• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

overcalling with good 5422's

#21 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-27, 10:42

Inflexible here means "you don't get a choice on when to play it"; more particularly, "you can't hold up". Same (or more so) applies to singleton A or Qxx into nothing.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#22 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-27, 12:15

1NT will avoid trouble in diamonds, and shows strength accurately, only flaw is that a single stopper to a 5+ suit is not ideal.
Double encourages spades, but risks playing in diamonds, and also will struggle to show the strength,

I have it hard to decide between both.

#23 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-September-27, 19:20

[/quote]

I rank
1. 1N = NAT. Slightly off-shape.
2. 1 = NAT. Good suit but a bit short.
3. Double = T/O. Fixed by likely response.
4. 2 = NAT. Poor suit. Dangerous.
5. 1N = ART. Raptor. 5+m 4+OM. Poor honor placement and a bit strong :( Kit Woolsey recommends Raptor over short / because you can show either minor but probably not with hands like this :)

#24 User is offline   jddons 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-September-30, 09:59

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-September-27, 09:45, said:

What exactly do you mean by "inflexible" stop?

What would constitute a "flexible" stop?

Mycroft has my meaning exactly; hence a flexible stop would be Axx(x) so that you choose when/if to cut defensive communication.

#25 User is offline   jddons 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-September-30, 10:42

Thanks for all the opinions expressed. There seems to be a preference for a 1NT overcall, albeit not a strong one. Although the actual hand is not really pertinent to the post, I know that I like to find out what precipitated other peoples posts.

As you see, when North bid again, I, East, decided to go quietly. I led K and continued with J. Partner expecting me to have 3 diamonds won with the A and switched after which 8 tricks were routine for declarer.- 4 IMPs. Of course, an immediate diamond ruff followed by AK and a fourth diamond for a trump promotion would defeat the contract. For EW, 1N is straightforward, 2 and 2 look more problematic.

#26 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-30, 12:13

View Postjddons, on 2016-September-30, 10:42, said:

1N is straightforward, 2 and 2 look more problematic.
2S by East is interesting (after a 1S overcall) - it appears that South should lead a trump after ruffing a heart at trick 2 but that is far from obvious single dummy, and a diamond or a club lead will probably let 2S slip through.

#27 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-30, 13:35

that your partner misdefended 2D doesn't affect the bidding. considering north bid again when you were trying to play in his qtxx side suit, it seems a safe bet that he would have bid had you tried any of the pseudo-alternatives.

#28 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-01, 02:03

I would have made a double initially, and I expect partner not to bid 2 unless (s)he has 5 or more of them. This means oftentimes a 1 response to a T/O X is made on a 3-card suit, but in this position I don't think I have ever made one without having 4 Spades. Your partner must not be that flexible (unless (s)he thought you had KJT, in which case I have a little sympathy).
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#29 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-01, 04:08

Although I don't hate to o/c a decent 4 card suit I think I would bid 1N. We may as well go for the home run as any action carries risk. 2C for me is not even a close consideration. For example your LHO might get a free shot to convert a re-opening dble of 2C holding as little as J10xx and perhaps Ace of H. A 2C o/c could produce a divot any golfer would be proud of. While 1NT isn't perfect it looks to me like the best choice even with my lack of aces.

#30 User is offline   jddons 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-October-02, 03:59

View Postchasetb, on 2016-October-01, 02:03, said:

I would have made a double initially, and I expect partner not to bid 2 unless (s)he has 5 or more of them. This means oftentimes a 1 response to a T/O X is made on a 3-card suit, but in this position I don't think I have ever made one without having 4 Spades. Your partner must not be that flexible (unless (s)he thought you had KJT, in which case I have a little sympathy).

You make a good point. I would prefer a 1 to 2 response. I was actually playing with a regular partner of cyberyeti. Like cy, he also preferred a 1 bid on my hand. Playing in this style, one can place less reliance on 4 spades for the double and more reliance of at least 3 cards in both minors. Who would have thought take out doubles presented so many opportunities for misunderstanding.

#31 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-October-02, 07:43

View Postjddons, on 2016-September-30, 10:42, said:

Thanks for all the opinions expressed. There seems to be a preference for a 1NT overcall, albeit not a strong one. Although the actual hand is not really pertinent to the post, I know that I like to find out what precipitated other peoples posts.

As you see, when North bid again, I, East, decided to go quietly. I led K and continued with J. Partner expecting me to have 3 diamonds won with the A and switched after which 8 tricks were routine for declarer.- 4 IMPs. Of course, an immediate diamond ruff followed by AK and a fourth diamond for a trump promotion would defeat the contract. For EW, 1N is straightforward, 2 and 2 look more problematic.

You can also lead a club and the contract will go quietly although I agree the defense is fairly straightforward.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users