Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bronx Bombers

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-29, 13:59

LOL sorry to disappoint those who thought this thread was going to be about sports.

I am wondering about Yankees caps. It seems that whenever I see someone wearing a cap with a MLB logo on it it is the Yankees. I realise that the Yankees are an iconic and near-legendary team, but does that mean that everyone in England who cares about baseball is a Yankees fan?

Also, I just learnt that when the cap is sold not in a Yankees outlet, the proceeds have to be shared with all of the other teams. That seems a little unfair. But then again, the Yankees are probably the richest team in MLB, so perhaps it is fair just because it happens to be their caps that everyone is buying.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-29, 14:03

I thought they were Neil Young hats.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-29, 14:08

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-August-29, 14:03, said:

I thought they were Neil Young hats.

All Neil Young fans? Um, even more unlikely B-)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-29, 14:32

My guess would be that (almost) nobody in England cares about baseball, and that the Yankees hat is just a common souvenir from USA.

Yes, over here our sports leagues have something called revenue sharing. The details vary between the four major sports, but the general gist is that some revenue streams are distributed among all teams, so that the teams that are from smaller markets (or less rich for some other reason) have enough funds to compete with the teams from large markets (or more rich for some other reason).

It is usually assumed that what we call parity is a noble goal, i.e. many teams having a good chance to win. This doesn't seem to be a thing with European leagues, as La Liga, Bundesliga, etc are dominated by the same teams year in year out and nobody seems to consider it a problem. I would have said EPL also until last year happened.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-August-29, 18:04

If you ask people who know very little about baseball to name one team, I suspect the Yankees would be the top pick, much like Manchester United were the only football team anybody knew about abroad long before the days that English football was everywhere, probably due to Munich.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-29, 23:03

View Postbillw55, on 2016-August-29, 14:32, said:

My guess would be that (almost) nobody in England cares about baseball, and that the Yankees hat is just a common souvenir from USA.

No, they are sold here, and i see them almost daily anyway, ao,there is no way that many people went to New York and picked up that particular souvenir.

Yeah, I was thinking of a parallel with Man United, but i don't think that Man United jerseys were sold in every third shop like Yankee caps are here.

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-August-30, 01:06

I see them here in Germany quite a bit too, I always assume people associate it with New York, not with baseball.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-30, 06:33

View PostVampyr, on 2016-August-29, 23:03, said:

No, they are sold here, and i see them almost daily anyway, ao,there is no way that many people went to New York and picked up that particular souvenir.

Yeah, I was thinking of a parallel with Man United, but i don't think that Man United jerseys were sold in every third shop like Yankee caps are here.

OK, so not necessarily a souvenir from actually going to USA, but something that people buy because they think it represents the USA, or New York specifically as mgoetze says. I am still not convinced it has much to do with actual baseball.

Similar around here, merchandise from European football leagues is mostly limited to the top teams. I want a Crystal Palace hat.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-30, 07:51

View Postbillw55, on 2016-August-30, 06:33, said:

OK, so not necessarily a souvenir from actually going to USA, but something that people buy because they think it represents the USA

this to me is obviously right. just like red solo cups.
OK
bed

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users