BBO Discussion Forums: Robot bid quesstion - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Robot bid quesstion

#1 User is offline   cochrun 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-September-02, 15:14

Playing sets of 4 deals on BBO I got the cards shown. E passed. As S I opened 1NT, W bid 2 and my robotic partner N jumped to 4. I passed, thinking that N had a bunch of hearts and some good points. Please explain how the robot came to the conclusion to bid 4 with only 5 hearts and 6 HCP?

#2 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-02, 21:29

What the robot does in this situation is randomly generate 100 hands with 15-17 points and balanced and decide what the best bid is for them opposite these 100 hands.

In this case, I think the robot actually made the right bid. If you have 763 KQ4 A9852 AQ3 then 4 is about 80% likely to make. Keep in mind the robot doesn't have any invitational sequences available here, and 3 (which is forcing, choice of games) would not be a good bid since it doesn't want to be in 3N even if you only have 2 hearts. Being vulnerable, you want to be in game even if it makes only 40% of the time.

#3 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-02, 21:40

View Postakwoo, on 2016-September-02, 21:29, said:

What the robot does in this situation is randomly generate 100 hands with 15-17 points and balanced and decide what the best bid is for them opposite these 100 hands.

Only if it were an advanced robot - sounds more like the OP might have been playing the free 'Bridge 4', where no simulations are done.

However, even the basic bot will add 3 points for the spade void. 4 seems like a reasonable choice.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-03, 04:40

View Postsmerriman, on 2016-September-02, 21:40, said:

However, even the basic bot will add 3 points for the spade void. 4 seems like a reasonable choice.

Unless 3H is forcing. Which I think it is, as robots play Leb
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2016-September-14, 19:12

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-September-03, 04:40, said:

Unless 3H is forcing. Which I think it is, as robots play Leb

akwoo made the observation that 3H was forcing and a choice of games. 4H was still "the best bid." The fact that the robot failed to make the proper simulation to determine the merit of 3H when 3NT will never make on a fit-less sub minimum and still made "the best bid" is a credit to the programmers.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-September-15, 00:57

He expressed the point. I do not have to agree with it. And in point of fact I do not. If partner chooses 3N (or 3S in doubt) over 4H having only 2 card support for a 5 card suit headed by Jack I expect to support his judgement more often than not.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2016-September-15, 12:52

What is the chance that, with a spade void, 3 is going to lead to 3, and then 4 to 4 (or then 4 to a higher-information pass) and be right? What is the chance that, with a spade void, 4 is going to lead to 4 and be right? Which is more likely?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users