• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-24, 19:49

Matchpoints, good field NV vs NV.

Txx AKxx AKJTx x

1D p p 1S
?

1D is 10-15, 2+
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-24, 21:30

View PostPhil, on 2016-August-24, 19:49, said:

Matchpoints, good field NV vs NV.

Txx AKxx AKJTx x

1D p p 1S
?

1D is 10-15, 2+

This is a rock of a 15 count, I'm backing in for sure, would 2H show just a 4-5 or would it suggest more shape than I have?

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-24, 21:59

I will try pass, pard is still allowed to balance.

I had my opening bid. The one thing the big one thing is I do not want to bid both my hand and partners hand.

In any event I do not think we are allowed to ask detailed questions about our agreements regarding competitive bidding at this point.

------

now if you want to upgrade this hand to a strong club that is another discussion.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-24, 23:07

View Postbigbenvic, on 2016-August-24, 21:30, said:

This is a rock of a 15 count, I'm backing in for sure, would 2H show just a 4-5 or would it suggest more shape than I have?

To me it will suggest more shape and not hcps.

Why don't we double and if pd bids 2-3 correct it to diamonds, to show red suits?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-25, 00:55

hi phil,

You wouldn't have had this problem as you'd be bidding 2 now if you'd opened 1 which I assume is 16+

That hand is an upgrade. K&R puts it at 18.95!

It looked an upgrade, it smelt an upgrade, and lo and behold it is a well-serious upgrade :)

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 04:14

View PostThe_Badger, on 2016-August-25, 00:55, said:

hi phil,

You wouldn't have had this problem as you'd be bidding 2 now if you'd opened 1 which I assume is 16+

That hand is an upgrade. K&R puts it at 18.95!

It looked an upgrade, it smelt an upgrade, and lo and behold it is a well-serious upgrade :)

This: my first thought was that this is not a 15 count

#7 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-August-25, 08:42

I considered 1C.

Partner has xxx Xxxx qx jt9x. In order to win any matchpoints on this hand you need to compete to 3H.

If I open 1C it would start 1D 1S. 2D by me buries the hearts. If I pass, partner can reopen with a x, but it doesn't help us much either.

After some consideration 1N over 1S should show this hand type or at least a 2nd place to play. I don't know if that's enough to get him to take a call bUT it's the best I can see.
Hi y'all!

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 10:56

1NT is usually 5+-4

You are heavily outgunned on this hand, don't thin we have anything to win bidding.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-August-25, 11:28

View PostFluffy, on 2016-August-25, 10:56, said:

1NT is usually 5+-4

You are heavily outgunned on this hand, don't thin we have anything to win bidding.

Really ?

x, Qxxxx, any 7 cards makes 4 decent, yes you haven't beaten 4 yet, but it could easily be your hand.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-August-25, 14:04

View PostPhil, on 2016-August-25, 08:42, said:

I considered 1C.

Partner has xxx Xxxx qx jt9x. In order to win any matchpoints on this hand you need to compete to 3H.

If I open 1C it would start 1D 1S. 2D by me buries the hearts. If I pass, partner can reopen with a x, but it doesn't help us much either.

After some consideration 1N over 1S should show this hand type or at least a 2nd place to play. I don't know if that's enough to get him to take a call bUT it's the best I can see.

What do you think double and correcting club response to diamonds show? You are playing precision so your DBL can not be due to monster hcp. It is take out. Pd will understand your problem when you correct clubs to diamonds, since you did not bid 2 over 1. This way direct 2 over 1 spade shows more shape and with this 5-4 you do not have to go to 3 level in case no fit.

This also allows you to play 1 NT 6+4 minors, where 2 shows 5-5 or more shape.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-August-25, 14:23

View PostMrAce, on 2016-August-25, 14:04, said:

What do you think double and correcting club response to diamonds show? You are playing precision so your DBL can not be due to monster hcp. It is take out. Pd will understand your problem when you correct clubs to diamonds, since you did not bid 2 over 1. This way direct 2 over 1 spade shows more shape and with this 5-4 you do not have to go to 3 level in case no fit.

This also allows you to play 1 NT 6+4 minors, where 2 shows 5-5 or more shape.

That's great if we get a free run but the opponents might raise spades and we are rolling out our plan at the three level -which is less dangerous if they have a fit I suppose.

Not crazy about using 1N to parse out different minor hands although maybe 5D and 4 of a side suit is reasonable.
Hi y'all!

#12 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-August-26, 12:29

If you decide to open a limited 1 , then I think you've got to double as you've about the best hand you ever could have.

If partner bids 2 , I think you have an easy 2 rebid showing strength and . There's not much danger in partner bidding 3 after an initial pass. If partner does somehow cough out a 3 bid, I think you seat. It certainly looks like you've 4 tricks for partner if not any .

Passing out 1 is unlikely to get you anything at matchpoints.

#13 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 15:42

View PostMrAce, on 2016-August-24, 23:07, said:

To me it will suggest more shape and not hcps.

Why don't we double and if pd bids 2-3 correct it to diamonds, to show red suits?
That would work really well unless spades got raised (or jump raised) and now partner bids clubs.

Edit: I now see that Phil posted the same thing.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-August-27, 21:26

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-August-27, 15:42, said:

That would work really well unless spades got raised (or jump raised) and now partner bids clubs.

Edit: I now see that Phil posted the same thing.

What you and Phil are missing (to my surprise) is, if spades get raised, especially jump raised, that places pd with spade shortness, which means you will be even safer to correct clubs to diamonds.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users