at the five level.

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-October-06, 05:25

View PostTramticket, on 2016-October-06, 04:57, said:

imo you have missed the far more likely option of

- Maybe pass leads to a double game swing
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

imo you have missed the far more likely option of

- Maybe pass leads to a double game swing

the bolded one also seems exceedingly unlikely
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Maybe, but maybe 5 is a great save especially at these colors.

They are definitely not in their wrong game. 5 bidder has way too many diamonds that I would not be surprised if pd is void in diamonds.

Maybe but LHO did not pass yet. Maybe he is about to cue 5 if we pass and if we bid they may actually have hard time to bid grand.

Nope. Why you keep saying they may be in wrong suit when one of them opened 1 and other one jumped to 5 level vulnerable escapes me.

What does what we do have anything to do with them bidding a slam that does not make?

Nope. They were not forced to guess anything at 5 level. They voluntarily bid it. There is a huge difference between these two terms.

Overall only thing that concerns me about bidding 5 is, it may actually trigger them whoever has shortness in can figure his pd does not have wasted values. But then again, 6 save may be better than 5 as well. Or maybe they are about to bid grand and pd will be in much better shape to decide to save or not knowing we have a big fit.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-06, 06:59

I bid 5. Eagles and Ace gave good enough reasons. For another, consider that responder made his flying leap as a passed hand. Obviously the 1 opening improved his hand considerably. This suggests a distributional deal where games may make on fewer high cards. It also increases that chance that partner has good values, which sit behind opener.

I have been quoting SJ Simon a lot lately. When in doubt, bid one more.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-06, 07:15

I'm having a hard time coming up with a passed hand 5 bid on this vul instead of a cue bid that makes sense.

Unless of course a double game swing is possible with some kind of weak freak in north (6-5?).

If it's just a bad bid I don't like their chances of south working it out either after I bid 5 which should be relatively cheap imp insurance. Worst case, -300 when 5 diamonds goes down, a very narrow target.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-06, 08:02

If you don't bid 5 in this position and at these colors with this hand, when would you ever bid it?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-06, 08:20

View PostPhil, on 2016-October-06, 08:02, said:

If you don't bid 5 in this position and at these colors with this hand, when would you ever bid it?
I bid 5H and don't think it's close.

One thing is for sure, if I think for a couple of seconds, I almost have to bid 5H because if partner has a good hand, any bid or double by him is going to get rolled back to the worst of the possible results we could get.

#10 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-06, 08:59

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-October-06, 08:20, said:

I bid 5H and don't think it's close.

One thing is for sure, if I think for a couple of seconds, I almost have to bid 5H because if partner has a good hand, any bid or double by him is going to get rolled back to the worst of the possible results we could get.

Regardless of whether North uses the STOP card before the 5 bid, you are required to pause & think for 10 seconds before making your bid.

#11 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-06, 12:14

View Postshyams, on 2016-October-06, 08:59, said:

Regardless of whether North uses the STOP card before the 5 bid, you are required to pause & think for 10 seconds before making your bid.
I've been annoying players in the Laws forums for days now and am really trying to resist doing the same here, but I can hardly fail to mention that this seems like one more way that the average player can be gypped by the bridge lawyers. For you can't tell me that if I take my mandatory 10 seconds and then pass and partner doubles, that the director isn't going to be at my table really soon with some bad news for me.

This might be a good time to mention that in a recent ACBL bulletin, there was a letter to the editor requesting to dump the STOP card because it was being used far more often to make partner aware you are showing strength than for its intended purpose.

#12 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-October-06, 12:25

View Postshyams, on 2016-October-06, 08:59, said:

As I understand this is true in the UK, but is it also true here in the USA when no STOP card was used.

I agree with Kaitlyn and would like to see all STOP cards melted down and recycled into something more useful.

.. neilkaz ..

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-06, 12:55

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-October-06, 12:14, said:

This might be a good time to mention that in a recent ACBL bulletin, there was a letter to the editor requesting to dump the STOP card because it was being used far more often to make partner aware you are showing strength than for its intended purpose.

Amen to that but I still favor education on your tempo obligations and dumping the stop card.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-06, 13:22

People *will* not follow the rules, and *will* complain when it bites them, and *will* say it's the STOP card's fault, not their failing to "call without undue hesitation or haste [given the RA-mandated] mandatory pause[] after skip-bid warning..."

Board 40 or so of the Round 1 Spingold Match, and Your Humble Narrator is doing his best to hold the loss to under 100 (note: objective failed). Auction wound its way to [skip]3NT, and Multiple National Champion puts down dummy. During the play he looks more and more perplexed. Finally, at the end (making 4) he asks "What were you thinking about?"
Declarer (also a multiple National Champion): "10 seconds."
MNC: "I mean, you could bid 4, but that would go for its life. What were you thinking about?"
Declarer: "10 seconds, Richie, like he's supposed to." (turning to me) "You do know you're the only person in the room that would do that, right?"
YHN: "Well, most of the time, I'm one of the people wandering around, but your government won't let me work in the States."

The problem with the Stop card is mostly that they *will* only pull it out for preempts (like 1-4), but not 1NT-3NT... (the REAL problem is that there are people who think 1-p-2 is weak, but 1-p-STOP 2 is strong. That needs to be stamped out, I agree).

On-topic: The only concern with 5 is that -620 might be our best score. I have been known to be the Last Best Bridge Pessimist, of course.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-06, 14:09

Take it as a compliment.

In the Silador final this year we had an auction 1D (x) pass against Meckwell. The pass was alerted and Jeff asked and I said "well we play xx as hearts so he could have a good hand". They quickly bid to 3N and I made a rare good lead and we were quickly -600.

Eric said, "good for you for alerting. Most people don't in that situation".
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#16 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-06, 14:25

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-October-06, 12:14, said:

I've been annoying players in the Laws forums for days now and am really trying to resist doing the same here, but I can hardly fail to mention that this seems like one more way that the average player can be gypped by the bridge lawyers. For you can't tell me that if I take my mandatory 10 seconds and then pass and partner doubles, that the director isn't going to be at my table really soon with some bad news for me.

While I don't always use the STOP card diligently (e.g. 1N - Stayman; 2any - 3NT), I would most certainly use it when I am skipping the bidding by so many levels. I mean, the person plans to jump to 5 and not be bothered to fish out a STOP card? Wow!

#17 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-06, 15:20

View Postshyams, on 2016-October-06, 14:25, said:

While I don't always use the STOP card diligently (e.g. 1N - Stayman; 2any - 3NT), I would most certainly use it when I am skipping the bidding by so many levels. I mean, the person plans to jump to 5 and not be bothered to fish out a STOP card? Wow!
Ah, you're misunderstanding me. It's the player that bids 5D and doesn't use the STOP card that is going to be the lawyer and try to roll back the opponent's good guess if the player over 5D takes the mandatory 10 seconds and passes and the overcaller doesn't pass.

#18 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-06, 18:56

View Postahydra, on 2016-October-06, 03:59, said:

Agree with eagles123 and Mr Ace. I rank

1. 5 = NAT. A danger is that partner takes you seriously and bids a slam. At this vulnerability, however, even 7X-3 is a save against 5=.

2. Pass = NAT. Partner might re-open with a "card-showing" double. In which case, you can bid 5, without exciting him too much.

#19 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-07, 02:08

Whoever claimed the 5 level belongs to the opps is right, and at this time I am the opp. My RHO has lept to 5D because he expects it to have play. A short study of our moose has convinced me he may even be correct.

#20 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-07, 06:09

Thanks all. Do I win a prize for having a 14-0 unanimous poll? :)

Here's the full hand - given the NS hands you might wonder if I posted the correct hand, but I assure you I've got it right:

I did pick 5H, loving the look of the vulnerability and noting my hand had exactly no defence to 5D (and also thinking North must hold a lot more shape than he did). This went for 500 after a misdefence and so we thought we'd picked up a good board, only to find team-mates had gone down in 3NT rather than find the cold slam. Ah well.

Do the 5H bidders also make the same choice at matchpoints?

ahydra

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users