• You cannot reply to this topic

Spot the wimp (2)

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-07, 16:47

IMPs

System is weak NT, 5cM, 1C = 1+ (NAT, 4441 or 15-19 BAL). 2D is 4SF for one round, and 3C is the default rebid basically showing up to about 16 points with no 5th spade, no 3rd heart, no diamond stop.

3NT made +1, but 6C is cold - can it be bid?

ahydra

#2 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2016-September-07, 17:39

3C doesn't show a 6th club or a good club suit? Then no. You need 3C to show good clubs to make East go past 3NT.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-07, 18:23

In these situations I pretty strongly feel that 2 should be the default rebid instead of 3. It saves a lot of room, and gives responder the usage of 2nt and 3 bids. 5-6 hands are really rare and you can bid 3 over 2 or 2 then 3.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-07, 18:27

View Postahydra, on 2016-September-07, 16:47, said:

IMPs

3NT made +1, but 6C is cold - can it be bid?

ahydra

Yes definitely.

I do not like 3 NT by E at all. Not because of missing the slam but he deserved to find West with something like.

AKxx
Jx
x
KTxxxx

Going down in 3 NT when 6 is cold.

AKxx
Qx
xx
KT9xx

Or in another hand going down in 3 NT when 5 is cold. It being IMP voids the excuse for bidding 3 NT.

AKxx
Jx
xx
KTxxx
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-September-07, 21:17

Once 3 NT is bid, it's virtually impossible to get to the slam. Even without the 3 NT bid, I'm not sure there is an easy route to 6 as virtually every card in both hands is carrying its weight and then some. From the 50,000 ft. level it's easy to see the slam is there, but maybe not so easy to figure out at the table.

But the objective at IMPs is to find the best game not necessarily the highest scoring game.

With opener showing 9+ black cards, have to be concern at NT. As MrAce points out, there are hands where 3 NT doesn't make but 5 and 6 do.

Not being familiar with your methods, I'm thinking maybe 3 here instead of 3 NT asks for help for NT which should get you to look for the game.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-07, 23:25

bidding minor suit slams can be difficult.

Playing 2d as not 100% gf makes it even more difficult.

with all of that said I think this is a very tough 6c to bid and expect most of us to miss it.

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-08, 01:58

3nt was just a bad bid.

But as others have said, unless you have a fetish for pissing away space, 3c should show 6.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-08, 02:37

What exactly does 3 show? I believe 4225 should open 1NT if in range which means that 3 almost guarantees six clubs. If you need a default rebid for 4225 15-counts and 4135 hands that don't have a diamond stopper then make it 2 or 2. 3 takes away a lot of space.

I have some sympathy for 3NT. It is a flaw in the system that E can't make a forcing club raise without bypassing 3NT. I prefer to raise clubs immediately with the East hand but obviously this is not standard.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-September-08, 05:00

[duplicated]

#10 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-September-08, 05:10

View Postmike777, on 2016-September-07, 23:25, said:

bidding minor suit slams can be difficult.

Playing 2d as not 100% gf makes it even more difficult.

with all of that said I think this is a very tough 6c to bid and expect most of us to miss it.

hi mike777

I would expect most accomplished Precision Club players would find 6 on this hand, as long as they haven't hijacked the opening 2 bid for something else.

When default bids are introduced into a system that take away natural bids this sort of thing is bound to occur. And I agree with a few others on here - not knowing the system myself - but 3NT looks like a bad, unimaginative or lazy bid, but there again the system may have run out of space to relay further. Time to fine tune the system, methinks.

#11 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-08, 06:52

It's not difficult after the 1(4+)-2(inv+ not denying 4M) start we'd have

Whether 2/3 should be your default bid over 2 would depend on whether you ever have 5 spades here or open 1 with 5 or 6 clubs.

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-08, 07:28

At imps 3nt is particularly bad. 3 - 3 - 4 at least gives west a chance to bid slam or as others have pointed out get to a making game when 3nt doesn't fetch.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#13 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-08, 08:27

View PostMrAce, on 2016-September-07, 18:27, said:

Yes definitely.

I do not like 3 NT by E at all. Not because of missing the slam but he deserved to find West with something like.

AKxx
Jx
x
KTxxxx

Going down in 3 NT when 6 is cold.

AKxx
Qx
xx
KT9xx

Or in another hand going down in 3 NT when 5 is cold. It being IMP voids the excuse for bidding 3 NT.

AKxx
Jx
xx
KTxxx

Also KQxx xx xx AKxxx. (Yup they may find a diamond lead even from 3 small on this auction.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#14 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-09, 02:19

Thanks all for the replies. I was East - and didn't think much of bidding 3NT with more than enough points and a diamond stop, though the example hands people posted above do make a good point that 9 tricks are by no means a lock. I like rmnka447's suggestion of bidding 3D to ask for a bit more help and then over the expected 4C, bidding 5C. The slam still seems some way off though because I can never be sure partner has a 6th club. The system could use improvement for sure, but partner seems reluctant to embrace the modern 4SF to game methods, I think because he mainly plays pairs where you want to be able to stop in 2NT when it's right.

ahydra

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users