BBO Discussion Forums: agreements after a misbid or a wrong alert. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

agreements after a misbid or a wrong alert.

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2016-September-01, 09:03

http://bridgewinners...=399056#c399056

Shorter example that goes with law

20 F5(a)

A player whose partner has given a mistaken explanation may not correct the error during the auction, nor may he indicate in any man
ner that a mistake has been made. “Mistaken explanation” here includes failure to alert or announce as regulations require or an alert
(or an announcement) that regulations do not require.

This came for a hand where

1NT (15-17 from opener point of view) but alerted as 10-13

responder bid 2H.

Now 2H is to play vs 10-13 but xfer vs 15-17.

Do you announce transfer ??

If you announce transfer you are immediatly breaking 20 F5. You are giving the wrong information to your opps (im not using misinformation) since they will think hes got !S while you know hes got !H. You are also giving UI to your partner, he will notice that 1NT should have been 15-17 or that you (opener) think that in that seat condition its 15-17 and not 10-13 so the partnerhsip misunderstanding will be exposed to both players.

If you dont annonce transfers you are somehow not properly disclosing your agreements since you know for sure or think that 1NT is 15-17 and that 2H is a xfer.

Wich law to break ? the one about not giving UI and not waking up partner or the one about disclosing your a priori agreements (2H is xfer after a strong NT)

Note that im not asking on what should you bid. Its clear that the 10-13 is UI, so will need to bid accordingly, this post is all about what should be announced.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-September-01, 09:24

You announce (or not) your partnership agreement. So you announce transfer since that, to you, is the agreement. It is not (presumably) your fault that partner has misremembered.

So you bid 2 Spades. (You can't field the misbid because of the UI position.)

If you have an agreement that 2 Hearts cannot be removed then your partner can wake up - but by then of course it will be too late. He should of course call the director.

I somehow suspect that the opponents won't be damaged.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-September-01, 09:29

There's no law that says you must not give UI to partner. Every time you alert or answer an opponent's question you're potentially giving them UI. You're should try to avoid giving UI, but the laws on disclosure trump them. That's why the real infraction is when partner uses the UI, not when it's transmitted. If your explanation wakes up partner, he needs to avoid using the wakeup in his subsequent bidding.

I read the BW thread, and this does seem like a thorny issue that isn't really clear in the Laws. You're required to explain your agreements. But which agreements do you explain? What his bid would have meant if he'd correctly understood your bid, or what his bid actually means given that he misunderstood your bid.

#4 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-September-01, 09:40

View Postbarmar, on 2016-September-01, 09:29, said:

There's no law that says you must not give UI to partner. Every time you alert or answer an opponent's question you're potentially giving them UI. You're should try to avoid giving UI, but the laws on disclosure trump them. That's why the real infraction is when partner uses the UI, not when it's transmitted. If your explanation wakes up partner, he needs to avoid using the wakeup in his subsequent bidding.

I read the BW thread, and this does seem like a thorny issue that isn't really clear in the Laws. You're required to explain your agreements. But which agreements do you explain? What his bid would have meant if he'd correctly understood your bid, or what his bid actually means given that he misunderstood your bid.

What his bid means if he had understood your bid - opponents are entitled to the agreement not to knowledge what cards are in your hands. You, of course, know what cards are in his hand but must carefully avoid taking advantage of that information.

The problem on the BW thread is when you aren't certain whether you have misbid or not. I think you would have to make a conscious decision one way or the other and then act consistently on it.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-01, 10:03

There's no law that says you must not give UI to partner.

Agree but

20 F5(a)

A player whose partner has given a mistaken explanation may not correct the error during the auction, nor may he indicate in any man
ner that a mistake has been made. “Mistaken explanation” here includes failure to alert or announce as regulations require or an alert
(or an announcement) that regulations do not require.

This is a pretty clear sentence to me. Does this law trump the laws on disclosure is not clear but since

You're required to explain your agreements. But which agreements do you explain? What his bid would have meant if he'd correctly understood your bid, or what his bid actually means given that he misunderstood your bid.

I prefer to not break a law and maybe give the wrong agreement, than clearly break a law.

I was always told that if partner is on the wrong track you cannot wake him up and you cannot help him field the UI mess.
The top notch director comment was "its much easier to deal when there is one player that got UI and one player that gave misinformation than when both players of the offending side have UI and gave MI.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-01, 10:13

The problem on the BW thread is when you aren't certain whether you have misbid or not. I think you would have to make a conscious decision one way or the other and then act consistently on it.

This is also a nasty point. Lets just say that it will take me 15 seconds to decide if I should say transfer or not, partner will guess there is a partnership misunderstanding.
If you adopt the spirit that you dont try to help partner and just assume that responder is right i dont see how it can backfired (but you bid according that you have UI).

Ex

1NT--2D
2H

2D could have been GF stayman or transfers if it take me 15 second to choose one or the other im breaking law 20 F5.

#7 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-01, 13:04

I agree that you alert and announce according to your actual agreement and it does not change if you have misbid or partner has wrongly announced.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-September-02, 08:49

I've always interpreted the clause about "indicate in any manner that a mistake has been made" to refer to things like reactions of surprise. You're still supposed to alert and explain according to your actual agreements, even if the players (including partner) will be able to infer that a mistake has been made.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-September-02, 08:55

View Postweejonnie, on 2016-September-01, 09:40, said:

What his bid means if he had understood your bid - opponents are entitled to the agreement not to knowledge what cards are in your hands. You, of course, know what cards are in his hand but must carefully avoid taking advantage of that information.

I don't think this is the issue here. It's not a matter of what cards are in his hand, but what his bid means. And the meaning of his bid depends on what he thought your bid meant, and you know that based on the alert+explanation he gave previously.

One simple solution is to adopt the "pretend we have screen" approach. With screens you never would have heard his weak NT announcement, so you would give explanations of his bids based on a strong NT context.

#10 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-02, 20:58

Somebody else found this for me

From http://worldbridge.o...2008beijing.pdf

LAW 20
There is no infraction when a correct explanation discloses that partner’s prior explanation was mistaken. The words “nor may he indicate in any manner that a mistake has been made” (in Law 20F5(a)) do not refer to compliance with the overriding requirement of the laws always to respond to enquiries under Law 20F with correct explanations of the partnership understandings.

Wich initially simply made no sense to me but after reading the 1997 version ive understood what is happening.

In the 2007 (Wbf) and 2008 (Acbl)

they completly change law 20 and they added...

Law 20 F4.

If a player subsequently realizes that his own explanation was erroneous or incomplete he must call the Director immediately. The Director applies Law 21B or Law 40B4.

So the idea is that when opener announce transfer responder will understand that he gave a misexplanantion and will be forced to call the director. At this point the director will clearly explain to north that he must give explanation according to the authentic agreements (15-17) but that for him the transfer announcement is UI and he will need to bid as if your are in a weak NT sequence. Opener will still bid and explain as if he is in a strong NT sequence and its still UI that responder is GF and doesnt promise 5H.

Ive tought about it a lot and nothing else make sense.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users