BBO Discussion Forums: Are you sure you're not making a revoke, partner? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are you sure you're not making a revoke, partner?

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2016-September-07, 13:08

As we are about to turn the trick over, a defender asks his/her partner if he doesn't have a card in the suit led. 'No' comes the answer. The defender asks again and receives the same answer and then tells his/her partner to look again, and the defender finally finds a cad in the suit that was led.

Is this too much asking or is it legal?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-07, 14:08

View PostHanoi5, on 2016-September-07, 13:08, said:

As we are about to turn the trick over, a defender asks his/her partner if he doesn't have a card in the suit led. 'No' comes the answer. The defender asks again and receives the same answer and then tells his/her partner to look again, and the defender finally finds a cad in the suit that was led.

Is this too much asking or is it legal?

I don't know how I would rule if the partner really was void, but here as it turned out that the defender by repeatedly asking had indeed prevented a revoke I think his questions must be considered legal.

The player is certainly on more solid ground if he can show inference from auction and play so far that partner cannot possibly be void.

I think Law 74A2 might be the most relevant law here.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-07, 14:26

Perhaps Law 74B1 is more relevant. After all, if revoker had to look three times to discover he had revoked, he's clearly playing insufficient attention to his hand, if not to the game.

A PP under this law (or any law), btw, is not issued against anyone, and in particular not against (or to) any particular player (unless the event is an individual). PPs are issued against contestants, and the contestant is, in a pairs contest the pair, and in a teams contest, the team.

I suppose 74C1 might also be germane, if we consider a revoke to be "a significant occurrence", but given that there seems to be no legal restriction on repeated questions about a possible revoke, this is perhaps too much of a stretch.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-September-07, 14:30

While anything is possible, it seems extremely likely that the player's repeated questions will strongly suggest something about his hand that makes him think that partner is not void in the suit. So there's very likely to be UI implications about the questioner's shape, and his partner should be very careful not to take advantage of it.

#5 User is offline   peterb001 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-07, 14:44

As long as the appropriate Regulating Authority (Chile?) allows the initial question (Law 61B3) then I don't see a problem with the repeated asking.

And since partner denies it twice before finally finding a card of the suit that was led, it looks like the questioner is aware of partner's inability to follow suit correctly all the time (and to find relevant cards in their hand!!). Most players would find a card of the suit led at the first time of asking, so this suggests that this is not a game of the highest standard.

The only thing that could be a problem would be if the questioner adopted a discourteous attitude in asking these questions (Law 74A).

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-07, 15:01

View Postbarmar, on 2016-September-07, 14:30, said:

While anything is possible, it seems extremely likely that the player's repeated questions will strongly suggest something about his hand that makes him think that partner is not void in the suit. So there's very likely to be UI implications about the questioner's shape, and his partner should be very careful not to take advantage of it.

Yes, and the TD should be sure to notify the revoker that he has this obligation.

View Postpeterb001, on 2016-September-07, 14:44, said:

As long as the appropriate Regulating Authority (Chile?) allows the initial question (Law 61B3) then I don't see a problem with the repeated asking.

Good point!

And since partner denies it twice before finally finding a card of the suit that was led, it looks like the questioner is aware of partner's inability to follow suit correctly all the time (and to find relevant cards in their hand!!). Most players would find a card of the suit led at the first time of asking, so this suggests that this is not a game of the highest standard.

I don't think that makes any difference in law, though I recognize that many think it should make a difference in practice.

The only thing that could be a problem would be if the questioner adopted a discourteous attitude in asking these questions (Law 74A).

The only thing? I think that's an overbid. :D
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-September-08, 08:15

Does he regularly ask 3 times? If this is normal, then I agree that there's no problem. But if this was a unique occurrence, then UI seems likely.

If he regularly asks repeatedly, how many tries should it take before he's satisfied that partner has correctly looked at his hand?

#8 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-08, 11:21

I should think that a problem that arises in such a situation is that certain inferences about the asker's holding approach being reliable; which, in turn imply inferences about what asker believes about the opponents' holding. This is L73B1 territory. I think that permitting the partner to ask is bad.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-September-09, 09:48

View Postaxman, on 2016-September-08, 11:21, said:

I should think that a problem that arises in such a situation is that certain inferences about the asker's holding approach being reliable; which, in turn imply inferences about what asker believes about the opponents' holding. This is L73B1 territory. I think that permitting the partner to ask is bad.

Many people who use this option ask habitually, so there's no inferences. That's my problem with this particular incident -- asking 3 times doesn't sound like normal behavior, so it suggests something about asker's hand.

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-09, 14:01

This is hilarious.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-09, 14:04

View PostVampyr, on 2016-September-09, 14:01, said:

This is hilarious.

It is wonderful. I wonder how people would react if CC had to ask three times in the thread "The Rabbit Revokes" before RR saw that the king of clubs had been led and not the king of spades.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users