BBO Discussion Forums: What's the best response to two-way checkback here? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the best response to two-way checkback here?

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-01, 14:35

I've only recently started playing 2-way checkback, so not sure if there's an 'expert standard' here. Should North show his 3 hearts first, effectively giving up on showing the fifth diamond, or bid 3, when chances are good P's only interested in one of the majors? Is the answer strongly based on the respective suit qualities, or mainly systemic?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-01, 15:03

Show 3 card M first.
He already made a GF 2 so over your 2 he can bid 2 NT if he needs to learn more about your hand. If he does not, do not leak more info than what pd needs.
Make sure to have agreements about bids over his 2 NT..
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-01, 15:37

2 is obvious. If partner is interested in other contracts he will slow it down with 2 or 2N then you can show your good diamonds.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-01, 16:00

it's just common sense - if you don't piss all your space away you'll have time to show both interesting parts of your hand.

#5 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-01, 16:05

But am I right in thinking that over 2N, opener would be expected to show most 4-card suits, unless his hand is particularly unsuitable for a minor contract?

#6 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-October-01, 16:05

1N is how many points and hearts?

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-October-01, 16:13

View PostJinksy, on 2016-October-01, 16:05, said:

But am I right in thinking that over 2N, opener would be expected to show most 4-card suits, unless his hand is particularly unsuitable for a minor contract?

This is what I was thinking.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-October-01, 16:15

View PostJinksy, on 2016-October-01, 16:05, said:

I see where you are going with this.

Because 1 doesn't really show clubs, its hard to unwind all of our fits.

You might consider a different structure other than 2 checkback.

In my T-walsh partnerships, 2 is weak or strong hearts, so if responder has a game force without 4, he bids something else (2 for us}. That makes it easier to take your eye off of trying to find a 5-3 heart fit that doesn't exist.
Hi y'all!

#9 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-01, 16:17

View Postnullve, on 2016-October-01, 16:05, said:

1N is how many points and hearts?

15-17, 2-3.

#10 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-October-01, 16:25

So think of your continuations after 1N as if partner opened a strong NT, and partner does not have four hearts.

If you start from that basis, building a response structure is a lot easier, and I would suggest you do not try to mirror a partnership that plays 'natural'.

Here's what we do:

2 - puppet to 2 for invitational hands
2 - transfer back to hearts, w/s
2 - 4-4 in the majors, GF
2 - transfer to clubs, however, after 1 - 1 (no major) - 1N - 2 is a range ask OR clubs.
2N - diamonds
3 and higher....you really don't need although we define them as shortness with 5 of the other minor and 4M (I think)
Hi y'all!

#11 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-02, 05:50

View PostJinksy, on 2016-October-01, 14:35, said:

I've only recently started playing 2-way checkback, so not sure if there's an 'expert standard' here. Should North show his 3 hearts first, effectively giving up on showing the fifth diamond, or bid 3, when chances are good P's only interested in one of the majors? Is the answer strongly based on the respective suit qualities, or mainly systemic?

Is the bidding you gave us correct ?

If so why did west open 1 with a 5 card d ? Why should west show his 3 card if east bid 1 ?

Should the bidding be : 1-1-1nt-2 ?

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-02, 05:59

Unless you go really artifical the most common treatment is to go up the line

So here you bid 2. obviously as it is cheapest, and then partner can bid something and you bid 3.

If you had something like

Qxx
AKxx
Kxxx
Jx

After

1-1 ()
1NT-2

You would bid 2 (up the line) before raising spades

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-October-02, 06:12

View PostVampyr, on 2016-October-01, 16:13, said:

This is what I was thinking.

LOL I was thinking this because I didn't read the notes! 1 was a transfer.

View Postaawk, on 2016-October-02, 05:50, said:

Is the bidding you gave us correct ?

If so why did west open 1 with a 5 card d ? Why should west show his 3 card if east bid 1 ?

Should the bidding be : 1-1-1nt-2 ?

You made the same mistake I did, not reading the notes. 1 was a transfer to hearts.

West probably opened 1 because he played a potentially short club with a 1 opening promising an unbalanced hand.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2016-October-02, 06:30

We show 3-card major suit support before a 5-card minor, so bid 2H here.
If responder bids 2NT next I will bid 3D showing 5
If responder is interested in a 4-4 minor suit fit for slam purposes he will bid 3C/3D rather than 2NT, so your 3m over 2NAT should show a 5-card suit. (If responder is interested in slam then right-siding considerations are pretty minor)

As others have posted, there are other approaches than 2-way checkback, transfers being the most obvious, but we find this approach works OK in the context of our 1NT rebid being 18-19 balanced.

#15 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-02, 11:19

View PostVampyr, on 2016-October-02, 06:12, said:

LOL I was thinking this because I didn't read the notes! 1 was a transfer.

You made the same mistake I did, not reading the notes. 1 was a transfer to hearts.

West probably opened 1 because he played a potentially short club with a 1 opening promising an unbalanced hand.

That explains a lot :).

It would be helpfull if all alerts would be explained better (why 1 with 5 card , range for 1).

West bid 1nt with a 3 card so after 2 being game forcing west must bid 2 first because any other bid would denie a 3 card (if not why play checkback). The 5 card can be introduced after east bid for example 2nt after 2 (stronger then direct 3nt) to ask partner if he got anything else to show.

#16 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-02, 14:00

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2016-October-02, 06:30, said:

We show 3-card major suit support before a 5-card minor, so bid 2H here.
If responder bids 2NT next I will bid 3D showing 5
If responder is interested in a 4-4 minor suit fit for slam purposes he will bid 3C/3D rather than 2NT, so your 3m over 2NAT should show a 5-card suit. (If responder is interested in slam then right-siding considerations are pretty minor)

As others have posted, there are other approaches than 2-way checkback, transfers being the most obvious, but we find this approach works OK in the context of our 1NT rebid being 18-19 balanced.

Is the idea that with eg 5-5 in the red suits, responder would bid a GF 3 over 1N?

#17 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-02, 14:21

View PostJinksy, on 2016-October-02, 14:00, said:

Is the idea that with eg 5-5 in the red suits, responder would bid a GF 3 over 1N?

With a concentrated 5-5 in the red suits, responder would bid a GF 3 over 1N so that opener can evaluate their hand for slam based on wastage in the blacks. But given the hand shown, responder can't really have a concentrated 5-5 in the reds, so life is much tougher.

(But I agree with 2, leaving partner room to further describe their hand.)

#18 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 05:50

FWIW. I bid 1 to show exactly 3 card support (unlimited) in my T-Walsh sequence but I play 4 card suits.
P can follow up with
1 4 4 weak (5-9)
1N weak
2 weak with diamonds or an invitational hand (xyz)
2 GF
2 weak with 5

#19 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-October-03, 18:28

In any checkback scheme, the decision to show support for responder's "major" or bid the other major first is a matter of partnership agreement. My experience is that most players, but not all, choose to show support first. Here in a transfer environment, it would make sense to choose "support first" as a reasonable way to achieve the aims of the transfer.

So over 2 , the bid here is clearly 2 . Opener gets to declare in whenever that is the right strain. If opener had 2 and 4 , then over 2 , opener should rebid 2 which denies 3 . If opener holds 3 , 2 , and 5 in a minor, opener can rebid 3 of the minor.

Typically, but not exclusively, when using checkback, responder is looking for a major fit either a 5-3 fit in responder's "shown" (1 = ) major, or, responder holds 4-4 in the majors and is looking a 4-4 fit in the other major. Since the priority is to show support first, then logically a 2 NT responder rebid after the 2 reply to checkback tends to deny the 5-3 fit and suggests that responder is 4-4 in the majors. If opener has 4 along with the 3 shown, then over 2 NT opener should bid 3 to show the 4 and avoid missing a potential 4-4 fit.

With the actual hand asked about, after 2 followed by 2 NT, opener can bid 3 showing the 5 . Without 5 in a minor, opener simply bids 3 NT.

One special case you might want to consider is what to do when opener has 4-3-3-3 hand with a 4 card minor. with a lack of ruffing potential, either 3 NT or 4 of a major might be right. In the game forcing 2 checkback, you might consider a 3 NT rebid as showing exactly this hand. Responder, even with a 5-3 major fit, is in position to judge which contract may play better.

#20 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-04, 01:16

Sorry, double post!

This post has been edited by chasetb: 2016-October-04, 01:19

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users