BBO Discussion Forums: what does this 'long suit' mean?please help! - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what does this 'long suit' mean?please help! annotation on bidding of int-dbl-redbl

#21 User is offline   hellobye 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-September-01, 16:48

View Postsurelyours, on 2016-August-31, 07:22, said:

but how should I continue bidding with this hand? when I bidded 3c , he passed with a hand of 4 clubs and 6 diamonds.

There is no English word "bidded".

The past tense of bid is also bid.

I bid 1 today. I bid 1 yesterday.

#22 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-01, 16:58

View Posthellobye, on 2016-September-01, 16:48, said:

There is no English word "bidded".

The past tense of bid is also bid.

I bid 1 today. I bid 1 yesterday.

That was really worth the bandwidth?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#23 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-September-02, 01:21

The "WRIGGLING" convention says it all.With a poor hand with 5+ suit the responder does not wish to play in 1NTx bids xx requesting ,or rather forcing, opener to bid 2C and if that is actually the responders suit he passes or corrects to D/H/S whichever is his suit.Since this is showing a very weak hand opener has to pass compulsorily.With a good hand with which,(when not playing this convention,)normally have redoubled ,or any 4333 hand even if poor ,PASSES.For example,holding 8+ HCP and balanced hand he does not xx but passes.If openers RHO passes the opener if he does not wish to play in 1NTx redoubles asking responder to pass with 8 or more and bid the 4card suit with less HCP. After1NTx with a poor hand and having no long suit but having two four carder suits ,bids the lower ranking suit e.g.with xx,Jxxx,xxx,xxxx he bids 2C.!and opener passes with at least three cards in clubs and else bids 2D without them.In the e.g.hand respnder bids 2H, his other 4 card suit and opener passes since he must possess at least three cards in H as he has only 2 cards in clubs.The general idea of the convention is "To Wriggle" out.There are less chances now that opponents will double a 2 level suit contract (as there can be even a 4-4 fit ).And when the long suit approach has been used there can be even 5-3 or better fit,Anyhow they may find it difficult to x that contract.Somehow,we may escape playing in 1NTx with a poor hand or even penalize opponents (when the 8+ hand passes and opener redoubles).It is advisable that only regular partnerships use this convention.
As regards what to do in the diagrammed example,it is advisable to pass since one knows nothing about partners hand.It may prove costly if any other competitive bid like 3C is thought of.

#24 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-September-02, 01:30

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-September-01, 16:58, said:

That was really worth the bandwidth?

At least as much as the response it provoked.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#25 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-September-02, 21:28

You said that you bid 3C which responder passed holding only 4 Cards and he had 6 Diamond cards.I don't blame him as 3C was taken by your partner ,perhaps,as a 5 card suit and a dislike for diamonds.To show support for both minors you should bid ,if at all,2NT a bid which is easy to understand as no one will bid 2Nt when 1NT itself was doubled and more so when partner has shown a poor hand.He would then have easily bid 3 diamonds.You have solid winners and no wasted honors in both majors.Playing Wriggling,I ,in your position ,would certainly have bid 2NT with the given cards.Good Luck with wriggling.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users