BBO Discussion Forums: Obtaining old client functionalitly - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Obtaining old client functionalitly

#1 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-27, 10:27

I saw a friend's copy of BBO on an old client - another thread told me here that it was unavailable to me.

The old client had access to chat rooms where people of similar bridge interests would discuss things. Can the online players enter those also?

The old client had bridge movies where one could key in a hand, save it, and use GIB to determine double dummy results. Do the online players have this functionality available to them?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 11:43

I have rather forgotten about the old client having long since been converted (and was a die hard old client advocate until conversion - it was something of a quantum flip after sticking with the new for a bit).

There are still one or two trivial functions available through the old client which I guess will never be available through the web interface, due to the underlying architecture rather than by conscious intent.

The old client software still works if you can find the installation program somewhere. BBO no longer advertises it but I think it is still available. Sorry I can't provide the link, but a search of this forum may give it.

The greater problem is likely to be that BBO accounts created after a certain date (not sure when) cannot access BBO at all via the Windows download client.

But as regards your final question, I tend to use a third party app, Double Dummy Solver by Bridge Captain:

http://www.bridgecap...downloadDD.html
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-27, 20:22

No, chat rooms cannot be used in the online clients. You can simply open a table but not bother to play.

There are so many other ways to chat online, like skype, facebook, twitter, yahoo messenger, etc. that it hardly seems necessary for us to provide another one. Things were different when the original BBO client was written.

#4 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-28, 10:09

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-27, 20:22, said:

No, chat rooms cannot be used in the online clients. You can simply open a table but not bother to play.

There are so many other ways to chat online, like skype, facebook, twitter, yahoo messenger, etc. that it hardly seems necessary for us to provide another one. Things were different when the original BBO client was written.

This is so true but I know of one group that has their monthly chats in a BBO chat room. Fortunately, I am not yet a member of this group, otherwise I would be shut out.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-28, 10:59

If and when they encounter a situation when they would like a new member of their chat group who cannot access it, then they will have an incentive to change their arrangements. At that time they will be spoilt for choice.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users