BBO Discussion Forums: ATB -500 against nothing - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB -500 against nothing

Poll: ATB -500 against nothing (39 member(s) have cast votes)

ATB

1. More East (19 votes [48.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.72%

2. More West (10 votes [25.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.64%

3. Roughly equal blame (2 votes [5.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

4. No blame (8 votes [20.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-06, 16:10

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-October-06, 12:09, said:

If partner guarantees a real overcall like AQJxx, xx, xx, Kxxx 3 is fine, but if he can overcall on the sort of tat he has, then you can't afford to bid it.

1 is perfectly normal overcall.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-06, 16:17

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-06, 16:10, said:

All I'm saying is that IF that's a normal overcall for you, then you don't want to bid 3 on the other hand particularly at this vul, it isn't for me but I'm aware I require more than most people.

#23 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-07, 05:20

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-06, 16:10, said:

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-October-06, 16:17, said:

All I'm saying is that IF that's a normal overcall for you, then you don't want to bid 3 on the other hand particularly at this vul, it isn't for me but I'm aware I require more than most people.

I do not require more, I require different.
West hand is a model hand how an overcall should not look like, not at any colors, but crazy when red against white.
The overcall takes up no space.
You have the worst possible holding in opponents suit.
In other words the hand has a very low ODR ratio full of quacks
It's not even clear you want spade led.
Jump raises as mixed are fine, but not opposite such overcalls.
I am not surprised nothing is on for opponents.
It's not bad luck it's simply bad Bridge

View Postmiamijd, on 2016-October-06, 12:35, said:

Sometimes you just have bad luck.

There's nothing wrong with the 1S overcall.
No, you just got fixed by a poor South player (or else a gambler). South doesn't have a 1H opener in anyone's book. North's X of 3S isn't a penalty double; it's cards. There is no way South ought to pass with a stiff spade; he needs to bid 4C.
So South made two awful bids that worked out for him. Good for him; I'll take my chances against his type any day.

Cheers,
mike

Some people should just take lessons in basic hand evaluation before posting here.
I am not saying I am endorsing all actions taken by South, which were no doubt aggressive and influenced by the favorable vulnerability.
But just compare the South hand with the West hand.
KNR values the South hand more than 4 points higher than the West hand.
If you can not see the difference, don't post.

Rainer Herrmann

#24 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-07, 06:22

View Postrhm, on 2016-October-07, 05:20, said:

If you can not see the difference, don't post.

Your whole post was interesting and informative, and then you throw in this snide personal slap at the end for no reason.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#25 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-07, 06:47

View Postrhm, on 2016-October-07, 05:20, said:

I do not require more, I require different.
West hand is a model hand how an overcall should not look like, not at any colors, but crazy when red against white.
The overcall takes up no space.
You have the worst possible holding in opponents suit.
In other words the hand has a very low ODR ratio full of quacks
It's not even clear you want spade led.
Jump raises as mixed are fine, but not opposite such overcalls.
I am not surprised nothing is on for opponents.
It's not bad luck it's simply bad Bridge

You spell out exactly what I've been trying to say in my posts.

#26 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-07, 08:22

That was my point also.If the understanding is they can overcall in vulnerable condition with West's hand then East's was an overbid otherwise West's call was totally gross.

#27 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-07, 09:48

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-October-06, 12:09, said:

If partner guarantees a real overcall like AQJxx, xx, xx, Kxxx 3 is fine, but if he can overcall on the sort of tat he has, then you can't afford to bid it.
I had originally voted for "no blame" but the other posters have convinced me that at these colors where the opponents are just itching to double, that you should not be in 3S on these cards, and who is to blame depends on the pair's agreed overcalling style.

In this auction, East can raise to 2S, and while the Law of Total Tricks indicates competing to 3S, the auction will warn you that bidding 3S is unwise.

So my vote for "equal blame" should really be "other"; I can't assign blame without knowing the pair's overcalling style.

#28 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-07, 10:29

View Postalok c, on 2016-October-07, 08:22, said:

That was my point also.If the understanding is they can overcall in vulnerable condition with West's hand then East's was an overbid otherwise West's call was totally gross.

My point is that this is not a matter of partnership understanding or agreements.
Do not understand me wrong.
I do not argue that overcalls at the one level have to be strong.
But if you have agreements that overcalls can look like this, in particular when red, you are playing losing Bridge.

Rainer Herrmann

#29 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-October-07, 10:47

I voted that West is more to blame.

Although I agree with most of what Rainer said, I think the Q (bad total trick-wise) is largely weighed up for by the QJ (good total trick-wise). What noone has mentioned yet --- maybe because they have a different experience with LoTT than I do --- is that that the 5T(332) shape, like 4T(333) shape but unlike 4T(432) shape, is worth roughly -1 total tricks. So when basic LoTT actually gives the correct answer on this deal, it may have something to do with the fact that NS has a double fit, which is a standard +1 total trick adjustment.

#30 User is offline   MatthiasK 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-October-07, 12:12

I agree with the people who think overcalling with the west hand is not a very good idea and very risky. And I would like to add, if overcalling with such hands r vs. w is considered "normal" today, I prefer not being normal in this respect.

#31 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-07, 12:22

Maybe it's the IMPs player in me, but it seems to me as if passing the west hand can be just as dangerous. Is East supposed to find a double with KTx xx AQxx Jxxx after it goes 1H-P-2H? That strikes me as being extremely dangerous (catch West with a bad hand and now you are seeing a redouble followed by routine penalty doubles), but someone has to do something to get to 2S when the opponents are making 2H.
Wayne Somerville

#32 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-07, 18:20

I would guess that Rainer would be intending to protect on that auction.

Still, I need more than sweeping assertions and cast aspersions to feel strongly either way. A bigger risk feels to me like 1 1N / 2, where you surely have to pass again as W, and there might be a double part score swing (or, at MPs, missing the chance to go for 100 rather than letting them get 110). Also if I don't bid 1, P will be actively deterred from leading the suit vs a NT contract.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#33 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-08, 01:42

View PostJinksy, on 2016-October-07, 18:20, said:

I would guess that Rainer would be intending to protect on that auction.

Yes, but I would not feel comfortable when vulnerable and I am not sure balancing with 2 if a raise to 2 is passed round to you is a long term winning decision here.

Still, I need more than sweeping assertions and cast aspersions to feel strongly either way. A bigger risk feels to me like 1 1N / 2, where you surely have to pass again as W, and there might be a double part score swing (or, at MPs, missing the chance to go for 100 rather than letting them get 110). Also if I don't bid 1, P will be actively deterred from leading the suit vs a NT contract.

Part-score swings can not always be avoided. The risk is just too high. That is one reason why light openings became popular. The opening side has a big advantage here.
Note, in this example you had a a good nine card fit, there was no trump stack, no trump promotion and yet you payed out and at least I believe this was not a case of bad luck.
It is not difficult to see if there were no spade fit, you might have been caught even in 1 for a substantial penalty. Give LHO a singleton heart and 4 or more reasonable spades and playing for penalties becomes quite attractive at these colors. Good players grasp such opportunities.

In this case even though you have the boss suit, it needs an unlikely layout of the remaining cards for you to win the part-score battle.
Why start a fight you can not win and where you are in great danger of paying out too much?

Rainer Herrmann

#34 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-October-08, 16:14

3 is misguided at this vulnerability. East has 9 losers, no shortness and 7 cards in their 2 suits. They haven't found a fit yet. No indicator other than we own 9 trumps says bid to the 3 level. Since we do not know how many total trumps there are when they haven't found a(n implied) fit, the 2 level is plenty.

For those not liking a 1 overcall, you will be missing too many opportunities if you always pass here.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#35 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-October-08, 18:09

View PostArtK78, on 2016-October-05, 12:10, said:

Bad luck for EW. Perfectly normal.

I play the 3 bid by E as a mixed raise - not a preemptive raise. And the E hand is a mixed raise. So I would bid 3. If that gets doubled for 500 opposite nothing, that is very unlucky.

That East hand is only a bare minimum mixed raise if West opened. West overcalled. 7+??? Occasionally it's right to allow opponents to play a hand.

#36 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-October-08, 18:17

View PostSteveMoe, on 2016-October-08, 16:14, said:

They haven't found a fit yet. No indicator other than we own 9 trumps says bid to the 3 level. Since we do not know how many total trumps there are when they haven't found a(n implied) fit, the 2 level is plenty.

East knows that their side has 9+ spades, so opps must have 22+ cards between them in the three remaining suits, which means they have an 8c+ fit somewhere. So East can infer there are 17+ total trumps.

#37 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-October-08, 18:36

View Postnullve, on 2016-October-08, 18:17, said:

East knows that their side has 9+ spades, so opps must have 22+ cards between them in the three remaining suits, which means they have an 8c+ fit somewhere. So East can infer there are 17+ total trumps.

Yes, we can assume 17. At these colors the cost of a doubled contract does not look good.
We can also assume South is short in and North short in .
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#38 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-08, 20:28

More West. While East's mixed raise at these colors is dubious, the overcall on West's quacky piece junk is bad. Qxx in the West hand s a net negative value for this call: absolutely worthless on offense, may well be the defensive trick that sets 4 or 3NT--and this is still a lively possibility even if South's hand were a bit better.

#39 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-08, 23:39

great hand to discuss, thank you for bringing it up

given the conditions of contest should west bid 1 spade....should east bid 3s.

As a nonexpertI would pass west but I look forward to what the truly great players say and why?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users