• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Punt.... what exactly?

#21 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-16, 00:24

View PostMrAce, on 2016-September-15, 21:27, said:

Yea but why is the British club standard (or even an ACBL/Turkish/Greek etc club standard) is our focus on debating a hand in an international Bridge site?

We should stress the importance of starting with a semi solid 6 card major suit, especially when we have a side 5 card suit and we really do not want to lose any space in the process. It is so bad to start 2 even if we assume that this will be a friendly auction and LHO will not bid something over 2. Or we may see the next turn at very high level.

It's not in the expert forums, and a lot of I/A play this sort of thing here too

#22 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-16, 02:45

View PostMrAce, on 2016-September-14, 11:50, said:

Here is an old idea.

2--2--3 (spade is confirmed - solid suit and no need to look for another trump)

Then responder bids;

3NT=I have no ace but I have K or Kings
4//=Ace with their names
4=I have no ace no king
4NT=Ihave 2 aces of same color
5=2 Aces of same rank
5=I have 2 mixed aces (h+cl or spade+dia)

Over 4 opener bids 4 NT (obviously not asking aces or kings) and from there you go on to show your 3rd round controls starting from cheapest. (some play this asking for jacks)
Over 4 if opener bids a suit at 5 level, he is asking 3rd round on this specific suit.

Using this tool, you could bid 5 over 4 and can actually stay at 5 if your hand was

AKQJT9
AK
AKxx
x

This sounds like a great tool. I'm going to incorporate it into my bidding system... Thank you!

#23 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2016-September-16, 19:15

Well, partner did have 3rd round control of diamonds. Unfortunately he only had a stiff J of spades, so a trump lead beats 6S. 7S or 7NT has no play at all.

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-16, 21:03

View Postmr1303, on 2016-September-16, 19:15, said:

Well, partner did have 3rd round control of diamonds. Unfortunately he only had a stiff J of spades, so a trump lead beats 6S. 7S or 7NT has no play at all.

Doubleton is not 3rd round control without trumps. Your pd should know like everyone else, grands get a trump lead. 6 is normal. You say weldone to opponents if they lead and move on.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2016-September-16, 22:43

Sadly to say this was all a bit hypothetical. Partner bid a very robotic 4C over 3S naturally, on his amazing hand(!)

We got to 7S.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users