BBO Discussion Forums: Relays over Polish/old Precision style 2C - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Relays over Polish/old Precision style 2C

#1 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-19, 05:41

Our 2C opening is 12-16 with 6+C or 5C and 4M, so its like the old Precision version. We use a fairly traditional response structure where 2D is a INV+ relay, 2M shows a 5 card suit and is non-forcing but invitational, 2NT+ are transfers containing a raise to 3C, GF hands with 6+ major, weak hands with diamonds, INV hands with 6+ major, slam seeking hands with diamonds and GF two-suiters without clubs. This means that our 2D response currently is:

- Balanced INV+, with or without four card major(s).
- Slam interest in clubs.
- GF with a five card major.

Opener's rebids are inspired by Meckwell (I think?):

2H = A four card major, not 6-4 if max
2S = 6+ clubs and shortness somewhere
2NT = 6+ clubs, no shortness and max
3C = 6+ clubs, no shortness and min
3DHS = 6-4, max

I've been thinking that perhaps we could use the same principles as over our 1D, 1H, and 1S relays. Here we use 2C as a GF relay and two-suiters resolve at 3C+ and one-suiters at 2NT+, like below (not optimal, but easy to remember):

Two-suiters
3C = High shortness
3D = 5422
3H = 5431 low shortness
3S = 5-5, low shortness
3NT = 6-4, low shortness

One-suiters
2NT = 7+ suit or max with 6322
3C = 6-card suit and shortness, min
3D = 6322 min
3H = 6-card suit, low shortness, max
3S = 6-card suit, medium shortness, max
3NT = 6-card suit, high shortness, max

Could this be used over 2C--2D too? I've been thinking along these lines:

2C--2D;
2H = Natural, could be 4-4-0-5 (rebids 2NT after 2S relay)
2S = Natural
2NT = 6+ clubs, no shortness, min (3C is now non-forcing)
3C = 6+ clubs and shortness, min
3D = 6+ clubs, no shortness, max
3H/S/NT = 6+ clubs, low/medium/high shortness, max

I think this may be better than our current structure regarding slam bidding, but probably worse if its about finding the right game/partscore.

Also I know about Zelandakh's transfer structure (which is nice, but partner won't play it), so please try to stay on topic :)

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-September-19, 09:01

hi Kungsgeten,

I used to play Precision years ago, progressing from the Wei version through to the Sontag version and I'm a great believer that standardising relay bids into 5 or 6 bid blocks with similar meanings for each bid, in essence each step has a defined shape/point count makes life a lot easier in the long run. Obviously, there will be variations depending on what suit you open.

With Sontag, both my partner and I had difficulty remembering the myriad of bids that might crop up infrequently. Trying to remember what 3 meant in that sequence, for example...

On reflection, instead of trying to remember what a bid meant, but realising that the bid was, let's say, 4 steps up from the previous bid in a specific block would have undoubtedly made life easier.

Bridge is difficult enough without brain-crunching trying to remember what a specific bid means if you are playing a complicated system.

I like what you have suggested, it looks playable and wish you all the best trying it out :)

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-19, 09:20

One problem with this type of method is that you probably won't be able to play 2NT after a declined invite. This is not such a big deal when the opening promises 6+, but can be costly opposite the 4-5 hands. In any case, it seems like you might do a bit better by inverting the rebids to:

2 = no four-card major (4-6 or just 6+)
2 = four hearts (2NT relays and into your normal two-suited shapes)
2NT = four spades and high shortness (3 relays and into your normal two-suited shapes)
3 = four spades and low shortness and minimum (3 relay)
3 = 4405
3+ = four spades and low shortness and maximum

There is some assumption here that 4225 can open something else (maybe treat it as a balanced hand).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-19, 18:41

After a 2 relay, I like to play

2 2 Relay
2 4 hearts or maximum 2 opener
2 4 spades
2NT Minimum, 6+ clubs, one outside stopper
3 Minimum, 6+ clubs, 2 (or 3) outside stoppers

After a 2 rebid, 2 is used as a relay

2 2 Relay
2 2 Relay
2NT Maximum, 6+ clubs, 2 (or 3) outside stoppers
3 Maximum, 6+ clubs, 1 outside stopper
3 Fragment, 4 hearts, 5+ clubs
3 For Precision, minimum, 4 hearts, 5+ clubs
3 For Precision, maximum, 4 hearts, 5+ clubs
3NT For Precision, maximum, 4 hearts, stoppers in other 2 suits

If Opener rebids 2NT or 3 either directly over 2 or over a 2 relay, responder can use 3 to ask the location of stoppers for 3NT.

#5 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-20, 00:02

2C-2D

2H-4H or max 4S
.....2S-ask
..........2N-min, 4H
...............P-misfit
...............3C-to play
...............3D-GF ask
..........3C-max, 4S
..........etc-max, 4H
2S-min 6C
.....2N-ask
.....3C-to play
2N-min, 4S
.....P-misfit
.....3C-to play
.....3D-GF ask
3C-max, 6C, bal
3D-max, 6C, higher
3H-max, 6C, middle
etc

I've left out 4405. It could fit in somewhere at the cost of symmetry.

#6 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-20, 01:12

View Postawm, on 2016-September-19, 09:20, said:

One problem with this type of method is that you probably won't be able to play 2NT after a declined invite. This is not such a big deal when the opening promises 6+, but can be costly opposite the 4-5 hands. In any case, it seems like you might do a bit better by inverting the rebids to:

2 = no four-card major (4-6 or just 6+)
2 = four hearts (2NT relays and into your normal two-suited shapes)
2NT = four spades and high shortness (3 relays and into your normal two-suited shapes)
3 = four spades and low shortness and minimum (3 relay)
3 = 4405
3+ = four spades and low shortness and maximum

There is some assumption here that 4225 can open something else (maybe treat it as a balanced hand).

Not being able to play 2NT is a loss, but we have that problem in our current structure too. Your suggested structure looks nice, even though 3D as 4-4-0-5 is a bit high (but its an uncommon pattern).

Our 2C opening does not contain 5-5 hands, so this hand type could be removed from the two-suiter scheme. One option could then be to swap that bid with 4-4-0-5, and perhaps show the strongest major first with that pattern.

#7 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-20, 01:14

View Poststraube, on 2016-September-20, 00:02, said:

2C-2D

2H-4H or max 4S
.....2S-ask
..........2N-min, 4H
...............P-misfit
...............3C-to play
...............3D-GF ask
..........3C-max, 4S
..........etc-max, 4H
2S-min 6C
.....2N-ask
.....3C-to play
2N-min, 4S
.....P-misfit
.....3C-to play
.....3D-GF ask
3C-max, 6C, bal
3D-max, 6C, higher
3H-max, 6C, middle
etc

I've left out 4405. It could fit in somewhere at the cost of symmetry.

This seems to be too high with two-suiters resolved at 3H+ without knowing the (potential) shortness.

#8 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-20, 07:05

View PostKungsgeten, on 2016-September-20, 01:14, said:

This seems to be too high with two-suiters resolved at 3H+ without knowing the (potential) shortness.

You'll know min/max and high/no/low shortness but not full pattern. Since your 2C promises only 5 clubs, I don't see how you can choose a structure that doesn't allow you to bail in 2N with a misfit.

View Postawm, on 2016-September-19, 09:20, said:

One problem with this type of method is that you probably won't be able to play 2NT after a declined invite. This is not such a big deal when the opening promises 6+, but can be costly opposite the 4-5 hands.

#9 User is offline   DinDIP 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-03, 01:13

There is a way for responder to offer either 2N or 3 as final contracts when he is minimum and opener is potentially minimum and has only 5C and a 4M. This assumes you are playing a traditional response structure where 2M just shows four cards in that major. It does come with a price that you may judge not to be worth paying.

After
2 - 2 relay
Responder can use 2 as the relay at relatively little cost. (Alternatives are to play it as NAT, INV and NF -- aiming at a small target; or as NAT and GF, which is of marginal utility to a pair with a good relay method.)

This allows 2N to be NF, catering for INV hands with 4S and not 4H, and C shortness

INV hands with 4H that don't want to risk a possible 5-1 (or 5-0!) C fit respond a direct 2N to 2.

There are two obvious costs. One is that 2N can no longer be used for some other purpose. The other is that INV hands without 4M and with short C (so 3-3-5-2 or 3-3-6-1) also need to be included in one of the sequences; I'd opt for including them in the 2D sequences. That has some risk of getting overboard when opener is 4-4-0-5 minimum.

While the idea of such a narrowly defined INV response will not appeal to many, I'd note that playing 2N (either directly or delayed) as promising shortness in clubs is a significant asset in helping opener to make a sensible choice about whether or not to accept the INV. (See Jeff Rubens' article TSAR in the esoterica section of The Bridge World website.)

David

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users