• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What am I supposed to bid here?

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-18, 02:39

I suppose, the day after one's had a run of appallingly bad results, one is inclined to 'blame partner', 'blame opponents', 'blame the weather', 'blame a sleepless night' ..... anything in fact rather than admit to oneself that one's 'losing it'....

Oh well.

I honestly believed that, playing standard Acol, I can find the right bid more than half the time at the very least. But this sequence utterly stumped me. All playing weak two's:

Show one of my minors at the 4-level? 3NT with no spade guard (and lead coming through my partner)? WTF????
I passed, and, needless to say, the result was a mere -12 imps....

I think I'm in the wrong game.... :(

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-18, 03:38

You should not pass.
Pd has at most 2 which makes them have at least 9 if not 10 card fit.

I'd bid 4 and not get too excited. Am I happy with it? No But I don't think there is any bid that I would be happy with this hand and auction.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-September-18, 03:42

There appears to be 17-18 total trumps, so I think pass was the right LoTT decision.

#4 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-September-18, 05:51

View PostMrAce, on 2016-September-18, 03:38, said:

You should not pass.
Pd has at most 2 which makes them have at least 9 if not 10 card fit.

I'd bid 4 and not get too excited. Am I happy with it? No But I don't think there is any bid that I would be happy with this hand and auction.

And I can think of plenty of worse hands than this where you have to squeeze a bid out of 'used tram tickets'. As MrAce says, don't pass, and I say don't complicate things by imagining that you may be missing game, bid 4. Keep it simple.

It's better to have any plus score than a minus score. Doubling opponents' part scores into games is one of the worse things, in my opinion, you can do at the bridge table.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-September-18, 06:37

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-September-18, 02:39, said:

I passed, and, needless to say, the result was a mere -12 imps....

It may be inappropriate to imply a causal link between the IMP loss and the decision to pass.

Having looked up the hand I am unconvinced that your partner's double is gold plated, but that aside the contract should have been defeated (on any opening lead).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-18, 06:57

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-September-18, 06:37, said:

Having looked up the hand I am unconvinced that your partner's double is gold plated, but that aside the contract should have been defeated (on any opening lead).
Possibly; this hand came in the middle of a run of dire results (which ended in an explosion, but I won't go into that! :blink: ) - and I wasn't feeling too chirpy. Furthermore, defence is far from being my strong side.

Anyway thanks for the tips guys. I'm relieved that no-one's suggested 3NT - which is what my then partner said, after the hand, that they were asking for. So it's not 100% my fault after all.... ;)

#7 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-September-18, 07:10

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-September-18, 02:39, said:

I suppose, the day after one's had a run of appallingly bad results, one is inclined to 'blame partner', 'blame opponents', 'blame the weather', 'blame a sleepless night' ..... anything in fact rather than admit to oneself that one's 'losing it'....

Oh well.

I think I'm in the wrong game.... :(

Very British and stoic of you to post the worse board of the session here. That session was a humongous disaster, in my opinion.

I remember a long time ago having an evening session of 4 matches at a tournament and losing 20-0, 20-0, 18-2, 19-1. And our team had a long drive home too. Total silence in the car on the journey home. It happens...

But there's always another day :)

#8 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-18, 07:19

View PostThe_Badger, on 2016-September-18, 07:10, said:

But there's always another day :)
"Another day" indeed! I'm half minded to give it another 30 days, just so as to ensure that yesterday drops off the "Hand Records" monthly average (just in case people are in the habit of checking me out).... But I'll probably be back somewhat before then - that's how addictive bridge is! At least opponents are going to love me.... ;)

#9 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-September-18, 23:58

Four Hearts.Partner has promised hearts.

#10 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-19, 01:22

Hi,

playing MP MP, Pass is certainly a good choice, it is most likely even be percentage.
playing IMP it is closer, ..., you have the majority, but they are in a 9 or even 10
card fit, so take your pick, I would not fault Pass.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#11 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-19, 07:04

Some decisions are difficult. I am convinced that the opponents do this on purpose Posted Image

That said, partner has found a takeout double at the 3 level, and I am looking at perfectly good 10 count with a near triple fit. I see no cause for panic. Is there some reason we can't have game here? I would bid 4 with much less, but at least it seems like a safe plus. Pass could also be right, we should beat 3 if partner has his bid. Yes, it is difficult, but bearing in mind that partner has forced me to the 4 level when I could have a substantially worse hand, I will try 4NT pick-a-minor. Maybe I am too optimistic, but I would rather overbid than underbid.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-September-19, 07:29

I think passers deserve to find pd with a hand that was too strong to start overcall. Something like

A
KQxx
AK
Axxxxx

or

A
KQxx
AKxxxx
Ax
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-19, 08:17

View Postbillw55, on 2016-September-19, 07:04, said:

Some decisions are difficult. I am convinced that the opponents do this on purpose Posted Image

That said, partner has found a takeout double at the 3 level, and I am looking at perfectly good 10 count with a near triple fit. I see no cause for panic. Is there some reason we can't have game here? I would bid 4 with much less, but at least it seems like a safe plus. Pass could also be right, we should beat 3 if partner has his bid. Yes, it is difficult, but bearing in mind that partner has forced me to the 4 level when I could have a substantially worse hand, I will try 4NT pick-a-minor. Maybe I am too optimistic, but I would rather overbid than underbid.

I go along with this. I think it was Terrence Reece who said that it is usually worth going one level higher in order to ensure you are in the right strain.

Having said that, I wouldn't criticise anyone who chose to pass. It could easily be the winning option. However as someone else said, we would probably all do better if we took out partner's take out doubles and left in his penalty doubles.

#14 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-September-19, 08:54

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-September-18, 23:58, said:

Four Hearts.Partner has promised hearts.

I have such happy memories from a couple weeks ago of playing in a 3-3 fit after bidding 4H with a similar hand.

#15 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-19, 10:02

As to the play - well this was the full deal (rotated to match actual positions):

I led a trump to partner's Ace. If he'd returned another trump, we could have come to three club tricks before declarer can set up hearts, so contract goes down. But can you blame him for returning a heart, or me for not ducking the Ace? 3x made. OK we didn't find the right defence, but my point is, I was given an impossibly difficult position during bidding. The wide variety of suggestions given on this thread, testifies to this. As Neilkaz says, a 3-3 fit in 4 would have been - ahem - interesting :D .

#16 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-19, 12:31

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-September-19, 10:02, said:

I led a trump to partner's Ace. If he'd returned another trump, we could have come to three club tricks before declarer can set up hearts, so contract goes down. But can you blame him for returning a heart, or me for not ducking the Ace? 3x made. OK we didn't find the right defence, but my point is, I was given an impossibly difficult position during bidding. The wide variety of suggestions given on this thread, testifies to this. As Neilkaz says, a 3-3 fit in 4 would have been - ahem - interesting :D .

IMO east doesn't have his bid.
-gwnn

#17 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-September-19, 12:56

East should be shot for not returning another trump!

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-September-19, 14:06

View Postbillw55, on 2016-September-19, 12:31, said:

IMO east doesn't have his bid.

Yes.
He should bid 3 NT if he wants to take any action and make 3 NT on lead.

#19 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-19, 15:00

View PostMrAce, on 2016-September-19, 14:06, said:

Yes.
He should bid 3 NT if he wants to take any action and make 3 NT on lead.

As it happens yes, but I think east should pass. West need not have so much, nor the magic T.
-gwnn

#20 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-19, 15:19

This is a very difficult problem, to be sure, but the one call I would not make is Pass, converting partner's takeout Double to penalties.

If the opponents have a 9 card fit - a situational hypothesis strongly supported by the opponent's bidding AND your partner's TAKEOUT Double - you are 100% certain that your side has an 8 card fit. What's more, with a minimum of 17 total trumps (their 9 and your minimum of 8), the Law of Total Tricks "promises" you that if you can beat 3S two tricks or more, your side can take 10 or more tricks. If they have 10 spades between them and you can beat 3S, you almost surely can make game.

So the question is what to bid. Surely bidding 3NT is unreasonable, so you must consider 4C, 4D, or 4H. They are all underbids, but you don't have enough to do more and besides, bidding 5C or 5D is a mastermind bid.

Personally, I feel confident that partner has at least 4 hearts and I would bid 4H. I have a doubleton spade, so my hand can prevent a forcing defense on the long heart hand. And, if I am going to contract for 10 tricks, it might as well be a game.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users