• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-03, 03:42

Kxx
10x
Ak
Kqxxxx

All the Xes are very small.

Love all at imps

You open 1nt, 2d (one major), pass, 2h (pass/correct), bid again?

This doesn't seem very interesting to me but a reasonably experienced player felt quite strongly about it.

#2 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-October-03, 04:02

#3 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 04:14

Yes 3. I will sometimes go for a number but good things happen when you bid. For example when East holds a spade invite he can't show this on his first turn (unlike if he holds hearts). Our bidding now might mean that they will miss their spade fit with LHO holding spades and RHO with a spade invite.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 06:16

I'm not sure I would have opened 1NT, but agree with 3C now.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 06:33

3c for all the reason mentioned above PLUS if clubs break poorly they are to your RIGHT which makes a penalty x much more difficult for the opps. Risk vs reward.

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 07:56

The small k in the OP really looked like an x to me, it took a while to figure out what was going on Posted Image
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 09:38

View Postnullve, on 2016-October-03, 04:02, said:

+1

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 09:59

I see I am minority. I would pass.

Yes 3 might prevent them to show spades or an invitation. But who said showing spades is necessarily gonna end up good for them?

Who said it is bad for us if they invite and find a non making game or go down at 3 level?
Who said 3 will not help them to reevaluate their shortness?
Who said we are safer in 3 compared to -110 or -140 or -170?
Who said pd is not waiting to dbl them at 2 level? (If DBL of 2 by pd is diamonds)
Who said showing our 6 card suit will not help them when they declare?

I am not saying 3 is an awful bid and I can see myself bidding it depending on state of match maybe, but I do not think 3 is such a clear cut choice. Outcome of our decision will have too many factors involved that I have little or no control over. Which makes me want to go passive. After all if they are making only 2M and we are making 3, I may bail 6 imps, but if I bid and things go south, I may bail much more. Doubling a NT opener who later bids 3 is easier than other cases, since they know you have a balanced or semi balanced hand most of the time.

Or maybe I am just getting old. Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-03, 11:05

I'd pass too. Partner does not have 5 of a major and doesn't have six diamonds.

If LHO has hearts, partner will probably compete with 5-6 points unless he has four hearts. If LHO has spades we are probably happy we didn't bid.

It seems like there is too much downside to bidding. The offshape NT (my choice but not everyones) may have talked them out of a game.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 11:08

I consider it VERY unlikely they can double 3 and much more likely to defend 3 of a major instead of 2 or 4, either of which may be just in.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-October-03, 12:35

View PostPhil, on 2016-October-03, 11:05, said:

If LHO has hearts, partner will probably compete with 5-6 points unless he has four hearts.

How? Will your partner sometimes double for takeout with 3 H?

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-03, 14:13

View Postnullve, on 2016-October-03, 12:35, said:

How? Will your partner sometimes double for takeout with 3 H?

If he thinks it's a 20-20 deck, quite possibly.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-04, 07:47

Well i bid. I wouldn't expect p to compete with 3 hearts as he'd be expecting them to be in a 6-1 fit.

Partner had asked about the 2D bid then passed in a normal tempo. It transpires he has a 0355 13 count and raised 3c to 5. 6c by his hand is cold. 6c by my hand needed a non heart lead or the ace onside (it is). 3nt makes lots of overtricks. So we clearly had a negative position on the board.

Anyway lho wasn't impressed. He Called the director on me and was later heard complaining in the bar about perfidious professionals who care more about money than the beauty of the game.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-04, 16:46

View Postwank, on 2016-October-04, 07:47, said:

Well i bid. I wouldn't expect p to compete with 3 hearts as he'd be expecting them to be in a 6-1 fit.

Partner had asked about the 2D bid then passed in a normal tempo. It transpires he has a 0355 13 count and raised 3c to 5. 6c by his hand is cold. 6c by my hand needed a non heart lead or the ace onside (it is). 3nt makes lots of overtricks. So we clearly had a negative position on the board.

Anyway lho wasn't impressed. He Called the director on me and was later heard complaining in the bar about perfidious professionals who care more about money than the beauty of the game.

What was the reason for calling TD if your pd passed in normal tempo? Did they claim he hesitated?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#15 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-04, 17:39

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-04, 16:46, said:

What was the reason for calling TD if your pd passed in normal tempo? Did they claim he hesitated?
I'm guessing it was because he asked about the 2D bid, implying that he had something.

#16 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-04, 17:43

If you've been reading my rants in the Laws forum, you'll know that I have sympathy for you here.

BTW, from reading your other recent posts, I have very little doubt that you would have bid 3C anyway. Being passive isn't your style.

#17 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-04, 19:03

Where was he expecting the auction to wind up had you passed? Your side is clearly getting to game so it's hard to see any damage even if you did have UI (which it doesn't sound like you do).

#18 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-04, 20:16

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-04, 16:46, said:

he didn't hestitate and the opps didn't claim one. however, in england the official guidance is not to ask unless you're interested in bidding. this is obviously contentious.

#19 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-04, 23:36

View Postwank, on 2016-October-04, 20:16, said:

he didn't hestitate and the opps didn't claim one. however, in england the official guidance is not to ask unless you're interested in bidding. this is obviously contentious.
That seems like a kind way of putting it Posted Image

#20 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-October-05, 06:57

Just curious; how much money was resting on this?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users