• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

the faintest of hopes

#21 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-07, 23:11

Not saying I'd do it and it's definitely a huge play but it's possible to play for this layout. If LHO has 7 hearts they are presumably 4702 or 2722 (with 7321 they would lead their stiff most likely). If RHO has the AK of diamonds for their X LHO should have the SK for their bid. LHO having Kxx of spades means they have 6 hearts, 2H with Kxx QT8xxx xx Qx is pretty far out their r/w. But as you said, you make on 1/3rd of the Kx's this way anyway, and with an opp bad enough to lead a heart after the X it's tough to rely on their bidding too much. Playing them for Kxx of spades is definitely better than Txx of spades though... Txx requires a 2H bid on Txx QT8xxx xx Qx.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#22 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-12, 13:24

I'm no expert, but even double-dummy, I can see that the simple spade finesse isn't enough, you only have two diamond discards. So you need to squeeze East in spades and diamonds. Needs very careful play! Say that after the last trump, East keeps 4 spades and 1 diamond. Take the spade finesse, cash A, then throw E in with a diamond.

But to do that, you have to have kept a diamond in dummy.

If East keeps 3 spades and 2 diamonds, take the spade finesse and cash your remaining spades. Since you have already sacrificed one of them, you will still lose that diamond.

#23 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-12, 18:22

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-October-12, 13:24, said:

I'm no expert, but even double-dummy, I can see that the simple spade finesse isn't enough, you only have two diamond discards. So you need to squeeze East in spades and diamonds. Needs very careful play! Say that after the last trump, East keeps 4 spades and 1 diamond. Take the spade finesse, cash A, then throw E in with a diamond.

But to do that, you have to have kept a diamond in dummy.

If East keeps 3 spades and 2 diamonds, take the spade finesse and cash your remaining spades. Since you have already sacrificed one of them, you will still lose that diamond.

Yes, that's how you make it if you decide West has Kx.

As I said, I played for Kxx where an immediate finesse is necessary (run the trumps and West can just hold onto all 3 spades) and I could use the 5 as an entry to cash 2 more spades since they would be set up if it was Kxx-xxxx. You could also play for West to be void in diamonds, which requires a different play again.
Wayne Somerville

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users