Posted 2016-September-27, 04:36

{comments}

The bidding speaks for itself.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-27, 04:47

Yes, we have seen this auction a few times before. The problem is that there is a gap in the GIB system here, and GIB then defaults to "when in doubt, pass".

It is probably not so easy to fix this. Ideally, "pass" would always mean something, so whenever GIB encounters a gap in its system it should pick the smallest lie which is not necesarily pass.

Alternatively, make it a rule never to pass a forcing bid, i.e. a bid that is explicitly forcing, or unlimited, or is at a lower level than to which GIB is already forced..
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-27, 06:39

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-September-27, 04:47, said:

Yes, we have seen this auction a few times before. The problem is that there is a gap in the GIB system here, and GIB then defaults to "when in doubt, pass".

It is probably not so easy to fix this. Ideally, "pass" would always mean something, so whenever GIB encounters a gap in its system it should pick the smallest lie which is not necesarily pass.

Alternatively, make it a rule never to pass a forcing bid, i.e. a bid that is explicitly forcing, or unlimited, or is at a lower level than to which GIB is already forced..

This is such a trivial, common, uncomplicated low level sequence for GIB not to have a defined rule to handle it
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-27, 12:08

I would suggest that jumps to 5 of a major over partner's takeout doubles be defined as natural and slam invitational - not forcing. This may not be ideal but I would give much better results than the ill-defined cue bids which GIB partners are unable to interpret. At least you would usually be in the right strain. This hand should fit within that description I believe.

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-27, 12:52

View Postiandayre, on 2016-September-27, 12:08, said:

I would suggest that jumps to 5 of a major over partner's takeout doubles be defined as natural and slam invitational - not forcing. This may not be ideal but I would give much better results than the ill-defined cue bids which GIB partners are unable to interpret. At least you would usually be in the right strain. This hand should fit within that description I believe.

The cue bid would probably have gotten to the "right" strain if the other GIB didn't pass although I wouldn't bet any money on it. As far as a jump to 5M, isn't that the GIB agreement (I have no idea whether it is or not, but that's what I would expect). It will certainly get to a better contract than playing in a 5 level cue bid.

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-01, 20:22

What format was this from? Were you playing on your phone or something like that? Any information about what game you were playing in would help.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#7 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-04, 05:05

View Postjdonn, on 2016-October-01, 20:22, said:

What format was this from? Were you playing on your phone or something like that? Any information about what game you were playing in would help.

Can I help you?

Here is my hand played by my basic Gib.

I think cuebid 5 to show 11+TPs is a correct system bid according to present Gib CC system, however after cuebid 5, here there is no following system bids on Gib CC, and there is no following bidding rule on Gib programming. Actually Gib W really didn't know how to bid.
Maybe it would be a tough work if fix this issue.

#8 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-04, 14:24

Here is another hand where the unfortunate South was passed in a high level cue bid by GIB. This is from an ACBL
Robot Tournament. I just successfully bid my longest suit at the 6 level in the same position, but 5S wasn't so bad in my opinion.

http://tinyurl.com/zeeswmr

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users