• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Light overcall against multi

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-19, 10:24

IMPs, you play natural overcalls, 3 would be strong, 4= diamonds and a major.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-19, 10:35

-Lot of wasted hcps. Basically I am looking at 7 working hcps.
-Very good spots in both our long suits.
-Vulnerability is favorable.
-We have shape

It is between PASS and 2. I would bid but I would never argue with passers.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2016-August-19, 11:31

Follow ups:

If you bid 4

Spoiler

If you bid 2

Spoiler

If you pass

Spoiler

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-19, 12:13

4 would be a much stronger hand for me, pass then 3 is diamonds and hearts weaker, which is what I would do, but you may not have this available.

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-19, 14:05

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-August-19, 12:13, said:

4 would be a much stronger hand for me, pass then 3 is diamonds and hearts weaker, which is what I would do, but you may not have this available.

You may not have this available either, if 2 is passed out.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-19, 14:20

View PostVampyr, on 2016-August-19, 14:05, said:

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-August-19, 12:13, said:

Do we really care? I think we are bound for a decent result most of the time if:
We have hearts and diamonds
We have a weakish hand
Partner didn't have the values to balance

I would think that typically
we can't make much ourselves
they can make 2 easily
they don't stand a chance in 2

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-August-19, 14:23

View PostVampyr, on 2016-August-19, 14:05, said:

It's a multi, won't be passed out often, if it is, am I too worried with 5 of them ? partner still has a bid

#8 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-19, 14:39

Hi Fluffy,

We will assume that opener has a weak 2 hand. I think a poignant question here is what system are your teammates playing at the other table? If they are not playing the multi, I presume the opener would have bid 2.

Can we have overcalled a 2 opener with this hand? Obviously not. So that's a good reason to get involved over a multi 2 because we can. 2 is enough I feel. 4 is a Jumping Michael's leap in the dark bid that might be rather optimistic.

As the opponents have the anchor suit s they can possibly always outbid us, but we might be able to swindle a couple of part scores at each table, or a vulnerable game at one, and a sacrifice at another.

It's not ideal to overcall, and like MrAce I wouldn't argue with pass either, but the shape and the vulnerability are favourable, and would I overcall a 1 opener with a 2 Michael's Cue Bid with this hand? Yes!

So a 2 overcall isn't so bad in my opinion. Once in a while you have to throw caution to the wind.

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2016-August-19, 17:01

It is a BBO training session on Main Bridge Club, so XIMPs against randoms.

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-19, 19:22

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-August-19, 14:23, said:

It's a multi, won't be passed out often, if it is, am I too worried with 5 of them ? partner still has a bid

I once played in a national pairs final against a pair whose strong option for their Multi was 29-31 balanced. Leafing through their CC I noticed that they had another way to bid 29-31 balanced. And then of course there are weak-only multis. So I think that the possibility of a Multi (depending on agreements) being passed out is non-negligable, but yeah, if partner can't scape up a balancing bid we may be well out of it.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-August-20, 01:57

Fast reply is a fast PASS.

#12 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-20, 02:08

View PostFluffy, on 2016-August-19, 11:31, said:

Follow ups:

If you bid 4

Spoiler

If you bid 2

Spoiler

If you pass

Spoiler

I am dubious about LHO bidding 2S. This is a rare reply which indicates a hand willing to play in 3+H opposite a weak 2 in H but only willing to play in 2S opposite a weak 2 in spades. I think it much more likely that LHO bids 2H and RHO bids 2S and now it is your bid. In this case, we are probably outgunned in spades and I now use Leaping Michaels, which must be weak as I did not use it on the first round

If 2S was indeed the bid, I would pass feeling fairly confident that either partner has a spade stack or they have messed up and missed a laydown 4S

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-20, 04:35

View Postnekthen, on 2016-August-20, 02:08, said:

I am dubious about LHO bidding 2S. This is a rare reply which indicates a hand willing to play in 3+H opposite a weak 2 in H but only willing to play in 2S opposite a weak 2 in spades. I think it much more likely that LHO bids 2H and RHO bids 2S and now it is your bid. In this case, we are probably outgunned in spades and I now use Leaping Michaels, which must be weak as I did not use it on the first round

YES! Your pd will understand that you have a weak leaping michaels because you did not use it on the first round.

What do you expect your pd to do with this information, when you are already at 4 level and get doubled?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-20, 04:41

View Postnekthen, on 2016-August-20, 02:08, said:

I am dubious about LHO bidding 2S. This is a rare reply which indicates a hand willing to play in 3+H opposite a weak 2 in H but only willing to play in 2S opposite a weak 2 in spades.

I'm not sure why you think 2S is a rare reply. I see (and bid) it all the time. In fact I would guess it's the second most common response to a multi 2D.

#15 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2016-August-20, 04:53

Pass looks obvious on the first round. If I bid, partner will almost certainly carry us too high.

After 2-p-2-p;p I'd bid 2NT, which I think shows any two suits. There's not much reason to play this as specifically both minors, as it's probably a partscore hand, and LHO is unlikely to bid 3.

If it had gone 2-p-2-p;2, there would be more reason to play 2NT as something specific, as LHO might be about to raise spades.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-August-20, 05:38

View PostVampyr, on 2016-August-19, 19:22, said:

I once played in a national pairs final against a pair whose strong option for their Multi was 29-31 balanced. Leafing through their CC I noticed that they had another way to bid 29-31 balanced. And then of course there are weak-only multis. So I think that the possibility of a Multi (depending on agreements) being passed out is non-negligable, but yeah, if partner can't scape up a balancing bid we may be well out of it.

I thought when your multi had to have a strong option, it had to be of reasonable frequency.

This is not a weak only multi as you can see if you reply to the OP and check what was typed to see the bit that disappears off the right hand side of the comment.

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-20, 06:54

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-August-20, 05:38, said:

I thought when your multi had to have a strong option, it had to be of reasonable frequency.

I think the event was Level 5, but I don't think this requirement still exists at Level 4 either.

This is not a weak only multi as you can see if you reply to the OP and check what was typed to see the bit that disappears off the right hand side of the comment.

OK. Still it might be more interesting if your second suit were clubs.

#18 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-20, 07:06

A good rule in imp play is never play weak over weak.

If you give a overcall of 2h or 4d (to show 5-5) gets you into trouble if west is strong.

So just pass and see what will happen.

If it goes 2d-p-2s-p// p-? you can bid 2nt to show a 5-5 outside s for take out weaker than introduced directly.

After 2d-p-2nt-... ending in 4s you can bid 4nt to show your 5-5 (to decide if to bid 4nt take into account what kind of strenght east showed after the asking bid of west).

If a bid of (2nt) 4nt can only show 5-5 in the two lowest suits this hand can only be bid with a lot of risk.

So pass would be my advice and make a agreement with your p that (2nt) 4nt is takeout with any 5-5 in the given bid sequances.

#19 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-20, 08:21

View Postsfi, on 2016-August-20, 04:41, said:

I'm not sure why you think 2S is a rare reply. I see (and bid) it all the time. In fact I would guess it's the second most common response to a multi 2D.

Not so much rare, but when I have 5 hearts and 1 spade, it seems unusual

#20 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-20, 08:23

View Postsfi, on 2016-August-20, 04:41, said:

Yep, we bid 2S with any hand that
- has two or fewer spades and
- has three or more hearts and
- does not have the values to invite game opposite a weak-two and
- has at least four points (in case partner has a strong option).

That's a lot of hands and 2S is a high frequency bid.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users