BBO Discussion Forums: Cue bidding for slam without the trump ace - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Cue bidding for slam without the trump ace

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-07, 05:13

View Postnekthen, on 2016-September-07, 04:49, said:

I play a slightly different version of exclusion, which has some pros and cons. After I make a splinter bid, if my next bid is 4N it is exclusion rkcb. This allows me to hear partners response to my splinter before I choose to bid 4N. Obviously, the downside happens when I splinter with a singleton, but if I choose to cue bid instead of bidding 4N, partner will realise that my splinter was a singleton.

An alternative to this, possibly better, is to differentiate between void and singleton splinters immediately. For example:

==
3 = void splinter in any suit
... - 3NT asks
... - ... - 4 = void in suit bid
... - ... - 4 = spade void
3NT = splinter with a singleton spade
4 = splinter with a singleton
--

==
3NT = void splinter in any suit
... - 4 asks
... - ... - 4 = void in suit bid
... - ... - 4 = club void
4 = splinter with a singleton
--

An oft-seen alternative is for the direct splinter to show a void and the 3M+1 condensed splinter to be with a singleton. That has an advantage in terms of information leakage (you are more likely to want to know a void suit) but is less efficient on more hands (voids are less common than singletons). If you combine it with a second sequence to show maxi-splinters (ie splinter raises with extras) you can cover the entire range of hands fully differentiated in both strength and type of shortage. But this is not really a N/B method, just a FYI about possibilities along the way. ;)
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users