What's " no "?

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-04, 14:40

View Postlycier, on 2016-October-04, 04:17, said:

4 says " Cue bid --- 1-2,1+,solid 6-card ,no A,no A,AKQ,no ,A,19+TPs,forcing."
What's " no "?

Also got to the "love" the 3NT`s HCP range 11-17. That is a thing of GIB ugliness in definition. It chooses to continue to slam with its bare 17 HCP- any human would be misled into thinking its stronger than the "normal" soloway bid.

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-04, 23:45

I wouldn't worry about the 'no ', since everything else was accurate. Remember, sometimes GIB's definition will contradict itself, but with so much of it, I would trust the rest. I'm worried more that it didn't try to squeeze East in and . If only the East and West hands were switched, then the bad contract comes home.

Cloa, Soloway Jump Shifts are different than Strong Jump Shifts. In fact, I would agree with GIB here that its hand IS worth a King more than a minimum, but that it should have given up over 3NT. Here is Karen Walker's page about it.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-05, 10:38

View Postchasetb, on 2016-October-04, 23:45, said:

Cloa, Soloway Jump Shifts are different than Strong Jump Shifts. In fact, I would agree with GIB here that its hand IS worth a King more than a minimum, but that it should have given up over 3NT. Here is Karen Walker's page about it.

In Soloway Jump Shifts, the rebid shows a self sufficient suit. South should made a move to slam with a control heavy hand. 3NT should show a minimum soft hand with more than an average number of queens and jacks, but in GIB talk, a minimum is a minimum based on point count only. As it was, 6NT is laydown here, and South could sign off with the wrong type of hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users