Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

On the beach

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-19, 16:29

We are going to the beach for a couple of days.

Who cares? Good point.

But I am sick beyond belief of the current politics. So I thought I would say something else.

Please feel free to chime in with anything you wish, except for a certain dismaying topic.
Ken

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-September-20, 01:24

View Postkenberg, on 2016-September-19, 16:29, said:

We are going to the beach for a couple of days.

Who cares? Good point.

But I am sick beyond belief of the current politics. So I thought I would say something else.

Please feel free to chime in with anything you wish, except for a certain dismaying topic.

Good on you kenberg :) Enjoy!

Reading all those replies on The Water Cooler by commentators on that certain dismaying topic, let alone what the national press writes, is total overload for most people. It's in your face day in day out. We had the same for Brexit in this country :( Some of the comments, reporting, and lies and spin were just frankly ludicrous. Let alone what the politicans were saying...

Sadly, in the aftermatch of Brexit it is still lingering hideously like a bad smell. I expect the same will happen in the USA after the vote on that certain dismaying topic.

I hate politics so much now. I hate the biased and manipulative press, especially in this country, both left, centre and right wing. But I do enjoy the seaside and the beach. I live next to the sea: it's brilliant!

Have a good break! And I genuinely mean it: I know exactly how you feel. Politics sucks!

#3 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-20, 01:31

OK here's a random topic: English --> English subtitles.

I have noticed (esp. on BBC) UK that when Asians or Africans speak English, the BBC adds subtitles to "clarify" what the people are saying (an example: https://www.youtube....h?v=_oZbJuS4vhY).

I recall seeing this phenomenon when a Kenyan was talking about some terrorist event in his city, an Indian talking about some elections, and (the above clip) a BBC correspondent from Pakistan describing a distressing situation. In each case, I found the clip had a sufficiently competent English speaker who (although had an accent) could probably be understood by most Brits.

It is impossible to imagine an equivalent scenario where a Liverpool resident, a Scouser (from Newcastle) or a Glaswegian (from Glasgow, Scotland) is interviewed on BBC and they subtitle the text. Honestly, the Scouse and some Scottish accents are so thick and complex that often native Britishers are unable to understand every word of what's being said. However, any attempt to subtitle their speech will cause a huge uproar and the BBC would probably be forced to apologise.

Now isn't that interesting!?

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-20, 01:35

I have to know.. was this thread's title a clever play on words, or was that accidental?

#5 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-September-20, 02:05

hi kenberg,

Just a little something courtesy of YouTube to help you forget the politics, and remember the good times in the USA. (I love the harmonies on this song.)

https://youtu.be/nZBKFoeDKJo

A real feelgood blast from the past. Really uplifting :)

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-September-20, 07:27

View PostThe_Badger, on 2016-September-20, 02:05, said:

hi kenberg,

Just a little something courtesy of YouTube to help you forget the politics, and remember the good times in the USA. (I love the harmonies on this song.)

https://youtu.be/nZBKFoeDKJo

A real feelgood blast from the past. Really uplifting :)

Exactly what i needed!

I have to know.. was this thread's title a clever play on words, or was that accidental?

A little of each, I assume you are referring to the movie/film. I saw the movie when it came out, I never read the book. The ominousness (that's a word?) did occur to me.

But I do enjoy the seaside and the beach. I live next to the sea: it's brilliant!

Very nice. Being originally from Minnesota, the Land of Ten Thousand lakes (an undercount, actually) I still find the ocean overwhelming. For example, I have swum across small lakes, I probably should not try the Atlantic. Becky, although born in Missouri, spent her adolescence in San Francisco so the ocean is natural for her. She also was not far from Haight-Ashbury in her teens, although I think that played a bigger role in her younger sister's life since Becky was off to college by the time things really hit their stride there. Her parents thought that maybe, oh let's see, maybe somewhere in Ohio would be a really good place for her to go to college.

Honestly, the Scouse and some Scottish accents are so thick and complex that often native Britishers are unable to understand every word of what's being said.

Back before everything became so homogenized I drove (no Interstate) from Minneapolis to Dallas. I stopped for gas in Oklahoma and after some attempt at oral communication we settled for sign language.
Ken

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-September-20, 09:12

View Postshyams, on 2016-September-20, 01:31, said:

OK here's a random topic: English --> English subtitles.

BBC America used to put up a reminder before their programs, saying that if you have trouble understanding the British accents you should turn on Closed Captioning.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-20, 10:39

Funniest press conference I ever saw was of a French Canadian football player who got a scholarship to play quarterback in Georgia and then returned to play in the Canadian Football League.

He answered a few questions in French and then when he took one in English..... YOWZA!
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-September-20, 10:41

Have fun and enjoy.

If you are looking for something good to read, I would heartily recommend "Last Call" by Tim Powers and "Use of Weapons" by Iain M. Banks.
Alderaan delenda est

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-20, 13:13

I saw The Committments when it came out. Even with the (Dubliner) English->English Subtitles, I was really glad I had come with a daughter of Eire to translate!

And my family (Wearsiders, so not *truly* Geordie) are hard enough to understand that it still takes me 5 minutes or so to get my ear in. I'm sure they find me equally hard to get.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-September-20, 14:37

Oklahoma doesn't have beaches - we have sons of beaches.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#12 User is offline   Thiros 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Greek fire, Damascus steel, Linear A

Posted 2016-September-20, 18:04

As it happened, I was at North Shore Shave Ice just this past Saturday. Got a regular size with three flavors -- Mai Tai, Pina Colada and Margarita. The only thing missing was to have on hand a 1-oz. bottle of Bacardi rum (or tequila) from Hi-Time.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-September-22, 03:41

View Postkenberg, on 2016-September-20, 07:27, said:

A little of each, I assume you are referring to the movie/film.

Funnily enough the thread title made me think of a certain cocktail (with the addition of an extra 3-letter word) rather than a movie. Perhaps I need to get to the cinema more often! (or perhaps just to the beach!)
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-22, 10:15

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-September-22, 03:41, said:

Funnily enough the thread title made me think of a certain cocktail (with the addition of an extra 3-letter word) rather than a movie. Perhaps I need to get to the cinema more often! (or perhaps just to the beach!)

Or have less cocktails and talk to someone about that other thing... :P

Spoiler

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#15 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-September-22, 10:48

I thought of that, and the Chris Rea song

#16 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-September-23, 19:44

Ah yes, I missed that! I am getting old.
We had nice long walks on the beach and in the water, and , particularly in the morning on Thursday, the waves were vigorous and the undertow strong.
But that's about as exciting as it got.
We ate well, including some swordfish and some lobster stew, had some good wine and spent some time with friends.
That's pretty much it. A mild bit of sunburn for a souvenir.
Ken

#17 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-24, 14:30

Imagine, you are on the beach drinking already the sixth of the Six On The Beach coctail, falling slowly into the sleep...and dreaming about the time journey into the year 3045...where smb hands you a 500 000 USD note, you look at it, at the portrait...and.. you wake up screaming like never before in your life,,,,

whom did you see?:ph34r:

Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users