• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-31, 01:12

3rd and 5th leads.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 03:03

Mostly W in my opinion but both had way too much hope in spade suit providing the tricks they needed.

W knows pd took first with K and that means declarer has Q, thus they have 2 tricks + 1 he already took and need 1 more.

West did not continue diamonds because he was afraid that declarer will discard a loser on established J. So he went for 2nd trick before diamond J is set. In order for this to be the case he needs declarer to hold 3 spades. Which makes East hold QJ ( Qx would be stupid move) and therefore playing spade after winning the A does not work. Wins only when East has stiff Q. But if that was the case, East probably would win the first diamond with Ace and play his stiff Q. W should play IMO.

What does East know for T2? He knows West does not have both AK of clubs or he would start with one. He knows they take 2 diamond tricks and needs to create 2 more. If pd has spade A he always scores it. Can they score 2nd spade trick if he plays Q now? Or a spade trick if declarer has the A? This also requires declarer to hold 3 card spades. And does not work in most cases when declarer has the A unless he bid 4 with a joke hand. But it is still hard for East to construct hands where playing at T2 costs, compared to West. Though he should have gone for club trick before diamond J is established incase declarer has something like

xx
AQJxxxx
Qx
Ax
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-31, 03:07

hi Fluffy,

No comment. At least you are brave enough to post a hand to show that true experts sometimes get hands horribly wrong.

I'll be kind :) It was a misclick, and the opponents wouldn't allow an undo :(

#4 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-31, 06:43

Mostly East.East knows that South has DQ & atbest another A(otherwise game is making) but that can'nt be spade as West would have Club AK & start with that so he should establish ClubK before discards are possible.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-August-31, 07:27

View Postalok c, on 2016-August-31, 06:43, said:

Mostly East.East knows that South has DQ & atbest another A(otherwise game is making) but that can'nt be spade as West would have Club AK & start with that so he should establish ClubK before discards are possible.

East does not know who has DQ. West knows it.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-31, 08:22

West should get it right but East made a big contribution.

East knows that the 2nd diamond is cashing and may or may not set up a pitch. A club shift at trick 2 is called for as declarer either has the spade ace or it's not going away without an unlikely parlay.

We can't beat this unless partner has some stuff and given the full 10 count in dummy, that means declarer rates to have shape as in shortness in a black suit. If partners lead was the stiff 2, so be it, but they couldn't find a call making it less likely and the spade shift instead of a club can't be right.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-31, 14:13

This is a very tough problem, at least at T2 for East. I can see cases for any shift but a trump.

1. A spade is right when declarer has xxx AQJxxxx Qx A.

2. Giving partner a diamond ruff is right when parther has a stiff and a side trick. A,K will convey spade cards.

3. Even a club could be right with something like a) A QJxxxxxx Qx Ax. It's also right with b)xx AQJxxxx Qx Ax.

3 and 1 are obscure. 2 is quite normal.

So I'd cash a diamond. The stage shifts to West. East is indictating spade strength but there isn't a layout where we can untangle our spades looking at Axxxx and we've lost 3b.

On the actual hand after the spade shift, East guessed well by not continuing ds and looking for the D ruff. West can see book, and as long as they don't lose the diamond trick we will beat the hand, so securing the diamond trick is critical. A spade makes zero sense.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-August-31, 14:24

View PostPhil, on 2016-August-31, 14:13, said:

This is a very tough problem, at least at T2 for East. I can see cases for any shift but a trump.

1. A spade is right when declarer has xxx AQJxxxx Qx A.

2. Giving partner a diamond ruff is right when parther has a stiff and a side trick. A,K will convey spade cards.

3. Even a club could be right with something like a) A QJxxxxxx Qx Ax. It's also right with b)xx AQJxxxx Qx Ax.

3 and 1 are obscure. 2 is quite normal.

So I'd cash a diamond. The stage shifts to West. East is indictating spade strength but there isn't a layout where we can untangle our spades looking at Axxxx and we've lost 3b.

On the actual hand after the spade shift, East guessed well by not continuing ds and looking for the D ruff. West can see book, and as long as they don't lose the diamond trick we will beat the hand, so securing the diamond trick is critical. A spade makes zero sense.

Phil what were you smoking when you constructed 3a? I want the same!! Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-31, 15:21

View PostMrAce, on 2016-August-31, 14:24, said:

Phil what were you smoking when you constructed 3a? I want the same!! Posted Image

Dude you better not be smoking.

Oh come on, why can't there be 14 hearts?

I tried to construct a layout where there was a spade block and no fast entry. I doubt it exists.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users