• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-03, 16:31

All red you deal and open 1D with this very nice collection

Jx
KQx
AKQTxx
QT

LHO bids 3C and while the tray is on the otehr side of the screen, you wonder whether you'll be bold enough to balance with 3NT faking a Qxx stopper and hoping for some quick tricks in front of you (actually, both NS and EW can make 3NT on this deal...provided they are on lead).

But partner Xed for a major-oriented take out... what now? 3NT seemed further away now so I tried 4H hoping she was 45, and I quickly lost 5 tricks after she tabled a (subminimal? well if you read my previous post you know she had eaten lion for breakfast) hand with an onside SK and only 4H with a 42 break...

KTxxx
Axxx
xx
xx

Do you agree with her X? What should I do after that?

And if she had passed, what could be my call (the other room quietly balanced with 3D for 110)?

Thanks again!

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-03, 18:00

Double is crazy. I would cuebid and give up if partner passed 5.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 18:08

Preempts are meant to get you. In theory your partner showed 10+ so 4H seems like a good shot to me. Looks like too many losers for 5D and 3NT opposite majors is just silly.

I think partner overbid a bit but I don't think her bid was terrible. You wouldn't be asking about her bid at all if you had held Axxx, Kx, AJxxx, xx, on which you would have defended 3C if she passes. It's no picnic for her if she passes either. Suppose she passes and you reopen with a double (on a different hand.) Is she supposed to bid 3S or 4S now? I think it's a tossup and on the hands that she makes 4S, you might not bid it over 3S since she could have far less.

If it went 1D (3C) P (P) to me I would just bid 3D. Since you probably wouldn't bid 3D on a minimum with six diamonds, I think you've almost shown your hand.

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-October-03, 18:43

Partner's double was a huge overbid. A simple pass seems right to me.

Then opener follows with a 3 rebid.

#5 User is offline   pstansbu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-28, 07:55

Do you play 5 card Majors and strong NT, and what was the strength of the overcall?

Playing 4 card Majors I think this is a clear pass as I think that increases the odds of you holding a hand like you did (particularly if you agree to bid the Major over the minor when looking to rebid a strong NT hand) . With 5 card Majors there is a better chance of a lurking 4 card Major in your hand. If the jump overcall weak this increases the problem for partner and exactly the scenario the overcaller would hope to create!

I would pass regardless but not without sweating over missed opportunities. In your position I agree with your bid after the double and likewise would balance in s if partner passed.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 08:47

Pd's double is aggressive.

I would bid what I have over the double and that is 4. My hand is no longer 17 hcp in a suit contract. It is more like 15 and many soft values. Only thing I have good is my diamonds and I will mention this to pd.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-October-28, 19:08

+1 for Kaitlyn S.

Q10 is virtually worthless in front of preemptor. You've lots of and LHO has lots of . So, RHO is big favorite to have majors with partner. Playing a potential 4-3 fit under these circumstance seems a bit over-hopeful. Bid what you have, 3 . If partner finds another call, you might reconsider what to do.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users