Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3rd/4th seat openings

#1 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-01, 18:27

Are the rules any looser? This seems like a clear opener in 4th seat to me.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-01, 23:07

I don't think that robots take any account of position when opening. Same with type of scoring and (with possible exception of 3+ pre-empts) vulnerability.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-02, 15:46

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-September-01, 23:07, said:

I don't think that robots take any account of position when opening. Same with type of scoring and (with possible exception of 3+ pre-empts) vulnerability.

That is correct. It would probably be a good idea to have some sort of adjustments for 3rd and 4th seat, but it is a much lower priority than fixing things which are clearly broken.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-02, 21:32

View Postjeffford76, on 2016-September-01, 18:27, said:

Are the rules any looser? This seems like a clear opener in 4th seat to me.

No, this seems unlikely a clear in 4th seat to you in fact, it should know this is a fortunate suits distributions for one time, merely.
Any ideas?

Now I would better take my evidence to show my point , that's to say you would probably hold East hand and Gib E will just hold your hand, see its result.

Result : 1E= 80

How about it?
So I think Gib N never be a good opener in 4th seat to you, its pass is really good.

#5 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-September-03, 09:01

View Postlycier, on 2016-September-02, 21:32, said:

No, this seems unlikely a clear in 4th seat to you in fact, it should know this is a fortunate suits distributions for one time, merely.

Clear opener doesn't mean that I will always get a plus score, just that I think it's more likely than not (here especially because of holding both majors). Showing that if the hands were different it wouldn't have worked isn't really an argument. That's true of almost every bid you ever make.

#6 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-September-03, 16:55

View Postjeffford76, on 2016-September-03, 09:01, said:

Clear opener doesn't mean that I will always get a plus score, just that I think it's more likely than not (here especially because of holding both majors). Showing that if the hands were different it wouldn't have worked isn't really an argument. That's true of almost every bid you ever make.

Would you suggest whether Gib needs to establish a special bidding rule on 3th/4th seat openings ? Would you mean Gib must open when holds 4432 shape with 11hcp (/12TPs)?

#7 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-September-03, 17:44

Here I would better make several similar hands to show Gib's bidding rules on 4th seat openings.

For major suit :
- Hand-1

- Hand-2

So we would see its bidding rules :
1- 5-card major suit ,11hcp with 13TPs.
2- Gib is sure to open with 12hcp.

For minor suit :
A- When holds 12hcp
- Hand-3

B- When holds 11hcp

- Hand-4

- Hand-5

So we would see its bidding rules :
1- Gib is sure to open when holds 12hcp.
2- Gib will open its minor suit only when holds 5-card minor suit with 11hcp and exact 13TPs.

I totally agree with Gib's bidding rules.

Any ideas?

#8 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-04, 01:11

Well it's a moot point since jdonn said GIB isn't making any allowances for 3rd/4th seat openers and it's low priority vs. more egregious bugs.

But if they ever get around to it, I'd definitely open at least a point lighter than it is above when holding 8+ cds in the majors and 4 spades. 12+ TP to me is automatic open with 4+/4+ M. It's pretty criminal not to open that 4441 11 hcp hand in 4th chair IMO.

There's the old idea of "Pearson points" when contemplating light openers, HCP+ spade length >= 15 to open for hands you aren't opening 1st/2nd. The idea is either you have spade fit yourself, or your spades make the opp's having spade fit less likely, or failing both of those the 4-1 break may make it hard for them to make 2S. With both majors there's just a huge probability you can make 2H or 2S, and opps have to go to the 3 level to outbid you and you can probably beat that with half the deck. It's going to be at least 2-3 good results for every bad one. And even if partner doesn't have a major 1nt can often scramble home.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users