Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Talking Pts. X

#1 User is offline   bridgepali 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-05, 11:48

B-) I find under no-trump play there are card formations that have a high percentage of having three add-on pts. (The number to take a trick.).

- A five card strain headed by a face card when in responder's hand.

- A six card strain headed by a spot card below nine when in responder's hand.

- Four honors, unless part of a five card strain in responder's hand.

- A strain with two of the top three honors, it's jack, ten or both, plus one or two spot cards.

- An ace/king/queen sequence when having spot cards above the value of seven.

B-)

Watch for Talking Pts. X?

#2 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-06, 13:28

You have some example deals to illustrate these ideas?

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-06, 18:03

C'mon, give the guy credit. At least this time he resisted the urge to include an example hand unrelated to the point (where discernable)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-07, 03:59

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-September-06, 18:03, said:

C'mon, give the guy credit. At least this time he resisted the urge to include an example hand unrelated to the point (where discernable)

Don't quite get it though. Is he saying that honours take tricks and also long cards? This is good to know.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-07, 09:16

I'm confused as to whether the points in the OP are meant to be good points in a hand, or bad points.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   bridgepali 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-07, 10:11

B-) Good morning Stephan O:

Thank you for the respectful reply.

Watch for 3NT contracts that have been made with less than 24 hcpts. with no misplays. Then peruse the partnership's hands to determine where the 3 pts. needed to make the contract (26-28 hcpts.) came from. Likely you will find one of the card formations in the post. If not, you will have found another card formation. There is no such thing as a point count free trick.

:rolleyes:

#7 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-07, 14:58

Hi pali,

It's just a bit hard to discern exactly what you mean. Take for example:

- A six card strain headed by a spot card below nine when in responder's hand.

How can it be essential it is headed by "spot card below nine"? I.e. 8xxxxx or worse.

What if it is headed, for example, by a Ten? Wouldn't that be stronger?

This makes me uncertain I have understood your rules as you intended them?
Examples would still be good to illustrate, I believe.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-September-09, 05:30

View Postbridgepali, on 2016-September-07, 10:11, said:

B-) Good morning Stephan O:

Thank you for the respectful reply.

Watch for 3NT contracts that have been made with less than 24 hcpts. with no misplays. Then peruse the partnership's hands to determine where the 3 pts. needed to make the contract (26-28 hcpts.) came from. Likely you will find one of the card formations in the post. If not, you will have found another card formation. There is no such thing as a point count free trick.

:rolleyes:

Well... I don't think that your approach of adding points to hands is very fruitful. Point-light 3NT contracts do often make because there is a source of tricks, but this will depend on degree of fit, entries etc. One hand simply adding (3!) points for one of your above features is far too simplistic. Of course you may upgrade or downgrade your hand during the auction.

Go back over your other threads, and look at the example hands where the players add points for dubious "features" and the pair always land in a contract that hasn't a prayer.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   bridgepali 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-11, 11:09

[size="2"] B-) Good Day Stefan O:

The card formations presented in the post produce ntw's. (Refer to Talking Pts. V?? for definition of the abbreviation.).

With regard to a six card strain headed by a spot card below the value of nine in responder's hand. Having those six cards in one hand places the high cards of the strain, ace through ten, in the other three hands. Depending on their distribution, the high cards will neutralize themselves before the six card strain is depleted leaving a ntw (three add-on points) or two depending upon the opponent's split of the strain.

My post are for sharing where I find hidden points. All too often partnership's have hidden points that would have led to a game or slam if only their presence were known. How players use the knowledge is up to them.

With regard to examples. I believe they have been adequately provided on a need basis. Any lack of transparency is a shortcoming on my part. This is not rocket science we are dealing with.

:D

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-September-11, 19:11

View Postbridgepali, on 2016-September-11, 11:09, said:

My post are for sharing where I find hidden points. All too often partnership's have hidden points that would have led to a game or slam if only their presence were known. How players use the knowledge is up to them.

But in your previous threads the "hidden points" have led to no-play contracts.

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-November-02, 13:59

View Postbridgepali, on 2016-November-02, 11:26, said:

:ph34r: Updating view count.
Moderators, please merge these Bridgepali threads.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users