• You cannot reply to this topic

the faintest of hopes

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-03, 05:50

Butler IMPs scoring

Yes, this is a terrible slam to put it lightly. Luckily you avoid the diamond lead and get the 6 lead. Plan the play. If you draw trumps, you find LHO started with Qx.
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 06:14

What signal does E give on the first trick and the second club? If I draw trumps and lead the S8, what happens?

Essentially this looks like deciding which opponent has Kxx (can also pick up Kxxx, not including the ten, with East). You can use the C5 to get back to table. But it's not clear at first glance who has the K - East might be doubling on AK and West looks a bit thin on the ground for an unfavourable overcall (even a pre-empt), though I suppose he may have seven hearts. If I can't figure anything out from the carding I'd take the ruffing finesse.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 06:17

View Postahydra, on 2016-October-03, 06:14, said:

What signal does E give on the first trick and the second club? If I draw trumps and lead the S8, what happens?

Essentially this looks like deciding which opponent has Kxx (can also pick up Kxxx, not including the ten, with East). You can use the C5 to get back to table. But it's not clear at first glance who has the K - East might be doubling on AK and West looks a bit thin on the ground for an unfavourable overcall (even a pre-empt), though I suppose he may have seven hearts. If I can't figure anything out from the carding I'd take the ruffing finesse.

ahydra

RHO plays high on the first trick (showing diamonds), and then a middle heart. When you play a spade, you get the 3 from LHO, and if you pop the ace*, the 2 from RHO. They play reverse count if you want to rely on it.

*Don't necessarily take this as a hint that RHO has the king of spades.
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 06:52

LHO does not have QJ of or would lead Q. Has Qx .
He did not lead or , despite the double. So he has at most 7hcp and a rotten suit. I would play West for K.
When I decide W has the K I need to decide whether to play him for Kx or Kxx or Kxxx
West normally should not have side 4 card spade, but even if he did, that would make him hold stiff and probably would lead .

So

A-If I decide to play him for Kxx, I need W to hold Kxx or KT so I play to J, then A and then small to ruff.

B-If W has 7 hearts +2 cl and did not lead diamond makes him hold at most 2 and we can not make even if he has Tx by ruffing finesse. This allows us only 2 discards since East will be holding 5 spades
W has to hold Kx if he has 7 hearts so we can squeeze East. This also works when W has 6 h and Kx .

If we decide W to hold Kx and East to hold AK, I think we can cash all clubs before we touch spades. Last 5 cards holding AQJ9 and J in dummy. East can not hold. He has to hold 4 spades + 1/ Then we play spade to J, Cash A and drop the K and play diamond and endplay East.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-03, 08:45

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-03, 06:52, said:

LHO does not have QJ of or would lead Q. Has Qx .
He did not lead or , despite the double. So he has at most 7hcp and a rotten suit. I would play West for K.
When I decide W has the K I need to decide whether to play him for Kx or Kxx or Kxxx
West normally should not have side 4 card spade, but even if he did, that would make him hold stiff and probably would lead .

So

A-If I decide to play him for Kxx, I need W to hold Kxx or KT so I play to J, then A and then small to ruff.

B-If W has 7 hearts +2 cl and did not lead diamond makes him hold at most 2 and we can not make even if he has Tx by ruffing finesse. This allows us only 2 discards since East will be holding 5 spades
W has to hold Kx if he has 7 hearts so we can squeeze East. This also works when W has 6 h and Kx .

If we decide W to hold Kx and East to hold AK, I think we can cash all clubs before we touch spades. Last 5 cards holding AQJ9 and J in dummy. East can not hold. He has to hold 4 spades + 1/ Then we play spade to J, Cash A and drop the K and play diamond and endplay East.

Another possibility is West may be void in as he did'nt lead it & his vulnerable overcall with poor suit & points.His hand may be Kxxx -Qxxxxxx-nil-Qx, East may be 10xx-Jxxx-AKxxx-x.In that case to Q then A, J etc discarding from hand.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-03, 09:36

View Postalok c, on 2016-October-03, 08:45, said:

Another possibility is West may be void in as he did'nt lead it & his vulnerable overcall with poor suit & points.His hand may be Kxxx -Qxxxxxx-nil-Qx, East may be 10xx-Jxxx-AKxxx-x.In that case to Q then A, J etc discarding from hand.

Yes, everyone knows how to play spades if W has K 4th. And yes he can have this hand, we all seen people with awful bids and this guy is perhaps one of them, but is it likely? No imo.
Another important thing against playing W for K 4th is, it does not work if he has the T too.

From my experience in forums, I am guessing Manudude03 asked this as a problem because W had Kx which leads to a fancy squeeze and endplay. At the table I would play W for Kxx . But if this problem made its way to forums, I would play for Kx on, squeeze and endplay East. Posted Image
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-03, 10:16

Agree with Mr Ace.
Last Wednesday, in a Western District league match.
we played a deal like this, with a similar theme.
NS bid accurately to 6 missed at the other tables :)
LHO led a T won by dummy's K.
Declarer ruffed a . Crossed to Q, Discarded a on A,
Ruffed a 2nd . Crossed to Q.
Ruffed dummy's last . Crossed to A and played dummy's remaining trumps to squeeze RHO in the monors. If LHO discarded a top , then declarer could discard a , and concede a .

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-03, 10:46

Against competent opponents I would play West for 4702 because the double and non diamond lead make little sense otherwise. And preempting red/white with Q7th makes will contain some extreme shape.

But it seems like a tossup to play West for Kxxx versus KTxx, and unless im missing something we need to play the first round of the suit differently.

At the table I'd probably play low to the Q on the off chance that LHO is deaf to the double.

No way LHO has Kx of spades.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 14:21

deleted

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 15:20

I need to know opponents but in general I don't trust the double unless I know they are really good, for me it is a matter of finding LHO with Kxx or 10xx. Given that he could have both, Kxx is more likely so that's what I would try.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-03, 17:31

View PostPhil, on 2016-October-03, 10:46, said:

Against competent rookie opponents I would play West for 4702 because the double and non diamond lead make little sense otherwise. And preempting red/white with Q7th makes will contain some extreme shape.

No way LHO has Kx of spades.

FYP

#12 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-October-03, 17:56

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-03, 17:31, said:

FYP

? RHO x'd a slam apparently without a void so he has AK. LHO didn't lead a diamond.

I have a pretty good sense of the shapes here.
Hi y'all!

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-03, 18:09

View PostPhil, on 2016-October-03, 17:56, said:

? RHO x'd a slam apparently without a void so he has AK. LHO didn't lead a diamond.

I have a pretty good sense of the shapes here.

You are really surprising me for 2 reasons.

1-For imagining a competent player to bid 2 with 4702. A hand that would make easy 4 against 5-6 spades and out. Vulnerable! Who does that?
2-Even if he did, for imagining that he would lead a from Kxxx Qxxxxxx Void Q7 AFTER pd bid 4 and doubled 6.

Quite an imagination IMO.

#14 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-October-03, 21:28

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-03, 18:09, said:

Quite an imagination IMO.

So come up with a layout that needs 'less' imagination.
Hi y'all!

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-03, 22:42

View PostPhil, on 2016-October-03, 21:28, said:

So come up with a layout that needs 'less' imagination.

Kxx
QT98xx
Kx
Qx

This is much less imaginative both bidding wise and lead wise. Not saying every competent player will bid 2 with this. But at least, even if they did, lead would be choice of some of them.
4702 and leading at the same time...is not imo.

I've made a poll in BW both for bidding and lead 2 different posts. I have yet to see anyone to lead in 4702 hand and yet to see a competent player to bid 2. I do not believe you would bid 2 in this lifetime with 4702 either. Would you? Would it even occur to you? It is imps.

#16 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 23:31

Delete

#17 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 23:40

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-03, 22:42, said:

Kxx
QT98xx
Kx
Qx

This is much less imaginative both bidding wise and lead wise. Not saying every competent player will bid 2 with this. But at least, even if they did, lead would be choice of some of them.

I've made a poll in BW both for bidding and lead 2 different posts. I have yet to see anyone to lead in 4702 hand and yet to see a competent player to bid 2. I do not believe you would bid 2 in this lifetime with 4702 either. Would you? Would it even occur to you? It is imps.

In the cited hand East was doubling with a single A opposite a preemptive hand?North's 6c bid pretty much guarantees 1st round H control & seeing his own hand East knows finesse will be successful in S if required at all .

#18 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-October-04, 08:29

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-03, 22:42, said:

Kxx
QT98xx
Kx
Qx

So East doubled 6 on xxxx Jxxxx Axx x. Ya, right. Maybe that's the hand you should post and see how many doubles you get.

Yes I saw the BW poll. I wouldn't bid 2 myself with a ratty 4702, sure, but yes, it did occur to me. And it was the choice of Jim Munday, John Adams, Phil Martin and Ben Christensen (on USA1 juniors). So its not an overbid to say, "no one competent bid 2", its plain wrong. The only name player to bid 1 btw is JDonn, but his vote has always carried a lot of weight with me, so its rather close as of this morning.
Hi y'all!

#19 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-07, 12:40

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-03, 09:36, said:

From my experience in forums, I am guessing Manudude03 asked this as a problem because W had Kx which leads to a fancy squeeze and endplay. At the table I would play W for Kxx . But if this problem made its way to forums, I would play for Kx on, squeeze and endplay East. Posted Image

I guess I'm too predictable :). Maybe it's because I generally don't find "find the queen" problems to be particularly interesting most of the time. At the table, I also played for West to have Kxx (noting that KT and K7 also work) and went down when West has Kx. I seem to have misplaced the hand record, but the layout was something like:

The opps had a bit of a misunderstanding and West didn't think the double was lead directing. I figured after the event that perhaps Kx was the most likely layout (West being 2632 or 2722) that allows a make, but it also struck me as being very risky at the same time.
Wayne Somerville

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-07, 20:44

I knew it!! Posted Image

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users