BBO Discussion Forums: It didn't occur to me that he could pass this - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

It didn't occur to me that he could pass this It just "seemed" forcing...

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-04, 16:41

IMPs

Am I wrong?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-04, 16:53

Yes, is definitely round-force.

(Apparently you were not playing 2/1...)
It might not be 100% game-force after the competition, if he just makes pref to 3 or rebids 4...
I guess rules are a bit "flexible" there... and different players might have different opinions re GF or not.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-September-04, 17:40

Is game-forcing with 2 exceptions even with opposition bidding after 2/1
1) If you stop and double opponents
2) No good fit is found and side lacks stoppers for 3N may end up in 4 minor rarely
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-September-04, 17:44

View Poststeve2005, on 2016-September-04, 17:40, said:

Is game-forcing with 2 exceptions even with opposition bidding after 2/1
1) If you stop and double opponents
2) No good fit is found and side lacks stoppers for 3N may end up in 4 minor rarely

Ummm... in our system 1-2 is forcing to 2. I would advise you not to look like an idiot by responding assuming conditions that are clearly not in force in the OP.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-04, 17:47

3d sounds game forcing to me even if we assume 2c is not. In any event I would not stop short of game as responder and we can discuss later in the bar over a cold one.

Is this an Acol quiz question? :)

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-04, 17:53

View PostVampyr, on 2016-September-04, 17:44, said:

Ummm... in our system 1-2 is forcing to 2. I would advise you not to look like an idiot by responding assuming conditions that are clearly not in force in the OP.

I would suggest not looking like as ass by getting snippy when someone makes assumptions in the face of you providing no system details.

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-September-04, 17:57

View PostVampyr, on 2016-September-04, 17:44, said:

I'd advise that you not expect people to be able to guess at the meanings of your own idiosyncratic treatments...

[When I post a MOSCITO auction I have the good grace to explain nonstandard treatments as to avoid wasting everyone's time]
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-September-04, 18:33

As far as system is concerned the question of 3D being forcing would not arise if 2C were gf, so I assumed that 2C was not gf. And then I went on to assume that any discussion that you had was insufficient. So we have to go by what is reasonable. Myself, I cannot imagine passing 3D. If I have diamonds, that's great and I would then raise diamonds. If I don't have diamonds then I have to get us out of diamonds. That's part of it. But also, partner sometimes has a good hand. Witha good hand with hearts and diamonds, what else is there to do other than bid 3D?

So yes, I think that it is forcing. But you say 2D was forcing to 2H, and playing 1H-2D-2H-P seems odd to me. So of course I don't know how a poll would go if you confined it to people who see an uncontested 1H-2D-2H as passable.

But playing online with someone you barely know, if that's what this was. leads to such things. I enjoy playing online, and I often play with people I barely know, and so there are these things.

But yes, I cannot imagine that I would pass. I would make other calls you would not approve of though.
Ken

#9 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-04, 18:41

I play regularly in a partnership where 1H-2C-2D (opponents pass throughout) is non-forcing, so you might want to take this comment with that grain of salt.

I don't think 3D as non-forcing is unreasonable - you would X first if you wanted to force.

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-September-04, 19:01

View PostTylerE, on 2016-September-04, 17:53, said:

I would suggest not looking like as ass by getting snippy when someone makes assumptions in the face of you providing no system details.

She puts London as location, assuming 2/1 GF is unwise, a Brit would normally state it if they were playing it.

3 should be forcing for everybody who hasn't discussed it and agreed that it isn't, whether it's F1 or FG with no agreement is unclear.

#11 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-04, 23:00

Some play a style where all good hands must X first, thus limiting the 3D to about 15, normally 5-5 shape. If so responder could pass sensing a misfit with e.g. 3136.

ahydra

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-September-05, 01:00

I will assume that a forcing pass is not available and that 2nt would be natural and forcing . Now feel free to call me names.

In that case a nf 3d bid is the only way to stop in 3d. Maybe forcing is more useful. But presumably dbl followed by 3d is stronger.

For 2/1 pairs the auction
1h p 1s 2d
3c
is most commonly played as invitational but here presumably responder hae shown enough that there is no need to distinguish between weak and invitational.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-September-05, 04:22

hi Vampyr,

This is an interesting post because how some players bid is completely different to others. As MrAce demonstrated in a recent post, his interpretation of a suit rebid at the three level (as opposed to a new suit) went against what many other people were suggesting, including myself.

As he succinctly put it, "He makes the bid because of shape, not shape and beans".

I do feel there is some general difference between British and American bidding sequences, and interpretation of bids, especially where the opponents have intervened.

To me, if opener bids a new minor at the three level, it is forcing for one round at the very least, whatever system you are playing. Opener is unlimited, except where a partnership are using a strong club system.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-September-05, 04:27

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-September-04, 19:01, said:

She puts London as location, assuming 2/1 GF is unwise, a Brit would normally state it if they were playing it.

Yes and as mentioned above, the (non)forcing nature of 3 would not be in question if we were already forced to game.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-September-05, 05:41

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-September-05, 01:00, said:

I will assume that a forcing pass is not available and that 2nt would be natural and forcing . Now feel free to call me names.

In that case a nf 3d bid is the only way to stop in 3d. Maybe forcing is more useful. But presumably dbl followed by 3d is stronger.

I do not know if it is useful to have a way to stop in 3; with what hand would I want to go on a solo adventure with no guarantee of a fit? for this reason I don't know if it is sensible to have two ways to bid 3, and would reserve the double for more flexible hands, eg with Hx. I may be wrong about this. (Bid a passable 3 with a moderate 6/6?)

The actual hand, not that it's super relevant, was x AKJ10xx K10xxx x.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-September-05, 05:46

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-September-04, 17:57, said:

I'd advise that you not expect people to be able to guess at the meanings of your own idiosyncratic treatments...

[When I post a MOSCITO auction I have the good grace to explain nonstandard treatments as to avoid wasting everyone's time]

Nothing nonstandard here. Pure natural bidding, no artificial colours, no preservatives.

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-September-05, 06:08

View PostVampyr, on 2016-September-05, 05:46, said:

Nothing nonstandard here. Pure natural bidding, no artificial colours, no preservatives.

But the answer to your question could depend on the strength promised by the 2 bid. 8+ is different from from 12+ while both could be consistent with the agreement that 2 is a one round force but we could end in 3 on some auctions.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-September-05, 06:12

View PostVampyr, on 2016-September-05, 05:41, said:

I do not know if it is useful to have a way to stop in 3; with what hand would I want to go on a solo adventure with no guarantee of a fit? for this reason I don't know if it is sensible to have two ways to bid 3, and would reserve the double for more flexible hands, eg with Hx. I may be wrong about this. (Bid a passable 3 with a moderate 6/6?)

The actual hand, not that it's super relevant, was x AKJ10xx K10xxx x.

If opener has a 1552 12-count and responder has a 3136 10-count ... especially for those who play 4-card majors since you would like to show the fifth heart. But you play 5-card majors in this partnership, don't you?

At this vulnerability it is probably a bit far fetched since a weak hand can afford to pass.

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-September-05, 06:15

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-September-05, 06:08, said:

But the answer to your question could depend on the strength promised by the 2 bid. 8+ is different from from 12+ while both could be consistent with the agreement that 2 is a one round force but we could end in 3 on some auctions.

Yes, that is true, but again if partner is 8+ rather than 10+ I still don't see why I want to climb past his suit at the 3-level on a possible (probable?) misfit.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-September-05, 06:16

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-September-05, 06:12, said:

If opener has a 1552 12-count and responder has a 3136 10-count ... especially for those who play 4-card majors since you would like to show the fifth heart. But you play 5-card majors in this partnership, don't you?

At this vulnerability it is probably a bit far fetched since a weak hand can afford to pass.

Yes and I agree.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users