BBO Discussion Forums: Forums people in the event formally known as the Olympiad - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forums people in the event formally known as the Olympiad

#1 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-11, 15:19

Big congrats to forums people Frances Hinden and Gonzalo Goded (Fluffy) for making it to (at least!) the quarter-finals for the World Championships - keep up the good work!

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-September-11, 17:14

View Postfred, on 2016-September-11, 15:19, said:

Big congrats to forums people Frances Hinden and Gonzalo Goded (Fluffy) for making it to (at least!) the quarter-finals for the World Championships - keep up the good work!

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

I echo the congratulations.

Anyone know why the term Olympiad was deprecated?
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-11, 20:32

View Postfred, on 2016-September-11, 15:19, said:

Not sure how many here will be rooting for Fluffy after the ugly Spain-USA incident :angry: :(

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-September-11, 17:14, said:

Surely must be part of the efforts to please the IOC?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-11, 22:12

View Postcherdano, on 2016-September-11, 20:32, said:

Not sure how many here will be rooting for Fluffy after the ugly Spain-USA incident :angry: :(

Given that the only information I've seen published so far is from the USA team captain, it might be a bit early to make a clear assessment of what really happened.

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-September-11, 22:29

View Postsfi, on 2016-September-11, 22:12, said:

Given that the only information I've seen published so far is from the USA team captain, it might be a bit early to make a clear assessment of what really happened.

I am sure you are right that you have not seen anything other than the post by the USA captain, but others may have read http://wbchampbullet...-match-delayed/
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-12, 00:00

View Postcherdano, on 2016-September-11, 22:29, said:

I am sure you are right that you have not seen anything other than the post by the USA captain, but others may have read http://wbchampbullet...-match-delayed/

This seems to merely restate the original post, so I'm not sure what it's meant to add to a situation that is likely to see further developments in the near future.

#7 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-September-12, 00:25

Well done Fluffy and Frances Hinden!

But on a more sober note, all these accusations are just tarnishing the bridge world further. I am glad that Boye Brogeland highlighted the cheating partnerships in the game, but the bridge world needs to draw a line under the recent Bermuda Bowl.

I think bridge players who play on the international circuit know now that any indiscretion will be taken seriously by the laws and ethics committee, and a lifetime ban from the game should be obligatory if they are found guilty. I also think if it involves an international team event, that team should also have a five year ban too from playing internationally.

Yes, that might seem harsh but it is the only way probably to get the message across that cheats aren't welcome in our game. If you play as a team with cheats, even if your partnership is clean, you are by association cheating too. Period.

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-12, 06:31

Interesting. The allegation is very specific and lends itself to fairly simple observation (and counterexample in particular). But beyond that, was Spain seeking some compensation? Was there a particular board(s) where they thought that they had been damaged by failure to disclose?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-September-12, 07:31

View Postsfi, on 2016-September-12, 00:00, said:

This seems to merely restate the original post, so I'm not sure what it's meant to add to a situation that is likely to see further developments in the near future.

Ok if you can't read, I won't bother linking to additional information in the future.

#10 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-12, 12:10

View Postcherdano, on 2016-September-12, 07:31, said:

Ok if you can't read, I won't bother linking to additional information in the future.

You do what you like, but since you posted the link that has the same points as Kriegel's first post on the topic (both of which were edited to add the same information), substantively different versions of what happened have been provided in both the WBF bulletin and on here by one of the Spanish team members. If you are satisfied the agreed facts are publically available and uncontroversial, then good for you.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-12, 12:16

I am very pissed too, Arend, by this incident and how WBF, Spain and even USA team handled it. And I told this to Gonzalo and he showed the courtesy to explain me and he is not very happy about this incident either.

I even wrote to Oren Kriegel, NPC of USA team a personal message in BW. Told him that this is when a captain has big role. And wrote him to do anything he can to clear the minds of players from whatever is going on and focus on 6th segment or we are about to lose this match. That is how much I was emotionally involved and wanted Justin and USA team to win. It did not happen and I am very sad. I wrote how sad I am for Justin losing in Turkish forums and private bridge groups and that it was not fair.

But at the end of the day, I do not think Gonzalo made anything that would make me cheer against him in the remaining stages of the event. He is our friend and contributed here in BBF as much as he can and still does. I will cheer for him. They have the momentum. Incident or not, they played head to head against best 4 pros of America. Not sure if the would win if there were no incident. They might as well win. But one thing for sure that they have the momentum and their opponents (New Zealand) is not a very strong team. He has a great opportunity to win this event and yes, I will cheer for him. I think we all should.

I am also upset that England lost, because David is my friend and because of Frances who I believe deserved to win this event. (I did not check boards how they did vs Netherlands due to Spain-USA conflict)

EDIT: For some reason I thought England match was over, SFI corrected me about this.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-12, 12:34

View PostMrAce, on 2016-September-12, 12:16, said:

But one thing for sure that they have the momentum and their opponents (New Zealand) is not a very strong team. He has a great opportunity to win this event and yes, I will cheer for him. I think we all should.

Sorry, we're cheering for New Zealand down here. Not because of anything that happened in previous matches, but because the NZ team play in Australia a lot and I know those players better.

I am also upset that England lost, because David is my friend and because of Frances who I believe deserved to win this event. (I did not check boards how they did vs Netherlands due to Spain-USA conflict)

England-Netherlands is only halfway done - don't write the English off yet!

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-September-12, 13:59

View Postsfi, on 2016-September-12, 12:34, said:

England-Netherlands is only halfway done - don't write the English off yet!

Oh my, you are right! When I looked at the live scores for some reason I thought it was over. My bad.

And of course you have the natural reasons to cheer for NZ. I meant as a BBF er, I cheer for Gonzalo, not that I have anything against NZ.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-12, 14:53

Team Spain seems to be today a step away from entering SFs of the WC, first time ever?

What can I say..... Go Gonzo Go! :)
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#15 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-September-12, 18:18

....proving once again that BBO Forums are the epicenter of the bridge world.

Timo told me about the incident Sunday. Very surreal that two of my friends are involved on different sides in a situation like this. Maybe Gonzalo wasn't the instigator but he's part of the team and it saddens me. I still think there was a lot of gamesmanship involved here.

Still, I'm rooting for Spain to make a deep run.

And we all know Frances has loads of raw talent and she has a well-oiled partnership.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-September-13, 06:26

England closed the gap!

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-September-13, 08:06

5th segment turned out to be a disaster for England.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-September-13, 08:26

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-September-11, 17:14, said:

When bridge (and other mind games) lost its bid to become part of the Olympics, I think WBF decided to stop using this name.

Maybe the IOC also pressured them based on trademark issues.

#19 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-13, 08:31

View Postbarmar, on 2016-September-13, 08:26, said:

Maybe the IOCSecret Bridge Olympiad also pressured them based on trademark issues.

FYP
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#20 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2016-September-13, 10:30

Barry, "maybe"? Cute. The ACBL (or AT&T, for that matter) don't have nothing on the IOC in 800 pound elephant territory.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users