• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Misbid basics

#1 User is offline   timjand 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-September-22, 10:56

EBU club.

Have read the White Book section but I still find this confusing.

For example:

1NT - 2D* - P - 2S

2D by E is alerted and explained as Astro showing Spades and another suit. However E has forgotten the system and has 5 diamonds.

Let's presume that E is well-behaved and does not flinch or give any indication that the 2D is a misbid.

Would it be an infraction for E now to bid 3D having been "woken up" by partner's explanation? Holding, for example, only 2 spades? Of course there is a risk that W may now bid 3S or even 4S, but E may hope that W may be weak and pass?

Tim

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-22, 11:19

Yes. You are 100% not entitled to any information from partner's alerts. You have to stay dumb, and bid as if partner thinks you have , and he has .

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-22, 12:10

View PostTylerE, on 2016-September-22, 11:19, said:

Yes. You are 100% not entitled to any information from partner's alerts. You have to stay dumb, and bid as if partner thinks you have , and he has .

Your partner also may have a problem. When you bid 3 this looks like a game try so you're probably not playing there. If he passes, questions will probably be asked how many times it's happened before and there's a danger you'll be done for fielding a misbid in the EBU.

#4 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-22, 12:31

View PostTylerE, on 2016-September-22, 11:19, said:

As a consequence you cannot simply pass 2 with a three card spade suit. You will have to raise "his" spades to the appropriate level. So you may well end up in 4 on a 3-3 fit. Life is hard when you misbid...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#5 User is offline   timjand 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-September-22, 15:59

Thanks for the clarifications :-)

Tim

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users