• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claims automatically accepted?

#1 User is offline   olegdolgik 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-September-10, 11:19

Posted Image

Didn't play on BBO for awhile, so may be there is some software's default behavior which i'm not aware of, but looks strange.
Express tournament, as you may see on diagram, EW took 4 tricks and E on lead. Club continuation give fifth trick for defense.
At that moment N makes claim for nine (9) tricks total, which i'm rejecting, after several seconds claim appears again for same amount, and momentarily accepted (no time fore reaction). Would please anybody explain me what is going on? I see this behavior second time, but at first occurrence i thought may be I've clicked wrong button.

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-10, 15:01

Are you sure it was North making the second claim? Often after a rejected claim, one of the defenders will make a counter-claim/concession (sometimes for the same number of tricks, if they think their partner was mistaken in rejecting the claim), which the declarer will accept and requires no input from the other defender. Of course, in this case, it was a mistake, but that's the only way a claim can be accepted without you being involved.

#3 User is offline   olegdolgik 

• Pip

Posted 2016-September-10, 15:23

I wasn't able read what was in popup second time, as it disappeared instantly, it had Yes-No buttons, but i wasn't quick enough to press anything, concession still possible but looked more like smth automatic. Anyway, if nobody seen it before than probably there is nothing to worry about. Thanks!

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-10, 22:56

retracted

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-September-11, 12:13

I think someone reported this once before, but we suspect that they (and you) accidentally pressed Return when the claim popped up, which accepts the claim.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-12, 13:08

View Postbarmar, on 2016-September-11, 12:13, said:

I think someone reported this once before, but we suspect that they (and you) accidentally pressed Return when the claim popped up, which accepts the claim.

That should automatically decline the claim. You should have to do something explicitly accepting a claim for the claim to be accepted.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-September-13, 08:44

Perhaps, but in my experience the vast majority of claims are good ones, so defaulting to accepting is more convenient.

It's typically only a problem if the claim box comes up while you're in the middle of typing a chat. The popup steals your keyboard focus, so when you think you're sending the chat, you actually end up accepting. So you need the 1-2 parlay of a bad claim while you're typing a chat message.

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-16, 11:58

If a positive action is required to accept a claim, the worst thing that can happen is that the claim will have to be reissued. In fact, there is no reason the claim would have to be manually reissued, the claim should be persistent until it is either accepted or rejected. How big a deal is it to have to tap or click an accept button on a claim?

In situations like olegdolgik's, a very bad claim is allowed. Also, although it has been brought up several times in the past, both opponents should have to accept a claim. Getting a gullible opponent to concede a trick(s) that shouldn't be lost shouldn't be possible.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-September-17, 15:12

View Postjohnu, on 2016-September-16, 11:58, said:

Also, although it has been brought up several times in the past, both opponents should have to accept a claim. Getting a gullible opponent to concede a trick(s) that shouldn't be lost shouldn't be possible.

That is how it works.

For a declarer claim, both defenders have to accept. For a defender claim, declarer has to accept.

In either case, if they decline, the non-claiming side gets to play the rest of the hand double dummy. This is patterned after the rule for claiming in rubber bridge, since there's no TD in the main bridge club.

#10 User is offline   olegdolgik 

• Pip

Posted 2016-October-10, 12:53

I guess I'm just unlucky with claims, don't see the point to create new topic, so I'll add here:

Another express tournament, but this time "TCR 90", no diagram, you'll see why. First deal, RHO - robot, at the end I'm claiming
with smth like three top trumps. Left opp thinking and when I've been about cancel the claim: "You are not playing in this tournament anymore" or smth like that. Nice. It will correct my TCR for sure. Similar to THIS, except there was no "You'll be disconnected", so they probably already improve it. ;)

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-October-10, 14:38

View Postolegdolgik, on 2016-September-10, 11:19, said:

EW took 4 tricks and E on lead. Club continuation give fifth trick for defense.
At that moment N makes claim for nine (9) tricks total, which i'm rejecting,

Sorry, I just don't get this. Claim appears to be good. South ruffs East's Club continuation. He does not even have to ruff high, since West has to follow. But heck he can afford to ruff high anyway. Then low Spade to Jack, and then South has nothing but high trumps.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#12 User is offline   olegdolgik 

• Pip

Posted 2016-October-10, 16:19

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-October-10, 14:38, said:

South ruffs East's Club continuation.

Yes, he would, but unfortunately we can't change trump once bidding ended. ;)
There are no any hearts (which is trump) in South.

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-October-10, 21:35

Oh haha i felt i must be missing something obvious but no amount of staring helped.Put it down to phone screen issues :)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users