I will try 3nt, pard was allowed to pass 1nt with a minimum I hope

fwiw 1nt was fine over 1s.

#5 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-24, 08:29

hi wank,

Even with a bit extra, I'm inclined to bid just 2. Partner will know you are 7-10 range for your 1NT. By bidding again - was 2 forcing in this sequence? Some might play it not - I believe you are showing extras. It all depends what your agreements are over opponent's overcalls, whether a 2 bid over their 1 overcall is a free bid (and a different sort of hand, of course.)

Mmmm...it'll be interesting to see other commentators interpretation...

A skinny game contract could be there, maybe not, 2 just allows more exploration, I feel.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-24, 08:33

2. With those spots it should play well enough or better, if partner bids 2 we rate to be on a 6-1 fit instead of a 4-3 in clubs and the only downside if it's a misfit is playing 3 clubs on the moyse instead of 2.

Meanwhile partner may have some pretty decent hands with awkward shape (best case 1-5-3-4) and if they make a positive move over 2 I have a max in context of the 1nt call.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-24, 08:46

3NT.

#8 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-24, 08:51

2C shows real clubs here as partner could have passed 1NT, so 2D has a very real chance of being played opposite a singleton.

If you're going to play partner for having some diamonds anyway, I would prefer 2NT which seems about right on values. I think partner can bid 2C with 17 here so I don't like pass. 3NT should have play opposite most accepting hands that have either the DA or a spade honor.

If I had responded 1NT forcing (playing 2/1GF and Flannery so 1S shows 5), and partner bid 2C, 2NT seems obvious. Why should the overcall change that? 3NT is a great contract opposite x, Axxxx, Axx, KQxx and it's not clear that partner will even accept with that but I'll take my +150 in matchpoints and let those who pass 2C or bid 2D try to beat that score.

#9 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-24, 08:58

View Postalok c, on 2016-August-24, 08:46, said:

3NT.
That I can't see. If partner has a typical minimum like xx, AKxxx, Jx, KJxx, we are losing 4 spades and the DA. Overcallers that have S-AKQxx without the DA are allowed to duck at trick 1 and their partners' top of a doubleton lead should indicate that play.

#10 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-24, 09:11

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-August-24, 08:58, said:

That I can't see. If partner has a typical minimum like xx, AKxxx, Jx, KJxx, we are losing 4 spades and the DA. Overcallers that have S-AKQxx without the DA are allowed to duck at trick 1 and their partners' top of a doubleton lead should indicate that play.

If partner has a typical minimum hand as cited,Imo he would'nt have ventured over 1NT knowing the limitation of the responder.

#11 User is offline   Hyperon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-24, 09:35

2NT

#12 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-24, 10:06

i seem to be alone on this, but I would bid 3C.

Partner, for whatever his reason, declined to leave me in NT. With a decent hand and only one of my highs in spades, I have no reason to disagree with him. I am not sure just where this is going, but I imagine we can make 3C. MyNT call limited my hand, so partner should ot expect much more. No doubt he would like it if I had a fourth club, but Axx may well be enough.
Ken

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-August-24, 10:35

delete, misread auction as starting with 1

Also I'd have started with 2

#14 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-August-24, 11:09

Ah. I am now deleting my response to the above response, now deleted. :)
Ken

#15 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-24, 12:14

With this texture, I like 2D first. If I get a spade raise on my left I don't want partner to think there's too much wasted. I know I'll hear 2H and 2N now seems perfect.

1N isn't terrible and I don't hate it. I'm probably endplayed into 2N now. 2D just feels wrong (should be 6 i think) with the spade lead coming through and partner is likely short anyway.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#16 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-August-24, 23:44

I personally do not like the 1NT bid made earlier.Considering the total misfit in hearts,some may laugh ,playing negative dbl I would have made it over opponents 1S.And over partners 2C I will respond 2D.Since I have not bid 2D earlier and neither have
bid 2 H(doubleton support)or passed or raised clubs opener can plainly see my hand as 4153 with 10/11HCP and a fairly decent diamond suit.

#17 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 02:40

I preferred 1nt the previous round because i could pass 2h happily, whereas over 2d-2h i would be tempted to bid again

#18 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 07:03

I am bidding 2D. Though it is non-forcing, it is nevertheless unambiguously and unequivocally highly constructive and forward going. (2D cannot be a sign-off since you would have passed over 1S rather than bid 1NT with that kind of hand.)

Partner has pulled 1NT to show a second suit. That decision strongly suggests that partner has length in two suits and likely spade shortness. So, after bidding 1NT - which showed respectable yet limited values (e.g., 7/8 to 10 HCP) with some values in spades - I can't have a good six card suit worth bidding. So, if I now bid my own suit after partner claims a 2 suiter, this must be concentrated values. I might have 2 hearts or club support and, if partner would be excited by either, that implies some kind of modest support for diamonds. Which means my spade values - just the JTxx - are very desirable opposite shortness.

If partner bids 2H next, I will follow with 3C. This has to show only 3 card support ... if I had 4 card club support and a good hand, I could have cue bid 2S.

If partner bids 3C, I should pass.

But, if partner has diamond support, I should hear 2S or 3D, in which case the auction should be easy since all I need to do is show my club value. That is, I will bid 3C if partner comes to life with 2S or bid 4C if partner bids 3D.

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-August-25, 07:15

View PostCaitlynne, on 2016-August-25, 07:03, said:

I am bidding 2D. Though it is non-forcing, it is nevertheless unambiguously and unequivocally highly constructive and forward going. (2D cannot be a sign-off since you would have passed over 1S rather than bid 1NT with that kind of hand.)

Partner has pulled 1NT to show a second suit. That decision strongly suggests that partner has length in two suits and likely spade shortness. So, after bidding 1NT - which showed respectable yet limited values (e.g., 7/8 to 10 HCP) with some values in spades - I can't have a good six card suit worth bidding. So, if I now bid my own suit after partner claims a 2 suiter, this must be concentrated values. I might have 2 hearts or club support and, if partner would be excited by either, that implies some kind of modest support for diamonds. Which means my spade values - just the JTxx - are very desirable opposite shortness.

If partner bids 2H next, I will follow with 3C. This has to show only 3 card support ... if I had 4 card club support and a good hand, I could have cue bid 2S.

If partner bids 3C, I should pass.

But, if partner has diamond support, I should hear 2S or 3D, in which case the auction should be easy since all I need to do is show my club value. That is, I will bid 3C if partner comes to life with 2S or bid 4C if partner bids 3D.

Not sure I agree, would you not bid 1N then 2 with AQ10, x, J109xxxx, xx ?

#20 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-August-25, 08:45

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-August-25, 07:15, said:

Not sure I agree, would you not bid 1N then 2 with AQ10, x, J109xxxx, xx ?

I think 2D is very likely to end the auction. Partner hears this auction and thinks: I heard his 1NT, I told him that a club contract is likely to be better, presumably showing a shapely hand with hearts and clubs, and he now says he prefers 2D. I have no reason to overrule this choice, I pass.

Maybe 2D is a good contract, maybe not, but I think that it will be the contract if I bid 2D.

I will be interested in hearing what actually happened here. Maybe I am nuts but I think a 2D call will be passed on almost any holding that is consistent with the bidding so far.
Ken

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users