BBO Discussion Forums: Transfers over 1C. Allowed where? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfers over 1C. Allowed where?

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-September-20, 11:48

I looked at the Midchart today:

It's not terribly obvious where transfers over 1C are allowed but maybe Section 3 allows its use: "All Constructive rebids and responses...."

And there's nowhere that indicates it is allowable in a NABC pair game.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-20, 12:52

View PostPhil, on 2016-September-20, 11:48, said:

I looked at the Midchart today:

It's not terribly obvious where transfers over 1C are allowed but maybe Section 3 allows its use: "All Constructive rebids and responses...."

And there's nowhere that indicates it is allowable in a NABC pair game.

That is what allows it. Is there some reason you think it doesn't apply?

It applies in an NABC pair game because it says the chart applies to "All NABC+ events with no upper masterpoint restrictions played at an NABC."

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-September-20, 15:54

View Postjeffford76, on 2016-September-20, 12:52, said:

That is what allows it. Is there some reason you think it doesn't apply?

It applies in an NABC pair game because it says the chart applies to "All NABC+ events with no upper masterpoint restrictions played at an NABC."

I wasn't sure. I suppose the confusion stems from not having it specifically listed
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-21, 02:59

The UK is more inclusive. "From responder’s first call onwards all partnership understandings are permitted."
We have the advantage that you can be "destructive" as well as "constructive".

I play 1 (p) 2/2/3/3 as 6+ card weak (natural) long suits. Is this constructive or destructive? Are these responses not allowed in the USA? EDIT : I expect these must be allowed in another section than your quoted section 3.

#5 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-21, 08:13

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-September-21, 02:59, said:

From responder’s first call onwards all partnership understandings are permitted.

Sweden has the same rule. All kind of overcalls are also permitted. It is only the opening bids that are regulated. We do not have any forbidden opening bids either, its just that the "ammount of artificiality" can not surpass a certain level. That level depends on what kind of tournament you're playing.

#6 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-21, 11:25

What's a destructive response? I can't think of many opposite 1, but I assume we're talking things like:

After 1 8-12, 4+, 3 level jump shifts show weak (0-7ish) hands either long or short in that suit, does not deny spade support; and
after 2 "weak preempt in any suit", 3 of a major is "to play undoubled opposite anything, even your suit. Thou shalt not raise, especially if that's your suit."

Natural weak jump shifts, especially ones that have expected length, are nowhere near the level the ACBL describes as "destructive" - spelled out in the GCC as: "primarily designed to destroy the opponents' methods".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2016-October-03, 08:31

So it applies in some NABC pair games. This in a nutshell is the reason I don't currently have any Midchart conventions on my card: I could play them in a main event, but not play them the day before to practice (except online), and not play them the day after if I didn't qualify.

Maybe there are a handful of districts where Midchart is allowed in the A/X part of a strataflighted pairs game at regionals. (Good luck finding more than two days of that in a week-long regional, too.) I proposed it once when I was a D19 board - even had a list of players who would travel to play in our tournament if we added a couple of Midchart events - and struggled to even get a second for the motion.

Where I live currently, I get one 2-session pairs game per year where the Midchart applies (the district finals of for NAOP.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users