BBO Discussion Forums: what does this 'long suit' mean?please help! - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what does this 'long suit' mean?please help! annotation on bidding of int-dbl-redbl

#1 User is offline   surelyours 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:photograph; music; movie

Posted 2016-August-31, 06:11

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-31, 06:23

Are you sure you posted the correct image you intended to?

All I see is a child photo with something written in Chinese alphabet.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   surelyours 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 06:50

MrAce, on 2016-August-31, 06:23, said:

Are you sure you posted the correct image you intended to?

All I see is a child photo with something written in Chinese alphabet.

now is it correct? I can see it.
thank you !

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:04

"Long minor" here means that your partner has a natural 2 or 2 takeout, typically a 5-6 card suit and not very much general strength.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#5 User is offline   surelyours 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:11

Zelandakh, on 2016-August-31, 07:04, said:

"Long minor" here means that your partner has a natural 2 or 2 takeout, typically a 5-6 card suit and not very much general strength.

thank you!

#6 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:13

hi surelyours,

+ = minor suit, minor meaning 'lower'

+ = major suit, major meaning 'higher'

On the diagram, Rdbl could be xx xxx xx Q98xxx
or, x xx JTxxxxx x

'minor' also means 'small child' in English.

Hope this helps

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:14

surelyours, on 2016-August-31, 06:50, said:

now is it correct? I can see it.
thank you !

Yes now it is OK. First I thought it was a Spam post.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:16

The_Badger, on 2016-August-31, 07:13, said:

hi surelyours,

+ = minor suit, minor meaning 'lower'

+ = major suit, major meaning 'higher'

On the diagram, Rdbl could be xx xxx xx Q98xxx
or, x xx JTxxxxx x

'minor' also means 'small child' in English.

Hope this helps

I assume he is playing with GIB because this looks like a GIB alert. GIB does not run from NT DBL as you suggest, keeps transfers etc. Not the best way but I think they kept it this way for simplicity.

#9 User is offline   surelyours 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:22

Zelandakh, on 2016-August-31, 07:04, said:

but how should I continue bidding with this hand? when I bidded 3c , he passed with a hand of 4 clubs and 6 diamonds.

#10 User is offline   surelyours 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:33

MrAce, on 2016-August-31, 07:14, said:

you are right, I edited the url. for the first site doesnot support very vell, I upload the img onto another site.

#11 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:37

Partner is not expecting you to continue bidding. You have limited your hand with the 1NT opening, painting a well defined description of your hand. He has shown a weak hand. You should pass the 2 bid. Your partner may choose to compete if 2 is passed around to him - normally he would not do so, but with 6-4 in the minors he might ...

#12 User is offline   surelyours 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:39

MrAce, on 2016-August-31, 07:14, said:

what do you suggest my following bidding MrACE? now I know he has long minors, but don't know which is longer?

#13 User is offline   surelyours 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:41

Tramticket, on 2016-August-31, 07:37, said:

Partner is not expecting you to continue bidding. You have limited your hand with the 1NT opening, painting a well defined description of your hand. He has shown a weak hand. You should pass the 2 bid. Your partner may choose to compete if 2 is passed around to him - normally he would not do so, but with 6-4 in the minors he might ...

Thank you! Tramticket

#14 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:42

surelyours, on 2016-August-31, 07:22, said:

but how should I continue bidding with this hand? when I bidded 3c , he passed with a hand of 4 clubs and 6 diamonds.

Do you want to bid again, surelyours? Partner could have a very poor hand and you run the risk of a big penalty when the opponents cannot make game. Pass the 2 bid is the best option, I feel

#15 User is offline   surelyours 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:46

MrAce, on 2016-August-31, 07:16, said:

I assume he is playing with GIB because this looks like a GIB alert. GIB does not run from NT DBL as you suggest, keeps transfers etc. Not the best way but I think they kept it this way for simplicity.

it is GIB :)

#16 User is offline   surelyours 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:48

The_Badger, on 2016-August-31, 07:42, said:

Do you want to bid again, surelyours? Partner could have a very poor hand and you run the risk of a big penalty when the opponents cannot make game. Pass the 2 bid is the best option, I feel

Thank you! got it.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-31, 09:01

You have 17 HCP. West's double shows 16-17 HCP (since robot duplicate tournaments are "best hand", West can't have more HCP than you). So there are at most 7 HCP distributed between North and East, and you should probably assume they're split about evenly. So North has about 3 HCP -- do you really want to be playing at the 3 level?

Before you make your 3 bid, you should hover over it to see what it means. I think you will see that it shows 5+ clubs, so the robot thought it was a 9-card fit. Why should it correct to 3? Once East bids, you're not in a pass-or-correct situation any more -- your bid shows a suit of your own.

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-August-31, 11:11

surelyours, on 2016-August-31, 07:39, said:

what do you suggest my following bidding MrACE? now I know he has long minors, but don't know which is longer?

He does not have long minors. He has only one long minor (5+). and he is weak.

I would pass. My hand is way too balanced. Make it 4-3 minors and a doubleton , then I may consider bidding 3 if that is pass or correct. As Barry said this may not be the case though.

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 14:30

MrAce, on 2016-August-31, 11:11, said:

I may consider bidding 3 if that is pass or correct. As Barry said this may not be the case though.

I think the right way to play here is for 3 to show clubs with diamond tolerance and 2NT to show diamonds with club tolerance but GIB most likely has 3m natural and 2NT asking for the minor.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#20 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-August-31, 19:23

I think that there SHOULD be a method for South to compete with support for both minors.
I think that 3C (or 2N if you wish) SHOULD show such a hand, and North should pull to 3D if that is his "long minor".

Whether South has a suitable hand for competing may be debatable. Personally I think that he has, but only subject to the above agreement and obviously not if GIB is programmed to pass without correcting.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users