• You cannot reply to this topic

GIB Plays Matchpoints

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-August-26, 04:58

I mean where to start :D :D :D
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-26, 06:15

View Posteagles123, on 2016-August-26, 04:58, said:

I mean where to start :D :D :D

hi eagles123,

ROFL! Would be a good start. I'll give Robot North a brownie point for not doubling 7 as it's possible, on a different layout of cards for 7 to be potentially on if East is void in , and West in . Or am I being generous? :)

The only reason I can surmise why Robot West bid 7 is based on the total points combined in both hands, 23+ total points for East and 13+ total points for West. Or did it have a rush of blood to the head, or perhaps put more accurately, an electrical surge through its circuits. (Sounds painful.)

Robots don't you just love them - not! But all in all, please don't complain as you probably got a top for that board :)

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-August-26, 07:19

View PostThe_Badger, on 2016-August-26, 06:15, said:

hi eagles123,

ROFL! Would be a good start. I'll give Robot North a brownie point for not doubling 7 as it's possible, on a different layout of cards for 7 to be potentially on if East is void in , and West in . Or am I being generous? :)

The only reason I can surmise why Robot West bid 7 is based on the total points combined in both hands, 23+ total points for East and 13+ total points for West. Or did it have a rush of blood to the head, or perhaps put more accurately, an electrical surge through its circuits. (Sounds painful.)

Robots don't you just love them - not! But all in all, please don't complain as you probably got a top for that board :)

no - 45% lol :D :D :D
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-26, 16:07

Hi, I am going to start replying to some complaints of GIB bugs on BBO forums.

On this particular one, obviously the problem is that GIB is just counting points to determine how high to bid, which doesn't work with a hand like this. I have an idea of how to partially mitigate this problem, which would be a rule that GIB could never jump to a small or grand slam if there is some forcing bid it could make lower than the level of Blackwood (like 4 over 3 would have been here). It would need some fine-tuning, and it wouldn't solve all the problems, but it would be a good start, and sometimes partner might then bid Blackwood themselves and could place the contract safely. This rule isn't eminent but hopefully it will be implemented in a future upgrade.

Thanks
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#5 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-26, 16:37

View Postjdonn, on 2016-August-26, 16:07, said:

a rule that GIB could never jump to a small or grand slam if there is some forcing bid it could make lower than the level of Blackwood (like 4 over 3 would have been here)

That would be a good idea; but even without that extra rule, surely there is no harm in using Blackwood before leaping straight to a slam.

Though I guess if Gib thinks it is guaranteed to have all of the aces, then hears it doesn't, it will think the hand is a contradiction and not know what to do regardless.

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-28, 16:15

It won't use Blackwood for one suit (spades here) if bidding slam in another suit.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#7 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-28, 19:28

View Postjdonn, on 2016-August-28, 16:15, said:

It won't use Blackwood for one suit (spades here) if bidding slam in another suit.

Ah, yes, good point. My mistake.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users