BBO Discussion Forums: Go on? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Go on?

Poll: Go on? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (11 votes [44.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.00%

2. 4C (11 votes [44.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.00%

3. 4H (2 votes [8.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

4. Other (1 votes [4.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-26, 17:54

MP pairs. What's your next call? Do you agree with the bidding so far? Also, what, in the abstract, do you think you've shown by having bid this way?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-26, 18:11

View PostJinksy, on 2016-August-26, 17:54, said:

MP pairs. What's your next call? Do you agree with the bidding so far? Also, what, in the abstract, do you think you've shown by having bid this way?

You've shown a hand too good to overcall 2 and too good to X then bid 2.

For me this is an X then 2, but our simple overcalls can be a lot better than most peoples', make the hearts AJ5432 and we'd prob just overcall 2.

Can a slam be on, of course, Kxxx, x, Kxxx, Q108x might even make 7 given that all 11 points are most likely on your right.

I think I'd bid 4, but easier if you can bid 3 over whatever partner bids over a 2 rebid (quite likely 2N).

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-26, 18:18

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-August-26, 18:11, said:

You've shown a hand too good to overcall 2 and too good to X then bid 2.

For me this is an X then 2, but our simple overcalls can be a lot better than most peoples.

Would X then 2 be forcing for you in this auction?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-26, 20:24

Easy 4C.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-August-26, 20:36

So much playing strength. I'll make a try for slam with 4C and hopefully PD reads this as a 4 card suit. I'll respect a 4 sign off.

#6 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2016-August-26, 21:03

4C must be right now. The difficult question is what we do afterwards. You aren't going to make 6nt on power, so you need a fit. Unless you can get a club raise you have to settle for game I think. So I will raise 5C to 6C but leave 4H.

#7 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-August-26, 21:28

4. 1N shows partner isn't broke. If they have 3 cover cards we are in business.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#8 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-27, 01:25

hi Jinksy,

Just put that hand into Kaplan & Rubens hand evaluator and it comes out at a whopping 25.55!

Steve Moe says 4♣. 1N shows partner isn't broke. If they have 3 cover cards we are in business.

However, given your own strength (and that an opponent has opened), what concerns me is that partner may be a little under strength for his 1NT bid, certainly not 8-10. He has been forced to bid and chose the lesser of two evils by discarding a very weak 4 card minor suit bid in favour of 1NT.

But I'm bidding 4 like many others, yet will proceed with a degree of caution. The hand could be quite distributional - you already know partner has a singleton .

Please give us the whole hand, Jinksy, in a day or two's time as I am curious, perhaps like many others. Thanks :)

#9 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-27, 01:42

Pass. Partner is not expected to hold more than 5/6 pts,his 1nt call was forced.Normally he would have passed 3 but his 3nt call indicates he may have Q.

#10 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 02:10

[/quote]

I like the X and 3H bid.

Bidding 1N in reply to a TO X does have higher standards in my style.

How often do you make 1N opposite a 1444 minimum hand with the values suggested that responder will hold here?

My overcall range is @12-17/18 for a 2H overcall, so X and 2Hs would show @17/18+HCP with quality HCP and/or extra shape.

With a random BBO player, I would pass 3N here. I am too likely to get passed out in 4C or have partner bid 4Ds now to now show a 5 card D suit.

#11 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 02:26

1.) Because of our point value and the 6-card suit, I think X followed by 3 is perfectly fine. Now I bid 4, this shows 6+ hearts, 4+ clubs, and at least a King more than minimum. I doubt 6 is there, but I won't give up on 6 so easily, and my suit is good enough to get dropped in 4.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 02:40

View Postchasetb, on 2016-August-27, 02:26, said:

1.) Because of our point value and the 6-card suit, I think X followed by 3 is perfectly fine. Now I bid 4, this shows 6+ hearts, 4+ clubs, and at least a King more than minimum. I doubt 6 is there, but I won't give up on 6 so easily, and my suit is good enough to get dropped in 4.

Are we all sure that 4 shows clubs after we already bid 3? How would you bid with

A
AKQTxxx
xx
AKQ

Pd can hold

KJxx
xx
QJx
Jxxx

or

KT9x
xx
Axx
Jxxx

I do not know others but to me 3 is a 1 suiter hand and already self confirms the trumps, especially over a NT response. Perhaps we should have started 2 the previous round, which I would have.

You all should consider playing DBL and then new suit over NT response as forcing. Especially if your overcalls are made to 17 hcp, dbl and then suit over NT response should be forcing. 1 NT response is not 0-9 like other responses.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-August-27, 02:47

View Postalok c, on 2016-August-27, 01:42, said:

Pass. Partner is not expected to hold more than 5/6 pts,his 1nt call was forced.Normally he would have passed 3 but his 3nt call indicates he may have Q.

1N is something like 7-10 here, you bid a suit with less.

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-August-27, 03:48

View PostJinksy, on 2016-August-26, 18:18, said:

Over 1N (7-10 ish) it's game forcing for us, not over other minimum bids.

#15 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-August-27, 14:46

Partners 1NT followed by 3NT shows life.4H or 5 C must certainly be on.Hence I bid 4C.

#16 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 15:42

View PostJinksy, on 2016-August-26, 18:18, said:

Not for me but it does show a very good hand. Nothing wrong with 3 on your auction but should tend to be the boy band, one direction.

A 2 bid over 1nt might work better in that partner can show shape type stuff and you can bid whatever you choose slowly, clearly on a game force. Mind you in my partnership a 1nt response is NOT a piece of cheese, you have to bid a suit, even a 3 carder with less than 8ish.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-27, 16:05

View PostMrAce, on 2016-August-27, 02:40, said:

Are we all sure that 4 shows clubs after we already bid 3? How would you bid with

A
AKQTxxx
xx
AKQ

snip

A AKQTxxx xx AKQ is a 4S call after 3N. But maybe A AKQJxx xxx AKQ expresses your point better.

I would play 2H as forcing (but not 2m). 3H just says I am not worried about trump.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-August-27, 21:20

View PostPhil, on 2016-August-27, 16:05, said:

A AKQTxxx xx AKQ is a 4S call after 3N. But maybe A AKQJxx xxx AKQ expresses your point better.

I do not even understand what you tried to say. As you suggested I also play 3 means "do not worry about trump" Which makes next bids control.

Hand 1 makes slam opposing a control. Hand 2 does not. Hand 2 needs more than A or KJx even if you guess right.

If what you tried to say was AKQTxxx suit is not solid, vs a 1 NT response, I will take it on any given day.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-August-28, 03:01

View PostMrAce, on 2016-August-27, 21:20, said:

I do not even understand what you tried to say. As you suggested I also play 3 means "do not worry about trump" Which makes next bids control.

Hand 1 makes slam opposing a control. Hand 2 does not. Hand 2 needs more than A or KJx even if you guess right.

If what you tried to say was AKQTxxx suit is not solid, vs a 1 NT response, I will take it on any given day.

The hand with the doubleton is safe at the 5 level, the one with xxx isn't.

It's a lot easier if 2 is forcing, then 2/3 is clubs, 3 sets hearts and then 4 is a cue.

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-August-28, 04:09

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-August-28, 03:01, said:

The hand with the doubleton is safe at the 5 level, the one with xxx isn't.

It's a lot easier if 2 is forcing, then 2/3 is clubs, 3 sets hearts and then 4 is a cue.

And what did you think I said about 2 being forcing and about 3?

And what does 5 level have anything to do with it? Just because Phil said hand 1 should bid 4 over 3 NT? You will always be in danger with xxx at 5 level. I would probably sign off with xxx hand. Because I need KQJ(x) to make slam. K alone is not enough. KQx is not enough due to being in front of the opener. What will Phil do when pd bids 5? It can not be A and I will explain why.

Assuming that you, Phil and me are on same page about the meaning of 3, you are way too focused on looking at the strong hand types and missing to see the ocean on the boat. You do not pay attention to what pd did or did not do. What do you think 3 NT over 3 means when you told pd that we will play at least 4? Please don't tell me choice of games! That means pd does not have first round control in any of the other suits. That also means he has something useful in at least one of the other suits or he would have simply bid 4 over 3 with nothing.

KQJx
xxx
Qxx
xxx

Would bid 4 over 3

KJxx
xx
Axxx
xxx

Would bid 4 over 3

KJxx
xx
Kxxx
Jxx

Would bid 3 NT over 3. Then you bid 4, he bids 4 you now bid 4 and he bids 5. You do not want to play slam xx vs Kxxx when the opener is behind that K. With KQxx pd would bid 5 over 4. That does not mean AK, he already denied A of over 3 by bidding 3 NT.

All you need is a pd who understand what "setting the trump" means and can use 3 NT as a tool instead of choice of games AFTER you already told him/her which game we will play, if not slam.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users