BBO Discussion Forums: Measure claiming as proxy for goodness of play - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Measure claiming as proxy for goodness of play How about % of hands claimed successfully/unsuccessfully?

Poll: Show claims % on player's profie? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Should BBO display a player's claim %s on their profile?

1. Yes, an indication of player quality (7 votes [29.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

2. No, I don't want this measure made of me (17 votes [70.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-21, 09:02

View Postbarmar, on 2016-September-21, 08:43, said:

GIB uses single dummy analysis when deciding whether a claim is good. I don't think it ever accepts a claim based on guessing a 2-way finesse correctly.

Its single-dummy analysis is pretty poor too. I recently played a little with the robots, and often when I claimed with all top tricks the only option I was given was to concede the rest of the tricks.

This type of thing would make the OP's suggestion spectacularly unhelpful.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-21, 09:16

View PostVampyr, on 2016-September-21, 09:02, said:

Its single-dummy analysis is pretty poor too. I recently played a little with the robots, and often when I claimed with all top tricks the only option I was given was to concede the rest of the tricks.

I believe its algorithm is very good. There is a flaw in the implementation which allows only concedes when opps lead to the trick but that's a different issue.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#23 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-21, 10:31

This whole discussion brings up an interesting point: the OP wants a percentage of claims to see how good the player is?

1. There are players who have played for many years that might be able to claim accurately but they are wretched bidders, so bad that there is little correlation to what they are bidding and the cards they hold.

2. Let's say that you could determine the skill level of the player. That's not all that should matter to your enjoyment. I have played with many players here that are good but are not at all fun to play with - they are very critical about many bids and plays and not always right despite their skill, and while they are taking time to explain what you did "wrong", the opponents are griping about your partner slowing down the game (and you too if you respond.)

Not all, but most of the players I have found enjoyable to play with here are weaker players than I am (I think.) I might do less well in the IMP score than I would with an arrogant partner that deserves his "expert" rating, but we might play somewhat the same system, and any discussion is constructive (usually either he or I will way "where could I have improved the auction"?)

Quite frankly, a partner who interprets bids and defensive carding the same way I do but fails to make a hand on a baby squeeze that I would find in my sleep is close to an ideal partner, because the parts where we are communicating go swimmingly.

Do the players who want to know others' skill levels want to find weak opponents so they can run up their IMP score and look better than they are? To me, that's not much fun. The games I enjoy the most are where the opponents are decent.

I can see someone using skill level as a starting point to exclude certain players but in the long run, if you want to find partners that you really mesh well with, you're going to have to keep trying people until you find some you like. That's what I'm doing, and it's an interesting road. However, I am currently following some players marked as "Intermediate" because I enjoy playing with them.

#24 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-21, 13:44

As far as the self assessed skill level is concerned, it is pretty useless. I don't think that I have seen a single "expert" who is even close to being that. Most would struggle to get 50% in any decent club. I previously a few suggestions for statistics that might be useful. None are an indication of expertise, however they might indicate how enjoyable a player might be as a partner or opponent.

#25 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-21, 14:40

View PostGrahamJson, on 2016-September-21, 13:44, said:

As far as the self assessed skill level is concerned, it is pretty useless. I don't think that I have seen a single "expert" who is even close to being that. Most would struggle to get 50% in any decent club. I previously a few suggestions for statistics that might be useful. None are an indication of expertise, however they might indicate how enjoyable a player might be as a partner or opponent.
There is one useful statistic that is already recorded that may give an idea of enjoyment but I can't see it either because (a) I am too new, (b) I can't use the client, or © I'm ignorant of ow to see the information.

That factor is board completion rate. I can see my own - it is 99% (must be rounded down as I have played over 200 hands and left once) and the one time is a time when my partner on defense asked for an undo 25 times and was refused 25 times and left, and I didn't relish the opportunity to finish defending the hand with someone who knew nothing about the early defense (I asked for a redeal several times and was likewise refused; we were headed for a wonderful score if my partner remained someone who knew the deal but were probably getting an awful score with someone who knew nothing about the hand - something the refusing player probably knew and was just being despicable when not redealing. Essentially I left because I thought his actions were almost cheating.)

In any event, I don't know if I can see the completion rate for others, if someone completes 60% of their deals, it means they are leaving at the first sign of trouble, like if you misguess a finesse, or even if an opponent annoys them, leaving you again to defend the last half of a hand with someone that doesn't know the early defense. Several pieces of **** avoid reducing their board completion rate by always hosting and booting their partners that misguess a finesse or their opponent that takes more than a second to play a card, so even this statistic is dubious, unless it's combined with a statistic about booting other players from his table.

There is other questionably useful information that others can see but I haven't figured out how to see it. Apparently others can see my IMPs per hand for both the last 50 deals and for the last month. I have not figured out how to see that yet, and wouldn't be surprised if I can't because the client is not available to me. However, I am sure others can see it because someone posted that I had an impressive IMP ratio. TBH it was greatly inflated because I was trying everything including playing a lot in the relaxed room, where the opponents were twice as likely to have a 14-IMP disaster than partner. Full disclosure: I'm not an awesome player :)

Even if I got that information, I don't think it would be that useful. For example, I can run my IMP ratio up by playing in the relaxed room a lot. Now I'm playing mostly team matches; the competition is a little better so my scores are a lot less. I also am picking up partners there which hurts my score. If I play a lot with the same person and we make agreements, my scores will increase again. I'm the same player in every situation but my IMP ratios are all over the place. I imagine the same is true for everybody else, not to mention that players who play against strong opponents a lot are going to appear to be a lot less skillful than they are.

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-September-22, 08:42

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-September-21, 14:40, said:

In any event, I don't know if I can see the completion rate for others

I think the only time you can see this is if you're hosting a table, have it set to require permission to play, and they request a seat. You can then see the requester's completion rate.

#27 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-22, 09:03

I am somewhat surprised that 7 out of 22 people want to see this statistic. Do those 7 all think it's going to give them an idea of skill level, or do they have some other reason for voting yes (like wanting faster games)?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users