BBO Discussion Forums: Yes or no? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yes or no?

#21 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-August-24, 08:04

Wanks hand does not deserve a 5H bid at all!If no agreement about dealing with such situations has been done earlier it is worth only abid of 4H and nothing more.It's a five loser hand and 2S over callers hand is completely unknown.It has not promised anything except a good spade suit and an Ace outside perhaps.Keeping this in mind there is nothing to get excited about in this hand .As a 2S overcaller,I will note a thing or two. Such a bid asks overcaller to bid six holding a top honor in Heart is one way and the other is to bid six with aces of D and S.
Since there is much darkness surrounding partners expectations I shall PASS to be on a safe side.

#22 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-24, 17:31

I would not have bid 5 on that hand, but Wank is a much better player than me - and come to that, than you.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#23 User is offline   forgo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-24, 18:26

I bid 6 hearts! !!p must be asking about hearts!!?? I have queen

#24 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-25, 07:51

5 is a limit bid.
I got this wrong as well but we were short changed by dummy. As others have said, partner could be void or what would he do with xx AKJ10xxx Axx x ?

#25 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 17:42

I can't think of any other hand that bids 5 and goes down in 6. I would had bet for club void everyday of the week.

#26 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2016-August-28, 06:54

Here is how i see it.

How many losers do we expect for 5H ?

a 2S red overcall on a bad day is going to be one cover card.

KQxxxx
x
Qxxx
Kx

it may be worse than this with a 7th spades.

Most of the times its going to be 2 cover cards but it still going to be 3+ a fair amount of times.

I think that 5H is 4 losers, 3 losers is not only super rare but we will all force to slam with this. With 5 i would just signoff hoping that if overcall got 4 cover he will make an extra move. Im confident that 90+% of the players will agree that 5H is 4 losers.

Obviously the 5H bidder should be convinced that the cases where overcaller got 3 cover cards outweight the cases of 1 cover card.
But he should also think about cases where overcaller got 2 covers but something bad happen like a S ruff or a Qxx in H.
The most important one he should think about cases where his partner is going to think that hes got 3 cover but got only 2.

2920,1930,2821, etc these are all cases where the K of !D is going to be a cover. So its normal that the !DK will be misevaluated.
There is also cases where hes got only 8H but a minor ace with those case the !H Q will be seen as half a cover.

Axxxxx
Qx
AQx
xx

i would really think my hand got 3 covers and raise to 6H.

Here I think that the trap is that advancer hand make the QH and the K of !D not being cover cards. So i guess cases where overcaller will get it wrong are high enough to make 5H a slight underdog proposition.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#27 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2016-August-28, 07:01

I agree wiht Fluffy, I think 6H is normal with overcaller hand.

2920,1930,0841(!DA) etc are all cases where we overcaller got 3 covers.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users