BBO Discussion Forums: 4th suit round-force only -- what are the issues? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4th suit round-force only -- what are the issues?

#1 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-25, 11:33

Since I've always been playing 4th suit round-force (+showing extra values), and never felt I had much (if any) issues with that approach, just curious what people perceive are the drawbacks?

I am again talking abt the sits where responder bids 1-over-1, and next round 4th suit on the 1- or 2-level.

Would be interested if some could give some situations/hands they feel are problematic?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-25, 12:19

My main problem is that I don't know what it means. Does opener have to jump in response to fsf in order to force? Suppose opener doesn't jump: does responder have to jump then in order to force? Or do you have a rule like e.g. 2nt or 3m by either partner can be passed but 3M and 4m not?

I can't imagine any such agreement to be efficient but more importantly I have never discussed it in details with any partner so whenever a partnet insists on playing one round force it makes me nervous whenever I use fsf with a slamish hand - how can I be sure partner won't pass me in a part score in 3rd or 4th round?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 12:44

1D-1S
2C-2H (4th suit F1)
2S-?

This auction poses some questions that need sorting out:
1) is 2S forcing? I think it makes some sense to play it as forcing to 2NT.
2) what does 3S show? what about 2NT vs 3NT?
3) how does responder show slam interest in his suit now that opener showed 3-card support? There are two options I guess: 3H followed by 4S, or one of the 4m bids (probably 4C since if responder had SI in clubs he could bid that the second round, c.f. the corresponding sequence where opener has opened a major and responder has 3-card support with a lot of strength).

Better go e-mail my partner... I'm pretty sure we've agreed on (1) and (2) but not (3).

I think 4SF one round is playable if you agree these kinds of follow-ups, but if not, you may have to guess/punt/put your bidding cards down firmly so partner knows it's forcing ;) on some hands. There's also going to be loss of definition on some slam hands but I think that's a minor issue compared to working out which sequences are forcing vs nonforcing.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 12:57

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-August-25, 12:19, said:

My main problem is that I don't know what it means. Does opener have to jump in response to fsf in order to force? Suppose opener doesn't jump: does responder have to jump then in order to force? Or do you have a rule like e.g. 2nt or 3m by either partner can be passed but 3M and 4m not?

I can't imagine any such agreement to be efficient but more importantly I have never discussed it in details with any partner so whenever a partnet insists on playing one round force it makes me nervous whenever I use fsf with a slamish hand - how can I be sure partner won't pass me in a part score in 3rd or 4th round?

I'd say the rules comes quite logically...
In the vast majority of cases, responder bids 4SF simply because he is invitational or stronger, and either lacks a stopper in the unbid suit or has a 5-card suit (checking if opener has 3-card support).
So obviously, 2NT from both players shows minimum and can be passed out -- if you have extras, you jump to 3NT instead.

If opener rebids his first suit over 4SF, it also shows minimum and can be passed.

A different case is when responder has a 6-card suit and game-strength. He uses 4SF, then rebids his own suit, which is always GF without jumping (ex 1-1-2-2-2-2),
since with an invitational hand he would jump-rebid in the second round (1-1-2-3), rather than 4SF.

Other than that, 4SF always shows extra values, so if responder first bids 2-over-1 (SAYC-ish), then 4SF, it is GF.
If opener reverses, 4SF is GF.
And 4SF on the 3-level, logically, is GF.

#5 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 13:16

View Postahydra, on 2016-August-25, 12:44, said:

1D-1S
2C-2H (4th suit F1)
2S-?

This auction poses some questions that need sorting out:
1) is 2S forcing? I think it makes some sense to play it as forcing to 2NT.

I agree with you. But if I was unsure, I would jump to 3S, just to make sure :) -- now having described my hand very well, and responder will q-bid if slam-interest.

2) what does 3S show? what about 2NT vs 3NT?

2NT .. since responder was not interested in 3-card support and is limited, logically, 2NT would show the invitational without stopper.
On the other hand, opener has indicated singelton in the unstopped suit, so this seems very rare (half-stopper perhaps?). But probably, you dont need it at all :D

3) how does responder show slam interest in his suit now that opener showed 3-card support? There are two options I guess: 3H followed by 4S, or one of the 4m bids (probably 4C since if responder had SI in clubs he could bid that the second round, c.f. the corresponding sequence where opener has opened a major and responder has 3-card support with a lot of strength).

Yes, with slam-interest, repeating the 4SF or just start q-bidding is logical.

#6 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 13:23

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-August-25, 12:57, said:

I'd say the rules comes quite logically...
In the vast majority of cases, responder bids 4SF simply because he is invitational or stronger, and either lacks a stopper in the unbid suit or has a 5-card suit (checking if opener has 3-card support).
So obviously, 2NT from both players shows minimum and can be passed out -- if you have extras, you jump to 3NT instead.

If opener rebids his first suit over 4SF, it also shows minimum and can be passed.

A different case is when responder has a 6-card suit and game-strength. He uses 4SF, then rebids his suit, which is always GF without jumping (ex 1-1-2-2-2-2),
since with an invitational hand he would jump-rebid in the second round (1-1-2-3), rather than 4SF.

Other than that, 4SF always shows extra values, so if responder first bids 2-over-1 (SAYC-ish), then 4SF, it is GF.
If opener reverses, 4SF is GF.
And 4SF on the 3-level is, logically, GF.

Also, if responder does 4SF, then supports opener's second suit, it's also GF (ex 1-1-2-2-2NT-3), since with invitational he would have raised, instead of using 4SF (ex 1-1-2-3).

#7 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 13:33

I think 4SF one round is playable if you agree these kinds of follow-ups, but if not, you may have to guess/punt/put your bidding cards down firmly so partner knows it's forcing ;) on some hands. There's also going to be loss of definition on some slam hands but I think that's a minor issue compared to working out which sequences are forcing vs nonforcing.

Somebody message'd me, people play 4SF=GF, just "because they are too lazy"... (to learn a few details)
Maybe there is some truth to that, then! :D

#8 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 15:59

The problem with one round force is it makes life too difficult if opener has extras. For example:

1H-1S
2C-2D
3S

What do the various 4-level bids mean now? If cuebids, how do you show support for clubs or hearts. If natural, how do you agree spades and find out about controls? It is particularly important when playing MPs where you really don't want to commit to a minor unless you have to.
Wayne Somerville

#9 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-August-25, 16:10

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-August-25, 15:59, said:

The problem with one round force is it makes life too difficult if opener has extras. For example:

1H-1S
2C-2D
3S

What do the various 4-level bids mean now? If cuebids, how do you show support for clubs or hearts. If natural, how do you agree spades and find out about controls? It is particularly important when playing MPs where you really don't want to commit to a minor unless you have to.

When I played 4SF not forcing to game, it was only not forcing to game if the next bid was 2NT.

#10 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 16:17

View Postjogs, on 2016-August-25, 16:10, said:

When I played 4SF not forcing to game, it was only not forcing to game if the next bid was 2NT.

Usually when a pair played 4SF as 1RF, 2M is passable, hence the problem in the auction I provided.
Wayne Somerville

#11 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-August-25, 16:19

I like forcing to 2NT or 3 of a minor(only after a 2NT bid).

#12 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 16:36

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-August-25, 15:59, said:

1H-1S
2C-2D
3S

Yes, that's the situation ahydra referred to above.
Makes sense to have opener's 2S-over-2D forcing to 2NT, then responder can clarify.

#13 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 16:58

If you play that opener's 2S is forcing, then what does responder do with 5 spades and invitational values? If that is a 3S bid, then what about with slam interest? ahyda's suggestion of 3H then 4C might not be available.
Wayne Somerville

#14 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 17:35

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-August-25, 16:58, said:

If you play that opener's 2S is forcing, then what does responder do with 5 spades and invitational values?

2N? With 3154, opener should rebid 2, not 2.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#15 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 17:45

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-August-25, 16:58, said:

If you play that opener's 2S is forcing, then what does responder do with 5 spades and invitational values? If that is a 3S bid, then what about with slam interest? ahyda's suggestion of 3H then 4C might not be available.

After opener's 2S:
3C is GF/slamtry with club-support,
3S is invitational with 5 spades,
4C/4D is slam-try, q-bid with 5+spades

#16 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 17:53

View PostJinksy, on 2016-August-25, 17:35, said:

2N? With 3154, opener should rebid 2, not 2.

I assume you mean 3514.

But for me, I dislike direct raise of a 4-card suit with only 3-card support.
Pd tends to become overly optimistic, when he expects a 4-4 fit but only gets 4-3 (and the next time maybe overly pessimistic when it turns out I then have 4 :huh:).

3514 is what manudude's sequence primarily shows, of course.

#17 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 18:26

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-August-25, 17:53, said:

I assume you mean 3514.

Yep.

But for me, I dislike direct raise of a 4-card suit with only 3-card support.
Pd tends to become overly optimistic, when he expects a 4-4 fit but only gets 4-3 (and the next time maybe overly pessimistic when it turns out I then have 4 :huh:).

I also find agreements go badly when my partner is not playing them, but I rarely think of it as a compelling reason for not taking them up.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 18:41

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-August-25, 13:33, said:

Somebody message'd me, people play 4SF=GF, just "because they are too lazy"... (to learn a few details)
Maybe there is some truth to that, then! :D

Well, I don't know about that. Using the secondary jumps as invitational makes sense because then you keep lower on the better hands, and also it seems that the invitational jumps don't come up very often. So it's very rarely that bidding space is wasted after three suits have been bid.

To be honest, though, there was a time when I played 4SF to game only if it was on the three-level or responder had reversed. I don't remember having serious problems with it. It's probably more important to play the method that makes you happy. Some feel relaxed when they have established a GF early -- I mean, look how popular 2/1 GF is in some parts of the world!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-August-26, 00:03

I would like to invite every friend's attention to "the theory of fourth suiting forcing at least for one round "in the "Super Precision By Belladonna and Garozzo"published quite some years back.They give the following interpretation on the fourth suit bid as under,
A) A genuine suit.OR
B)A cue bid with support in one of the two suits bid by the opener.OR
C) Denying a guard in the suit for NT.
Whether it was A, B,or C is made clear by his bid on the next round.Opener bids NT with a NT

guard in the fourth suit.
It is easy for Precision system players where 1DHS are limited to 11/15 HCP. to adopt to this scheme.Any Standard System players can easily fit the same in their system as I personally do.
In the book it is made explicitly clear that," Opener NEVER bids the fourth suit for the © mentioned above
At a personal level,I have found this method of interpreting the fourth suit bid by responder as the least confusing method

#20 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-26, 00:11

View PostJinksy, on 2016-August-25, 18:26, said:

I also find agreements go badly when my partner is not playing them, but I rarely think of it as a compelling reason for not taking them up.

After auctions like 1X-1-2, I dont think the issue is so much abt "following your agreement" really...

It works OK when responder happens to have a 5-card suit,
but it's just too darn hard to evaluate your hand properly, when you dont know if we are looking at a 4-3 or 4-4 fit.
In borderline cases you are not sure what strain... are we pondering a possible 3NT or a 4 contract?

Even worse when opps get into the bidding and you consider competing to the 3 level or not....

Therefore I just bid naturally, esp in an uncontested auction.
If they intervene, luckily, support-doubles come in very handy...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users