Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Talking Pts. X?

#1 User is offline   bridgepali 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-12, 10:57

B-)] I find conventions to be a masterful way to identify hands that do or don't mesh. Convention authors went to great lengths to interface playable options. Yet I find conventions to be a slippery slope due to player reluctance to bid a convention as authored.

The next series of Talking Pts. is dedicated to convention authors. I will attempt to enlighten the reader on the most commonly used Fit Finding, Slam Seeking, Two Suit Fit Finding conventions.

B-)

Watch for Talking Pts. X??.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-12, 11:40

If the instead of "attempting to enlighten the reader" you said that you wanted to explore some conventions and hear about people's opinions on how and when to use them, and how they can be played more effectively, you would get a much more positive response.

A lot of people come onto these forums with the idea that they can teach the forums to play bridge. Usually they don't last long. This doesn't have to happen to you - there is a lot to learn if you would ask questions and solicit guidance, for example in the earlier threads where your methods were clearly wanting.

A word of advice -- many avoid the Talking Pts. threads because they have come to expect nonsense. If you decide you want to listen and learn, don't use those thread titles.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-13, 02:59

I must admit, I'm intrigued why the Roman numeral "I" in your thread titles is always replaced with a question mark.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-September-13, 03:47

hi bridgepali,

I agree entirely with Vampyr's reply.

Without sounding patronising, I believe you are trying to work out for yourself what makes this game tick. That's not a bad thing, but people have been trying to understand this game for over 80 years, and there have been numerous books - many by renowned experts - written about it too.

With just 33 logins in 11 months, maybe the way forward is to buy a few modern bridge books and play a bit more bridge on here yourself. That's the easiest way to learn the game, by experiencing it and reading about it.

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-13, 06:07

Personally I advocate removal of all bridgepali's "talking points" threads. The content ranges from dubious to absurd, the author never replies, and we are now up to 11 of them. IMO this qualifies as spam and should be deleted as such.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-September-13, 18:47

View Postbillw55, on 2016-September-13, 06:07, said:

Personally I advocate removal of all bridgepali's "talking points" threads. The content ranges from dubious to absurd, the author never replies, and we are now up to 11 of them. IMO this qualifies as spam and should be deleted as such.

I agree that it is time for these talking points threads to end. Better yet would be to delete them all.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-19, 16:40

View Postneilkaz, on 2016-September-13, 18:47, said:

I agree that it is time for these talking points threads to end. Better yet would be to delete them all.

I am not sure it is time yet to discourage the poster of these threads. I think that there is hope that he will learn to participate in a more fruitful way. Even now maybe he is lurking and learning.

I don't think that his English is very good and he is using a dictionary or a translating engine -- "requisite trump footprint", "consummated ruffs" etc, but many seem to overcome this.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users