BBO Discussion Forums: TPs replacing HCP is really dangerous and rediculous - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TPs replacing HCP is really dangerous and rediculous

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-26, 17:20

This is my hand traveller link : http://www.bridgebas...username=lycier
You will see a shocking matter, sometimes I really don't know if I should say, because this finding will show Total Points, as the basis application of Gib evaluation system, have some serious shortcomings which are very difficult to be repaired.

Classic hand-1

Classic hand-2

( Bizarre pass and bizarre lead )

So here I would make several simulating hands to show how Gib server works.

Hand-3

Hand-4

Hand-5

Hand-6

Hand-7

This is a simple operation mode of Gib bidding server.
Total Points have replaced HCP totally. The hands above have showed Gibs only just made simple addition and subtraction,its logical operation including bidding sequences are very rediculous, and such a serious mistake should mainly come from TPs basic application.If BBO ignores this flaw, even programmers work very very hard,it is still very difficult to gain great success in the future.
There are two Ace outside, that's to say there is 8HCP differences at least. TPs replacing HCP is really dangerous and rediculous.
I think almost of our replies are useless, only programmers know its exact reasons - programming issue or TPs basis application?

Any ideas?

#2 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-August-26, 17:50

Maybe Gib is too superstitious TPs.
I think such worse evaluation meant to be lonely in the future.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-26, 17:59

Yeah I think you are totally wrong and this hand has nothing to do with TP "replacing" HCP.

It has a lot more to do with:
1. Bidding system not really designed to handle 9+ card suits or debugged vs. 9+ cd suits and reasonable to do so since they are so rare.
2. No jump responses to 2 defined beyond 3. Some experts have specialized jump responses to 2 to handle one suited hands like this (e.g. 2-4 showing solid diamonds). They also are specialized agreements where there are no standard agreements, plus the bid comes up maybe once every 8 years so why bother.
3. after 2c-3d-3s, probably little debugging was done into the definitions and relative priorities of 4d/5d/6d/7d to make sure they were actually reasonable definitions. I'd force it to always bid 4d. It just happens to probably fall back on some weird rule that makes it try 6d/7d with these hands.

Nothing to do with TP vs. HCP. Everything to do with not having reasonable rules defined. Not super surprising to see it not know what to do with 9+ cd suits.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-August-26, 23:28

Hi Stephen Tu

First
Now I finally see, please you would make a honest comment, the facts are there, and you're making funny excuses.
See those evidences above in my simulating hands.
After 3 says " 5+,19+hcp,23+TPs",Gib W will start to make a simple addition operation.
- When holds 13 TPs :
23+TPs + 13+TPs = 36+TPs = grand slam contract
- When holds 9-12TPs :
23+TPs + 9-12TPs = 32-35TPs = slam contract

Second
See those explanations on 6 and 7 in all the hands above.
They only say " TPs", never involve "HCP".

Third
Stephen Tu, friendly remind you.
Whenever you made some comments on my threads, especially involed Gib evaluation, you usually said to me " nonsense", You are totally wrong".
Why would you become angry?
I have some exact evidences in all my threads,why would you ignore it? would you have some strong evidences to show your points are correct?
Even you are a expert, you would better take your good examples instead of making funny excuses.

#5 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-August-26, 23:43

Total Point is not perfect, it is good at many situation, however it also has a Achilles' Heel.
For example, only addition without subtraction in the dynamic bidding sequences of TP evaluation world.

#6 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 00:45

View Postlycier, on 2016-August-26, 23:28, said:

First
Now I finally see, please you would make a honest comment, the facts are there, and you're making funny excuses.
See those evidences above in my simulating hands.
After 3 says " 5+,19+hcp,23+TPs",Gib W will start to make a simple addition operation.
- When holds 13 TPs :
23+TPs + 13+TPs = 36+TPs = grand slam contract
- When holds 9-12TPs :
23+TPs + 9-12TPs = 32-35TPs = slam contract

Well if it is doing that, which I suppose is possible, then that's just due to lack of better rule set constraining when it should take such actions. Just because TP suggest trick taking potential for slam is there, which it is having so many trump tricks, doesn't mean it is supposed to jump to slam. It still has to check that it has enough first/second round controls in other suits for the level. And since it has a forcing 4 call there, there should be a way to add rules to force it to bid that instead of just leaping to a level suggested by TP since it doesn't know about the ace situation. Even more ideal would be to maybe have it jump to 4d over 2c to set trumps and show the nature of the hand immediately so the 2c opener can take captaincy. But super long semi-solid suits are pretty rare over 2c openers so I wouldn't consider it a high priority fix.

That doesn't mean that we are supposed to jettison total points out the window. I mean surely you don't want it to treat xxx xxx KQJx xxx as same trick taking potential as xx x KQJxxxxxx x despite having same number of HCP do you? TP still serve a purpose, to evaluate trick taking potential of a hand. It just needs tweaking for long suits, and additional rules to make it prioritize checking for sufficient aces before leaping to slam. This is a rule definition and priority problem, not a "shouldn't use TP" problem.

See those explanations on 6 and 7 in all the hands above.
They only say " TPs", never involve "HCP".

The rules for jumping to slam are undoubtedly bad here, and it should be forced never to do it. Doesn't mean TP should be abandoned, just means it shouldn't use TP as a rule for wild slam leaps in priority over lower forcing bids. It means needs better rules in places, not jumping to slam when you have alternatives.

Third

Stephen Tu, friendly remind you.
Whenever you made some comments on my threads, especially involed Gib evaluation, you usually said to me " nonsense", You are totally wrong".
Why would you become angry?
I have some exact evidences in all my threads,why would you ignore it? would you have some strong evidences to show your points are correct?

On previous threads, you do a lot of things that tend to really annoy other posters in this subforum, not just me.
- you tend to criticize human actions, when it's really completely irrelevant to the existence of a bug in the GIB rule database. Just because human South made a weird/bad bid, doesn't mean there isn't a bug in the North GIB code. You need to stop thinking of hands in terms of looking at all 4 hands when evaluating bidding bugs. Look only at a single hand, the auction to a certain point, and the bid GIB chooses there. Would it be reasonable if South had their bid? Pretend you cannot see the 3 other hands.

- you complicate threads by posting many multiple examples of the same hand, but where different actions were taken at various points. These really should be separated to other threads, the idea is to discuss one bug per thread. Even though it may have arisen from the same hand, these are *different bugs* because it's *different auctions*. Because again, the bids are different and we don't get to see any of the other hands, only the auction. Try to focus on just the particular auction brought up by the original poster, and only GIB actions. If you want to bring up other buggy auctions that happened at other tables that happened to be the same deal, separate them to different threads.

-when I do make specific points /objections/ questions for you to possibly dispute, instead of addressing them specifically, you completely ignore them. I do make an effort to address things you bring up, when you are sufficiently specific about what you are advocating. But often you are not very specific. And you never address individual points, you handwave argue things saying stuff like "oh it's all excuses and denial", instead of specifically picking apart *exactly* what you find wrong about my post. That doesn't create constructive discussion at all.

Make specific statements. Say *exactly* how you want GIB to calculate points instead of TP. Say *exactly* what bids you want GIB to make in which spots. Say *exactly* how you would change the definition for certain bids.

Otherwise it is impossible to have discussion, because we don't know what changes you are looking for.

My claim is that:
- TP is OK, could be formula tweaked here or there to deal with really long suits
- many auctions need to be tweaked so the ranges are reasonable. Using TP for ranges is OK. Some auctions should be to defined to use HCP minimums in addition to TP.
- on slam auctions blasting to slam based on TP total is ridiculous and should be fixed. Because of need for side suit controls, and because simply adding TP can have be too optimistic with too much duplication of values when both hands are shapely. Using more simulation in spots, prioritize ace asking bids or lower forcing bids in place of just random leaps to slam.

Which of these do you dispute? BE SPECIFIC.

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 01:13

My main objection to TP is GIB's preference for relying on TB over HCP when the most likely game is 3N after a minor suit fit is established.

I accept that distribution is not entirely irrelevant in hand evaluation for NT purposes, but I don't think that it has quite the importance that GIB attaches to it.

I also accept that it is not an easy problem to solve, because while 3N may be the most likely spot it is not always the only spot, and on occasion a minor suit game is preferable, at which time TP becomes more relevant.

So I don't have any answers to suggest, other than to aim for the more frequent target of 3N, and only add wait to TP adjustments if the auction proceeds beyond 3N.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-August-27, 02:05

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-August-27, 00:45, said:

This is a rule definition and priority problem, not a "shouldn't use TP" problem.

Which of these do you dispute? BE SPECIFIC.

Stephen Tu

However I have had two questions on all your replies.

First question :
Why would you always blame programming especially when encountered some serious TP issues? Do these issues have nothing to do with the shortcomings of Total Point? And why would Gib programming staff usually keep silent?

Second question:
It seems only Total Point is a perfect evaluation compared with other methods in your heart,yes or no?

#9 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-August-27, 02:19

Stephen Tu

I believe you absolutely do not have the courage to admit these issues on the basis application of Total Point. And you always have many good excuses.
Well and good.
I will provide a new strong evidence to show your points are totally wrong or partly serious wrong at least.
Wait, I need time, my new thread is Gib is wildly superstitious Total Point.

#10 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 09:32

View Postlycier, on 2016-August-27, 02:05, said:

First question :
Why would you always blame programming especially when encountered some serious TP issues?

Because I can see that adding rules, changing priorities, or tweaking ranges on some of these auctions where you blame the use of TP can easily make GIB choose better bids. Without entirely abandoning TP.

Do these issues have nothing to do with the shortcomings of Total Point?

Not a lot, in my opinion, which I explain pretty carefully to you. If you disagree, then you need to pull apart my individual statements. Otherwise your argument is completely not advanced and you are just repeating yourself in a totally generalized, completely unconvincing way. You need SPECIFICS.

What you are doing, essentially:
Lycier: "The problem is total points and they should be abandoned". (without specifying how to replace them)
Me: "No, not really, it could be fixed by adding rules A/B/C with certain priorities"
Lycier: "You are just making excuses. The problem is total points and they should be abandoned". (without specifying how to replace them)

You are just repeating yourself and not making your argument stronger at all. If you think I am wrong, to convince us what you SHOULD be saying is:
Lycier: "Your proposed fix of adding rules A/B/C would not work well because of _______".
Lycier: "Instead of TP, GIB should count this way: _______ (HCP only? a different formula of TP?). On this auction at this point it should choose bid ____. Bids ____ and _____ should be defined as exactly _____ and _____".

And why would Gib programming staff usually keep silent?

I have no idea why they went practically radio silent these past few years. It is frustrating when they don't keep us updated of what is going on behind the scenes and don't periodically show some sign that the bug reports are being looked at or that some update is in the works. Why would you ask me that, how would I know, as I am not affiliated with BBO in any way? I notice Josh Donn just started chiming in, presumably having joined BBO in some capacity, so that is a good sign.

It seems only Total Point is a perfect evaluation compared with other methods in your heart,yes or no?

No, absolutely not perfect. It certainly can be improved in some cases, I don't think it adds enough for long suits in some cases, and I think it devalues short aces and kings a little too much. It also would be better if it could dynamically adjust its total based on partner's and opponent's bids. It's just that distributional strength has to be taken into account somehow, it can't be totally ignored in favor of HCP only. AKQx xxx xxx xxx is a lot different hand than AKQxxxxx x xx xx in terms of trick taking power. You can't abandon the use of distribution entirely without making GIB bid even worse than it currently is.

Just repeating a claim that total point is ridiculous without specifying exactly what you want it changed to isn't a useful post. Be specific about how you want GIB to count.

If you think my proposed fixes won't work, then explain exactly why. Don't just ask me "why won't you agree with me and blame total points?". I already told you why, my proposed rules would fix GIB on these auctions. If you think this is wrong, then be specific what is wrong with proposed rules, don't just repeat yourself and say "it's total points, you are just making excuses and denial". Propose a better rule set, instead of just basically repeating "total points suck" over and over without suggesting fixes or saying exactly why proposed fix wouldn't work.

#11 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 09:34

I think if GIB used the 5cardMABBS system the perfect contract would have been reached. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users