A7XX

AKx
AJx
AQ9
QJ6X

Auction was 2N 3D 3H 4N 6N

Lead sQ.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-29, 10:06

View PostPhil, on 2016-September-29, 08:13, said:

Play 6N:

Void
Kq98x
J7XX
A7XX

AKx
AJx
AQ9
QJ6X

Lead sQ.
On many of these hands, nobody answers until I misplay it, so let's get the ball rolling.

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-September-29, 10:37

I see Kaitlyn and I came up with essentially similar suggestions but I'll leave my reply because it includes a hand diagram.
Discard a from dummy and wiin with A.
AJ overtaking if LHO follows. Finesse Q.
- If Q wins, cross to dummy's A and lead a
- - If RHO follows then claim (2 x s, 5 x s, 2 x s, 3 x s ).
- - If RHO shows out on the 2nd then cash winners and
- - - guess s. with no clues, leading J hoping to pin T
- - - (Making 2 x s, 5 x s, 3 x s, 2 x s ).
- If Q finesse loses, LHO returns a squeezing dummy.
- - Best to chuck a , giving up the chance of doubleton T9.
- - Run Q, cash A, Run hoping s split or
- - A minor suit (show-up) squeeze.
- - - (Making 2 x s, 5 x s, 3 x s, 2 x s ).

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-September-29, 11:20

My own analysis is that these answers are good, but there is a slightly better line that gets you home when West has four clubs.
Hi y'all!

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-September-29, 11:32

View PostPhil, on 2016-September-29, 11:20, said:

My own analysis is that these answers are good, but there is a slightly better line that gets you home when West has four clubs.
:( I think I understand Phil's point:
After a winning Q finesse, Lead Q from hand. If LHO covers, you can finesse 7 on the way back, when RHO follows. This wins 3 tricks when
  • s split 3-2 or
  • LHO has singleton K, T, or 9 or
  • RHO has singleton T or 9
and 4 tricks when RHO has doubleton T9 :)

#6 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-29, 13:08

View Postnige1, on 2016-September-29, 11:32, said:

:( I think I understand Phil's point:
Lead Q from hand. If LHO covers, you can finesse 7 on the way back, when RHO follows. This wins 3 or tricks when
  • s split 3-2 or
  • LHO has singleton K, T, or 9 or
  • RHO has singleton T or 9
and 4 tricks when RHO has doubleton T9 :)

As 8 is also with opponents,only chance is to take a deep finesse in to cater to West's 4card holding.It only loses when singleton or doubleton D10 is offside.

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-September-29, 13:58

View Postalok c, on 2016-September-29, 13:08, said:

As 8 is also with opponents,only chance is to take a deep finesse in to cater to West's 4card holding.It only loses when singleton or doubleton D10 is offside.
Thank you AlokC :)
I made a mistake copying the diagram :(.
Corrected here (I hope).
If Q wins but LHO has 4 s, I'd lead J hoping to pin T.

But I suspect that Phil has a more cunning solution :)

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-29, 14:35

Leading J increases your chances of 3 diamond tricks without a loser (specially when West has 4 clubs), but it reduces your chances of 3 tricks with a loser, I don't think it improves much.

#9 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-September-29, 14:40

Thanks for weighing in Nigel. Let's say we start.

1. Win. Pitch club.
2-3 AJ hearts, overtaking.
4. Hook diamond, winning
5. CA, club to hand and RHO blows.

Our count is 2S 5H 2D 2C. Unless the diamond K drops we are DOA.

How about dJ at T4? If it loses, we need the club hook, and can try for 33 diamonds and a squeeze.

If the diamond Jack gets covered, we can still fall back on the other 2nd D hook if clubs go 4-1 on left.

Edit - cross posted w our world semi finalist....
Hi y'all!

#10 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-29, 15:48

It's clear that DJ is better if the DK is onside.

I led a diamond to the queen because the DJ is still there as an entry in the endgame if the DK is offside.

Let's do a simple comparison.

The DJ lead picks up when East has the D-K10 and West has four clubs (not bad, since when West does have four clubs, East is more likely to hold the D10.)

If I lead the DJ and lose the finesse, aren't my squeeze chances botched? Spade comes back and I must ditch a club in order to keep 3-3 diamond alive. I lead CQ, when covered, my only entry to the 13th diamond is hearts so I unblock diamonds, and run hearts. Squeeze still works here. So say West doesn't cover. I can play the top diamonds but lose an entry to the CJ so it appears that I have to play for a criss cross squeeze and could very well go down if diamonds were 3-3 all along. Unless I'm doing something seriously wrong, I have to guess the ending and am either giving up the 3-3 diamonds or the squeeze.

I think this also costs me the opportunity to try for a doubleton king of clubs and the squeeze. For if I lead the CQ and it floats, and I lead a club to the ace, I need to take the DAQ now for the heart is the only entry to the last diamond if diamonds are 3-3. I must keep a diamond entry in hand in case the CK is doubleton. Granted, the criss cross squeeze is going to work if the CK is doubleton, as long as I cash the CA in the endgame. I have to give up on something - I'm not sure what the best thing to give up is but it sure seems like it's more likely than four clubs in West and D-K10 in East.

Am I seeing this wrong? It seems to me that the DJ is too valuable an entry to waste when the DK is with West.

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-September-29, 16:13

Wow. Great stuff!

Reasonably, Kaitlyn and Fluffy have slight reservations about leading J at trick 3.

On balance, however, I feel that Phil is right that an early J is your best shot. If LHO fails to cover K he will almost always have 3 s, so, reducing the chances of a minor suit criss-cross squeeze. In any case, when choosing between a 3-3 break and a squeeze, expert declarers like Phil and Fluffy have an uncanny knack for sussing out defender's distribution :)

#12 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-29, 16:22

View Postnige1, on 2016-September-29, 16:13, said:

In any case, when choosing between a 3-3 break and a squeeze, expert declarers like Phil and Fluffy often suss out defender's distribution :)
Ah, there's the rub. Non-expert Kaitlyn is going to get it wrong half the time, so a low diamond to the queen is a good play for her. Maybe when she plays like Phil and Fluffy, she'll lead the DJ (if it occurs to her!) The most surprising thing to me is that I'm still able to be in this conversation with some clearly superior declarers, and haven't yet been proven wrong about having to give up one of my chances.

#13 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-September-29, 16:34

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-September-29, 16:22, said:

Ah, there's the rub. Non-expert Kaitlyn is going to get it wrong half the time, so a low diamond to the queen is a good play for her. Maybe when she plays like Phil and Fluffy, she'll lead the DJ (if it occurs to her!)

Haha I think youve written some good stuff here. I gave the hand to a well known GLM and he insta played hAJ d to Q, so you have some good company.
Hi y'all!

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-30, 02:04

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-September-29, 16:22, said:

Ah, there's the rub. Non-expert Kaitlyn is going to get it wrong half the time, so a low diamond to the queen is a good play for her. Maybe when she plays like Phil and Fluffy, she'll lead the DJ (if it occurs to her!) The most surprising thing to me is that I'm still able to be in this conversation with some clearly superior declarers, and haven't yet been proven wrong about having to give up one of my chances.

If you played in my local club for a while leading the jack would always be the first thing you'd think :)

I don't think anyone has claimed you are non-expert, and I am still looking for Phil to explain why leading J is better, my gut feeling is that it is not since it requires 2 things to work instead of just 1 (clubs 4-1 behind with K10 diamonds onside vs 10x somewhere)

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-30, 14:38

View PostFluffy, on 2016-September-30, 02:04, said:

I don't think anyone has claimed you are non-expert, and I am still looking for Phil to explain why leading J is better, my gut feeling is that it is not since it requires 2 things to work instead of just 1 (clubs 4-1 behind with K10 diamonds onside vs 10x somewhere)

When K is on starting J has obvious advantage. When it is off it has obvious disadvantage. Gonzalo is right that there may not be such a significant difference.

If you guys want to compare the success rate of J vs small to Q in 6 NT (excluding squeeze odds) you need to decide what each choice decides to do AFTER the finesse worked/did not work.
Critical cards are K-T-8

A-K is on

• When the K is on, both lines need 3-2 or Kxxx with East.
  • When W has Kxxx both lines need to make 2 more tricks WITHOUT losing any trick. (Trying clubs already gave them 1 trick)
  • Small to Q starters will then have to choose whether they should cash the A and play for Kx onside or play for Tx offside. (I will name them as Q1 and Q2)
  • Starting with J, of course will be covered, and will have same decision whether to finesse or cash the A. They started J because they want to finesse the T if things go south.

B-K is off
  • When it is off, both lines need K to be on
  • If the K is on, both lines need to score the remaining tricks
  • Small to Q starters will either cash A or finesse the T
  • Starting with J leaves no choice but to hope for 3-3 and some small splits such as T8 doubleton onside.

A Combinations: (do not forget we already lost a trick to club when we try that suit, and starting J is covered by K, Q1 is to play small to Q and then play for Kx onside, Q2 is to play small to Q and then play for Tx offside)

T8xxx-K (starting J loses, Q1-Q2 wins) 1.21%
T8xx-Kx (starting J loses, Q1 wins, Q2 loses) 4.84%
T84-Kxx (all lines lose)
T8-Kxxx (starting J loses because will finesse the T on 2nd round, Q1 loses,Q2 wins)1.61%
Txxx-K8 (starting J loses, Q1 wins,Q2 loses) 1.61%
Txx-K8x (all lines lose)
Tx-K8xx (starting J loses because will finesse T on 2nd round, Q1 loses, Q2 wins) 4.84%
T-K8xxx( all lines win)
8xxx-KT (all lines win
8xx-KTx (starting J wins, Q1 loses, Q2 loses) 5.33%
8x-KTxx (starting J wins, Q1 loses, Q2 loses) 4.84%
8-KTxxx (starting J wins, Q1 loses,Q2 loses) 1.21%
xxx-KT8 (starting J wins, Q1-Q2 loses) 1.78%
xx-KT8x (starting J wins, Q1-Q2 loses) 4.84%
x-KT8xx (starting J wins, Q1-Q2 loses) 3.63 %
Void-KT8xxx(starting J wins, Q1-Q2 loses) 0.75 %

SCORE
Q1=7.66
Q2=7.66
Start J =22.38

B Combinations (K has to be on, we already lost our J or Q to the K) Q1= starts small to Q, loses to K and then finesses to T Q2=starts small to Q, loses to K and then cashes A

KT8xxx-Void (starting J definitely loses, small to Q when sees void can go up with A and play small towards J, W has to duck which gives a shot on shifting to clubs) 0.75%
KT8xx-x ( all lose)
KT8x-xx (all lose)
KT8-xxx( J wins, Q1 loses, Q2 wins) 1.78%
KTxxx-8 (J loses, Q1-Q2 wins) 1.21%
KTxx-8x (J loses, Q1 loses, Q2 wins if guesses to finesse the T ***, ) 4.84%
KTx-8xx (J wins, Q1 loses, Q2 wins) 5.33%
KT-8xxx ( J loses, Q1 loses, Q2 wins) 1.61 %
K8xxx-T (J loses, Q1-Q2 wins) 1.21%
K8xx-Tx (J loses, Q1-Q2 wins) 4.84%
K8x-Txx ( all win)
K8-Txxx (J loses, Q1 wins, Q2 loses) 1.61%
Kxxx-T8 (all win)
Kxx-T8x (all win)
Kx-T8xx (J loses, Q1 wins, Q2 loses) 4.84%
K-T8xxx (J loses, Q1 wins, Q2 loses) 1.21%

J =7.11
Q1=15.67
Q2=21.57

Overall score

J= 7.11+22.38=29.49
Q1=7.66+15.67= 23.33
Q2=7.66+21.57= 29.23

View PostPhil, on 2016-September-29, 16:34, said:

Haha I think youve written some good stuff here. I gave the hand to a well known GLM and he insta played hAJ d to Q, so you have some good company.

Maybe he knew that it did not really matter,
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-30, 15:00

View PostPhil, on 2016-September-29, 08:13, said:

Play 6N:

Void
Kq98x
J7XX
A7XX

AKx
AJx
AQ9
QJ6X

Lead sQ.

I think the preceding posters have covered the play, but what strikes me about this hand is the auction. Why 4N? North doesn't have enough power for a NT slam; he needs to find a suit fit. How about a pedestrian 4C over 3H, after which you'll reach a 6C contract that is much better.

#17 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-30, 15:02

I am wondering why I am playing 6NT when 6C is a very fine contract that should have been reached. What was that 4NT bid anyway?

Regardless, you have 7 major suit tricks and need 5 from the minors. Clubs cannot produce 3 tricks without the loss of 1 trick, so you are going to have to play on diamonds and learn how many diamond tricks you can take without losing the lead.

So, win the first spade pitching a club from dummy, and play the Ace of hearts, Jack of hearts, and a third round of hearts to dummy. Now play a diamond, finessing for the King against RHO by playing the Queen.

If this holds, return to dummy with tha Ace of clubs, cash two high hearts, pitching a spade and diamond. and now play a club toward your QJx, attempting to win 3 club tricks.

If the Queen of diamonds loses to the King, you plan to rely on the club finesse. Presumably LHO continues spades. You win pitching another club from dummy and now the Jack of clubs and take the finesse. If this loses, oh well, down a bunch.

If it wins, play a club to the Ace. If the King comes down, you're home, so assume it doesn't. Now run the hearts pitching a club and a spade. You now hope for a 3-3 diamond break or a minor suit squeeze to be operating on the run of the hearts.

Next time, bid intelligently and get to your club slam.

#18 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-30, 15:35

View PostCaitlynne, on 2016-September-30, 15:02, said:

I don't know how to get to 6C by South. If East leads a diamond, 6C by North has no play if West has the DK. Phil wanted to cater to 4-1 clubs in West; which puts 6C in deep trouble.

The diamond lead isn't as long a shot as you think. Your good auction might start something like 2NT P 3D P 3H P 4C P 4D Double. At this point you are just toast in 6C and are going to have to revert to 6H or 6NT to have a chance. I'll bet nobody leads the DJ from dummy in 6NT after West doubled a 4D cue bid!

There is also the fact that many good auctions that get to 6C will point out the possibility of a heart ruff to the defenders; for example if East has 4 hearts and the doubleton CK, and the defenders have shown 8 hearts, most of the players that would be playing against Phil could figure out that a heart lead had a good chance of beating this.

6C could have handling problems even when East has 4 clubs. South has two diamonds and a spade to deal with, and while you have the tricks, the timing seems really tricky since North likely needs all five heart tricks without the opponents trumping with a non-winner.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-30, 15:40

View PostCaitlynne, on 2016-September-30, 15:02, said:

I am wondering why I am playing 6NT when 6C is a very fine contract that should have been reached. What was that 4NT bid anyway?

Regardless, you have 7 major suit tricks and need 5 from the minors. Clubs cannot produce 3 tricks without the loss of 1 trick, so you are going to have to play on diamonds and learn how many diamond tricks you can take without losing the lead.

So, win the first spade pitching a club from dummy, and play the Ace of hearts, Jack of hearts, and a third round of hearts to dummy. Now play a diamond, finessing for the King against RHO by playing the Queen.

If this holds, return to dummy with tha Ace of clubs, cash two high hearts, pitching a spade and diamond. and now play a club toward your QJx, attempting to win 3 club tricks.

If the Queen of diamonds loses to the King, you plan to rely on the club finesse. Presumably LHO continues spades. You win pitching another club from dummy and now the Jack of clubs and take the finesse. If this loses, oh well, down a bunch.

If it wins, play a club to the Ace. If the King comes down, you're home, so assume it doesn't. Now run the hearts pitching a club and a spade. You now hope for a 3-3 diamond break or a minor suit squeeze to be operating on the run of the hearts.

If you are going to make a comment, at least take a moment before you start shooting.

• This is not one of the popular topics where everyone has zillions of ideas, including my dog, how to bid and find the best contract by looking at least 2 hands if not 4 hands. Please don't try to turn this into one of them.
  • 6 being better than 6 NT is debatable unless you invent an auction where south intelligently declares 6, North will have issues on lead.
  • Next time read intelligently and do not offer a solution that has already been suggested and debated. Or if you already read, do not copy someone else's reply.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-September-30, 16:18

6C is excellent.

4N isn't that crazy since if partner accepts slam he can bid 5N or 6m along the way.

4C makes it practically impossible to find a slam in diamonds.
Hi y'all!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users