• You cannot reply to this topic

Bid this 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-10, 17:51

East is dealer

Do you open 2 or 1?

If you open 2 how should bidding continue?

If you open 1 South will double & how should bidding continue?

N/S is 1-4 in spades and 6-1 in clubs

4 spades will make

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-10, 18:35

expect most of the forum to open 1club.

After that perhaps:

1c=(x)=p?=(??)

You will have to tell us what north bids now?

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-10, 18:56

If they're 5-1 in clubs and so are you, there's only 12 in the deck.

agree with mike777, we need to know what N bids over the X.

#4 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-10, 22:25

If you're going to ask me how I get to 4S, I'm sorry to disappoint you. I get to 2D.

East: 1C
West: 2D (WJS) the odds are against East having four spades and if East doesn't have this monster, responding 1S is probably getting a minus score where as responding 2D at least has a chance of getting a plus.
East: Pass. If partner has 6 diamonds and less than a response, this may very well be our last makeable contract. You might have a better fit, but good luck finding it; if you guess wrong, you might take your plus in 2D and turn it into a minus in a different 6-card fit.

#5 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-11, 06:21

[quote name='Cyberyeti' timestamp='1473555412' post='897424']
If they're 5-1 in clubs and so are you, there's only 12 in the deck.

agree with mike777, we need to know what N bids over the X.

6-1 clubs

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-September-11, 06:39

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-September-10, 22:25, said:

If you're going to ask me how I get to 4S, I'm sorry to disappoint you. I get to 2D.

East: 1C
West: 2D (WJS) the odds are against East having four spades and if East doesn't have this monster, responding 1S is probably getting a minus score where as responding 2D at least has a chance of getting a plus.
East: Pass. If partner has 6 diamonds and less than a response, this may very well be our last makeable contract. You might have a better fit, but good luck finding it; if you guess wrong, you might take your plus in 2D and turn it into a minus in a different 6-card fit.

I think you'll find a fair few people play 1-x-2 as fit rather than the WJS they play over 1-P.

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-11, 07:05

it doesn't matter. making a weak jump ***** with a 4 card major would be pretty bad

edit: lol that was a typo

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-September-11, 13:53

I also think most folks will open it 1 . With both majors, it becomes more problematic finding a 4-4 major fit over 2 . After a double, the auction could go either 1 - (Dbl) - P - (P) - ? or 1 - (Dbl) - P - 1 /1 - ? After the penalty pass by advancer, I think opener probably bids 1 . Over a red suit response by advancer, I think opener may double.

If 1 is passed back to responder, responder passes. If 1 x is passed back to responder, responder may pass. If 1 x is passed back to responder, responder should bid 1 .

I don't see 4 as ever biddable although it happens to make.

If responder chooses to bid 2 as an agreed upon WJS over the double, then opener should pass. Opener's high card should be useful to responder and there's no assurance that there will be a fit in anything else opener will bid.

If opener opens 2 , good luck if you play 2 negative. What's opener's rebid? If opener rebids 3 , does responder sit or take a leap into the unknown with 3 bid?

If opener opens 2 playing 2 waiting, I think the auction goes

2 - 2 (waiting)
3 - 3 (2nd negative whether playing cheapest suit or cheapest minor)
3 - P

#9 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-11, 17:11

View Postrmnka447, on 2016-September-11, 13:53, said:

I also think most folks will open it 1 . With both majors, it becomes more problematic finding a 4-4 major fit over 2 . After a double, the auction could go either 1 - (Dbl) - P - (P) - ? or 1 - (Dbl) - P - 1 /1 - ? After the penalty pass by advancer, I think opener probably bids 1 . Over a red suit response by advancer, I think opener may double.

If 1 is passed back to responder, responder passes. If 1 x is passed back to responder, responder may pass. If 1 x is passed back to responder, responder should bid 1 .

I don't see 4 as ever biddable although it happens to make.

If responder chooses to bid 2 as an agreed upon WJS over the double, then opener should pass. Opener's high card should be useful to responder and there's no assurance that there will be a fit in anything else opener will bid.

If opener opens 2 , good luck if you play 2 negative. What's opener's rebid? If opener rebids 3 , does responder sit or take a leap into the unknown with 3 bid?

If opener opens 2 playing 2 waiting, I think the auction goes

2 - 2 (waiting)
3 - 3 (2nd negative whether playing cheapest suit or cheapest minor)
3 - P

1C here also. But if 2C were opened, I don't see how you are any worse off after a 2H negative response than after 2D waiting. Opener rebids 3C in any case, and responder has the same problem. Important point - after the immediate 2H negative, any new suit by opener is forcing for one round. 3D would be an automatic continuation, followed by 3H, 3S, 4S!

#10 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-September-11, 17:45

So suppose it starts 1NT-(X)-P-(P), as I think it might. I can't say I have ever encountered this. Passing out and playing to make 1C might be tempting. But I suppose I XX. Partner would bid 1D I think, and then I would bid 1H which presumably shows that while I wanted to run I did not want to run to Ds. After this start, if nobody faints from the stress of guessing what is meant, we probably find our spades. I can't say I mind all that much if we do not reach 4S. I will take OP's word for it that it can be made but if the opponents are silent after the initial double then, after XX-1D-1H-1S I suppose it might go 2S-3S-P. I don't see that E can bid 4S on his own, I suspect W will be happy tp pass at his first opportunity, and looking at both hands I am content to be in a part score.

That's the best I can think of, but I am far from sure of it. Feel free to say it is nuts.
Ken

#11 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-September-11, 18:14

I think I would end up in three no-trump played by West amazingly. I don't think I'd be able to help myself responding one no-trump after a double. What else is East to do other than the three no-trump after that?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#12 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-September-11, 18:14

I think I would end up in three no-trump played by West amazingly. I don't think I'd be able to help myself responding one no-trump after a double. What else is East to do other than the three no-trump after that?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#13 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-September-11, 18:37

Playing 1cx is possible.

give north: x...xxx...xxx....J98xxx
give south: Jxxx...AQxx...AKQx...x

North might pull, north might sit.

#14 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-12, 07:50

View Postmike777, on 2016-September-11, 18:37, said:

Playing 1cx is possible.

give north: x...xxx...xxx....J98xxx
give south: Jxxx...AQxx...AKQx...x

North might pull, north might sit.

north : x...Q10x...Axx...J98xxx
south : J98x...Axxx...KQxx...x

#15 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-September-12, 08:35

View Postdickiegera, on 2016-September-12, 07:50, said:

north : x...Q10x...Axx...J98xxx
south : J98x...Axxx...KQxx...x

E has 10 according to the hands given which matters in 1x which is where I may well play

#16 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-September-12, 09:23

I am with Kaitlyn, I bid 2 as West. 2 denies a four-card major? Bad luck because pass denies a 6-card suit. 1 is possible (or maybe 1 if playing Walsh) but I find the hand a tad weak for that.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-12, 10:47

I have no idea how it goes after a 1 opener (which I would do).

After a 2 bid our system calls for an artificial 2 response, 0-4 no A or K and after that a suit bid by opener is forcing. That will lead to the auction from hell.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#18 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-12, 14:49

View Postwank, on 2016-September-11, 07:05, said:

it doesn't matter. making a weak jump ***** with a 4 card major would be pretty bad

edit: lol that was a typo
We would not be the partnership made in heaven then. I'm going to really shock you now.

1C P ? IMPs, both vul

S-76542
H- 10
D- 63
C-J7543

Playing inverted minors where 3C shows a hand not even good enough to make game opposite a balanced 19 count, I would bid 3 clubs unashamedly. If we have a spade fit, then the opponents have a ton of red cards and I want them to start looking at the three level. Players who bid 1S, if they're lucky enough to get past LHO, will likely hear 2NT from partner. Now what? You don't seriously play 3C as signoff here!

#19 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-September-12, 17:27

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-September-12, 14:49, said:

We would not be the partnership made in heaven then. I'm going to really shock you now.

1C P ? IMPs, both vul

S-76542
H- 10
D- 63
C-J7543

Playing inverted minors where 3C shows a hand not even good enough to make game opposite a balanced 19 count, I would bid 3 clubs unashamedly. If we have a spade fit, then the opponents have a ton of red cards and I want them to start looking at the three level. Players who bid 1S, if they're lucky enough to get past LHO, will likely hear 2NT from partner. Now what? You don't seriously play 3C as signoff here!

You're so going to enjoy 3 opposite the AKQJ, AJ9x, QJx, xx partner always holds when I take a position like that.

#20 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-13, 00:19

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-September-12, 17:27, said:

You're so going to enjoy 3 opposite the AKQJ, AJ9x, QJx, xx partner always holds when I take a position like that.

My partners tend not to have two clubs. Of course, if they could, I can't bud 3C.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users